Buyer beware!!!

MrMoto

Buyer beware!!!
« on: 18 Mar 2010, 02:09 am »
Hi folks! I'm new to this forum so I'll start by introducing myself:

My name is Mario and I live in Montreal, QC (Canada). I'm 46 years old (according to my drivers licence anyway) and have been enjoying music and audio stuff for a while.

I recently got my hands on a pair of WLM LaScala monitors from Vinnie.

I though I'd share my experience with Vinnie on this forum:

It all started last fall when I decided to give the speakers a try. I listen to a wide variety of genres and need a speaker that will do it a ll.Vinnie suggested the monitors over the floorstanders, since my room is mid-size. I got a pair of stands from Skylan to support them.

First impressions were mixed. They sounded thin, with very little bass and there was this "glare" in the mids... The sound was very articulate though. I asked Vinnie if I could trade up for the floorstanders.
He suggested That I try to position the speakers differently, fill the stand with sand (which I knew was necessary) and break the speakers in some more.

I first thought there was no other possible way to position the speakers in our living room but after some thought, I realized that the whole living room could be organized differently and that this would allow a better speaker positioning.

I the proceeded to rearrange the room, filled the stands and got some more hours into the speakers.

The result now is night and day from the first impressions I got. Good tight bass is now the norm and the glare is completely gone. Those speakers sound awesome. I had never heard speakers with this combination of detail, accuracy, neutrality  and smoothness before.

They are also quite punchy and fast. Some recordings sound better than others, of course, but none ever sounds aggressive.

I'm very pleased with the final results, even though there's still room for improvement in my acoustics.

The whole process, summarized here, took several months during which Vinnie has been very very patient and helpful, insisting I take the time to make it right and that I wouldn't be disappointed in the end.

And he was right.

So here it is: if you're not buying from Vinnie, you're probably not getting the best service there is. :-)

I highly recommend Vinnie and the LaScala monitors. You can't go wrong with this combo.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

jimdgoulding

Re: Buyer beware!!!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2010, 02:13 am »
Ah so, Mr Moto.  And why should a buyer beware, pray tell?  Welcome, btw.

MrMoto

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2010, 02:29 am »
Like I said: Beware, if you're not buying from Vinnie, you might not be getting the best service...
Get it?

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2010, 02:52 am »
Sounds like a friends similar experience with Single Driver Loudspeakers. He said the bass filled out nicely with a solid-state amp but the mid-range lost that tube magic. He also drives louder than I can. Louder may be better?

But I think I'll stick with tubes for the mid-range.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2010, 01:08 pm »
Hi MrMoto,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

The result now is night and day from the first impressions I got. Good tight bass is now the norm and the glare is completely gone. Those speakers sound awesome. I had never heard speakers with this combination of detail, accuracy, neutrality  and smoothness before.

They are also quite punchy and fast. Some recordings sound better than others, of course, but none ever sounds aggressive.

Thank you for posting your feedback.  As you have found, speaker placement and room acoustics are essential to getting the best out of any pair of speakers. 

Even right out the of the box, the La Scala Monitors are far from sounding thin or glared, so I suspected that you were having room related issues (bass nulls in the room, reflections, etc).  So I'm glad you were able to try a different placement scheme and are now hearing what makes the La Scala Monitor such a fine speaker - one that I am confident that you will enjoy for many years.

It is the natural, balanced sound  of the La Scalas that really make them shine - rich tone, lack of "aggression" and fatiguing top-end, punchy bass, seductive vocals.... and just FUN to listen to!  :singing: 

The Skylan Stands are a very good value, and I'm glad you sand-filled them because this is really required to get the best out of them!

Like I said: Beware, if you're not buying from Vinnie, you might not be getting the best service...
Get it?

I really appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback and experience with working with me - thank you  :notworthy:

Quote from: smk
He said the bass filled out nicely with a solid-state amp but the mid-range lost that tube magic.

Maybe MrMoto needs to try out a Red Wine Audio amplifier - Awesome match with the La Scalas!  :eyebrows:   But if only tubes will do, the WLM Acoustics Minueta or Sonata are guaranteed to impress! 

All the best,

Vinnie

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2010, 08:49 pm »
IMO placement and room acoustics are huge factors for getting great sound. Glad you worked though the options to find something that works for you. Kent

MrMoto

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2010, 01:54 am »
I would add that I'm also satisfied with the Skylan stands. They were shipped to me very rapidly. The packaging had a "Home made" quality to it but they made it to my place in perfect shape. The fit and finish are excellent and, once filled with sand, provide a heavy and stable platform for the speakers. I also like the fact that I could get the top plate cut at the same dimensions as the speakers. Having them flush to the speakers all around makes for a good look.
Also, I'd like to add the LaScalas have an addictive quality to them. The more I listen, the more I like. Or maybe they're still improving (breaking in), I don't know.
I’m sure I’d like the sound of the Red Wine audio gear with the LaScalas. I almost got a chance to listen to the combo at the “Salon son et image” in Montreal , right Vinnie? ;-)
A little more on the evaluation of the LaScalas, for those who care to read:
Just after I got them, a friend of mine, who has a recording studio with an acoustically treated room, offered to lend me a pair of the monitors he uses in his studio. They are PMCs, model IB1 and are in the same price range as the LaScalas. They are called monitors but weight in at 90 pounds each. They have this flat woofer in a transmission line enclosure. No need for a sub with these. The go down to 25 Hz and you can hear it. Anyway, they did sound better than my previous speakers (JMLab) with a very soft, non-aggressive sound while giving more detail. At first, with the first speaker placement I tried (the one that didn’t work well), I actually preferred them over the LaScalas, mainly ‘because they compensated for the lack of bass.
With the LaScalas now better positionned, there is no contest. The LaScalas  are far superior, with much more detail and resolution. You can hear instrument textures with the LaScalas in a way that the PMCs just can’t match. Also, the PMCs really sound like a sub equipped system. There is that impression of the deep bass being detached from the rest of the sound. Maybe it’s a matter of timing, the bass having to go through a « maze » before it can come out from the front opening, might be arriving a bit later. Maybe it’s due to an uneven response with a bump around 40 Hz or so.
Anyway, I later invited this guy over with friends and had him sit down and listen the LaScalas. He was quite impressed. One of his friends likes to build CD transports, amplifiers and speakers and has, according to him, built a pretty good pair of speakers with ribbon tweeters. He said he’d like to put the LaScalas up against them and compare.
Also, before buying the LaScalas, I had a listen to a few other speakers in a nearby audio shop and wasn’t impressed. There was a pair of Thiel floor standers with an oval woofer, at 3 500.00$ if my memory serves me right. They didn’t do much for me. I like my music full range, with bass and all... I also listened to a pair of System Audio, worth around 4 500.00$. They are very narrow with an array of small woofers. They did have a fuller sound but the bass was boomy, without tone. All tracks seemed to have the same bass sound, probably the cabinet resonating. No need to say that the LaScalas beat them down in a big way.
Ok, that’s enough for today.

Happy listening!
Mario

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2010, 09:20 pm »
I’m sure I’d like the sound of the Red Wine audio gear with the LaScalas. I almost got a chance to listen to the combo at the “Salon son et image” in Montreal , right Vinnie? ;-)

Hi Mario,

This is true - sorry I can't make it this year.  :oops:  I love the Montreal Show, and I hope to exhibit next year.

No need to say that the LaScalas beat them down in a big way.
Ok, that’s enough for today.

Thanks for posting your comparisons!

I have a demo pair available here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65000.0

And if you live in the area, you can even stop by and give 'em a listen  :eyebrows:

Of course for you and your friend, it would be a fun road-trip to visit  :green:

Thanks again!

Vinnie