Clari-T Before & After

roymail

• Roy in TX
Clari-T Before & After
« on: 8 Sep 2005, 09:23 pm »
I recently sent my stock Clari-T to Vinnie for upgrades... Blackgates, Auricaps, DACT attenuator, Cardas RCAs and WBT type binding posts.  I'd read all the positive reviews, listened to Vinnie and felt good about my decision.  I knew the amp would be better, but I didn't realize just how much better until I got it back.  It was packaged very well, and the amp looked like a new one.  So I put in between my modded Toshiba 3950 and Omega Super 3s and loaded up the first CD.  Johnny Frigo, Debut of a Legend (Chesky), then Diana Krall, Live in Paris (Verve), then Miles Davis, Kind of Blue (Columbia).  WOW...  absolutely amazing!  Trust me on this, the sonic differences between the stock Clari-T and the modded Clari-T w/integrated DACT are very apparent, NOT SUBTLE!  The modded unit does everything better.  It's battery powered Tripath done right... incredibly musical and a pure pleasure to enjoy.  Of course, all the detail is there and is very smooth with no fatigue at all.  Texture (both vocal and instrumental), soundstage, spacing & placement of instruments, high resolution, dead silent black background... it's all there and it's all  good.  However, this amp is no friend to bad recordings.  Whatever's on the recording, you'll hear it... for better or for worse!  That's why I'm upgrading my CD collection.  I just can't get enough of the good stuff.  It's like Vinnie once told me, once you hear how good redbook recordings can sound, you'll never go back.  Maybe some day I'll hear what the "dual mono" rave is all about, and maybe some day I'll graduate to Omega Hemptones or A8s.  But, for now I'm just loving the music!  Vinnie, thanks for doing such a great job on my amp and for steering me in the right direction.  I'm proud to be part of the rapidly growing Red Wine Audio community.

MttBsh

Clari-T Before & After
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2005, 10:09 pm »
Roymail - like you, I went from a stock Clari-T to the fully modded unit, in my case, the dual-mono route. As you've heard, the improvements are obvious and immediate, but wait until those new parts break in, particularly the blackgates - the bass will really come alive. Even after 3 months I'm still hearing improvements in detail, soundstage and bass.

Next in line is the modded SB2 and then a speaker upgrade - maybe a Darkstar/Omega collaberation. It's amazing that we have affordable access to a level of audio reproduction that probably wasn't available anywhere at any price just a few short years ago!

Matt

ndpjr

Clari-T Before & After
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2005, 12:38 am »
Roymail,
   Congratulations on your upgraded Clari-T. I know you're really going to enjoy it. Like Mttbsh said, just wait until you get it burned in more and you'll see how difficult it is to turn it off. Keep us posted as you get more time on it. It looks like you really have a great match on all your components.

powerbench

Modded ClariT
« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2005, 01:01 am »
Quite honestly guys what Vinnie does via the mods (blackgates,Auricaps,DacT) is frigging incredible,just wait till every one heres the Hemps and A8s quite honestly the Fostex line is no comparision.Talk is cheap,buy ,listen or steal  borrow and youll be BLOWN away :!: especially at upcoming  the Rocky Mountain Fest :idea:

roymail

• Roy in TX
Clari-T before & after follow-up
« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2005, 05:29 pm »
I know you guys are right about giving the caps more time to do their thing since each of you has been down the same road before me.  A little more low end would be a plus, but I honestly don't know how the mids and upper end could get much better.  But, if so, then bring it on.  SWEET!  After more critical listening, hours daily, I just continue to be amazed what the mods have done for this unit.  The difference between the stock Clari-T and the modded amp w/DacT attenuator is HUGH!  After years of the usual "trial and error" buy & sell approach, frankly my search is over.  To anyone who has the stock version of the Clari-T and may be thinking of sending it in for the mods, let me say to you... THIS IS A NO BRAINER!!!  I have no doubt that the dual mono design is nothing less than STELLAR.  But for very little additional investment, you can get much closer to the same result by modding the single board.  Think of it this way.  The LOTUS AMP, except for it's "drop dead gorgeous enclosure," larger battery, beautiful brass voltage meter, back side hardware and more expensive internal wiring, is the same amp on the inside as a modded Clari-T.  So if you're still on the fence, I highly recommend sending your stock Clari-T to Vinnie for the upgrades.  You'll never regret it!  Now back to the music...

powerbench

Amen to that bro
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2005, 05:45 pm »
Not to 'blow the horn 'in regards to the A8s(and the modded ClariT),i think it will be interesting to see peoples' impressions.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Clari-T before & after follow-up
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2005, 05:48 pm »
Quote from: roymail
I know you guys are right about giving the caps more time to do their thing since each of you has been down the same road before me. A little more low end would be a plus, but I honestly don't know how the mids and upper end could get much better. But, if so, then bring it on. SWEET! After more critical listening, hours daily, I just continue to be amazed what the mods have done for this unit. The difference between the stock Clari-T and the modded amp w/DacT attenuator is HUGH! After years of the usual "trial and error" buy & sell approach, frankly my search is over. To anyone who has the stock version of the Clari-T and may be thinking of sending it in for the mods, let me say to you... THIS IS A NO BRAINER!!! ....

Hi Roy,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your custom Clari-T!  :P

The upgraded caps (Auricaps and Black Gates) and DACT stepped attenuator (for those who want a volume control) are the very best "bang for the buck" mods to the Clari-T....hands down.  The caps certainly need time to burn-in, and yes, it gets even better sounding  :wink:  

As always, I really appreciate it when my customers post feedback here....many thanks!  

Have fun!

roymail

• Roy in TX
Thanks, Vinnie!
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2005, 06:31 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

Thanks again for the beautiful job you did modding my Clari-T.  I guess you can tell I'm pretty thrilled about the outcome.  Now I'm having fun instead of frustration... changing this and trying that.  Yes, finally I've got lots of synergy going on.  It's been said before but worth repeating... you've made the high-end affordable for the average guy.  And, for that you deserve lots of respect and gratitude from the audio community. :notworthy:  You're a class guy and a real professional!  The success you're experiencing with Red Wine Audio is well deserved. :D  

-- Roy