Clari T w/ Bastani Promethius or Supravox 215/400 OB

tminus

• Welcome to the machine
I noticed Bastani's on the links page at Red wine.  Someone must have matched these up.  Another spkr I'm considering is an OB w/ Supravox 215's fullrange with Supravox 400 down low.  Can anyone recomend an iteration for the Clari T considering these large drivers?

smallpond

Clari-T with Bastanis Prometheus
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2005, 07:53 am »
I have not heard the combination but I had a lengthy conversation with the Bastanis rep in Arizona who said that the Prometheus and Clari-T were a match made in heaven. He LOVES the combination and has heard the Bastani speakers with many other options. Sounds like it could be a good bet.

gary

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2005, 02:21 pm »
I've got the Bastanis Prometheus speakers and they're driven by a modded Clari-T amp (BG's & stepped attenuators) and Vinnie-implemented Scott Nixon NOS battery dac. The combo is incredible IMO, and more enjoyable to listen to than basically anything else I've heard. Think of the Prometheus as a $10k+ speaker hiding in a $2.4k kit, and the Red Wine amp & source as the yin to that yang... transparency, detail, resolution and clarity are there like you probably haven't heard in any other system and it's enough to make you cry the first time you hear it (literally). On top of that they image like the best mini-monitors yet have bass way down somewhere into the low 30's. Hearing your music come from a system without traditional crossovers or ported boxes and without the grunge caused by a/c power is a very eye-opening experience and it's made me not even want to listen to anything else. Of course, it is a very different kind of sound than what audiophiles usually strive for, and I can certainly imagine someone preferring what tubes add to the mix.

Gary

p.s. Where are you located? If you're anywhere near Rochester, NY you're more than welcome to stop by and listen

JiffyBoob

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2005, 03:20 pm »
Interesting that both the above noted examples are open baffle systems. I look forward to hearing the Prometheus someday, but I own one of only five pairs of DarkStar open baffle speakers and the combination of well executed open baffle with exceptional drivers, powered by ClariT is exactly as Gary states. Unlike anything else you will hear, and likely different from what most audio ...files strive for. The combination of dipole effect and stunning ultra high resolution is amazing, day and month, in my home. Right now I use SET, but likely soon will also have a ClariT just for that effect. Have fun and share your impressions.

tminus

• Welcome to the machine
Promethius w/ Clari T
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2005, 11:44 pm »
Thanks, you guys for the insight.  I'm really looking forward to hearing the bastani's some day.  Guess I'll have to drive south about 1200 miles.  I'm in the American outback - western SD, in the Black Hills.  Our "salon" is none other than Best Buy - yippie.  Denver is closest mecca of bliss - 400 miles.  I'm no audiophile by far, as I've always been pppoor.  The high eff fever started when I stumbled into getting some EV SRO 12 vocal projectors off a rodie for Sir EJ, back when I was 15.  Stuck em on a baffle and got religion right there.  I added a JBL "slot" horn and somebody's throw away 15's for bass.  Still, it was nothing like I'd ever heard.  Drove them with a guitar head (tubed of course).  That was 30 yrs ago.  It's time to get serious.  I've researched ALOT and the OB spkrs w/ some fine drivers & a pristine li'l amp is in order big time & it looks to me like Vinnie R. has his act wired tight.  That ugly story is pretty far from this crowd's experience, I know;  but at least I was "one with the plan" even back then.  Think I should post my ol' rig??  yeah right.......

Thanks again for the help

Old "newbie", Patrick S. (Tminus)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2005, 01:20 am »
T-

Good to read your thoughts.  You make a good point, simplier the better is a poor man's road to truly high class audio.  Single driver open baffles with a Clari-T, and Squeeze Box gets you 8 octaves of bliss.  You can start with the entire system costing less than $1000 with tons of simple/DIY upgrade steps possible:

For $100 you can buy Fostex FE127E drivers (the same used in many Omega speakers) and mount in simple baffles.

For $500 you get a near world class sound integrated amp that will work with any higher efficiency speaker.  The use of batteries can save thousands (and much worry) otherwise spent on conditioners, cords, etc.

The SB is $250-300.

Add digital EQ, powered sub, and tube buffer later.

Swap out the FE127E for B200 anytime.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Clari T w/ Bastani Promethius or Supravox 215/400 OB
« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2005, 03:20 am »
Quote from: tminus
I noticed Bastani's on the links page at Red wine.  Someone must have matched these up.  Another spkr I'm considering is an OB w/ Supravox 215's fullrange with Supravox 400 down low.  Can anyone recomend an iteration for the Clari T considering these large drivers?

Hi Patrick,

Welcome to AudioCircle and thanks for your post.

I finally had the chance to hear the Bastani Prometheus at RMAF with the Clari-T and the combo resulted in a very BIG and open sound  8) .... Awesome synergy, a 3D soundstage (OB's do this very well), and seriously tight and punchy bass (powered sub built in).  

I just responded to the email that you sent me yesterday.  I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

Regards,