Clari-T and Headphones

dogberry

Clari-T and Headphones
« on: 13 Jun 2005, 01:11 pm »
What would my options be for a small headphone-based system?  Anyway of hooking up headphones without having to buy a separate headphone (pre)amp?  Like something built into the Clari-T directly (kind of like how you can build in the Monica DAC)?

I have an external NEX 6Xe CDROM transport and a Channel Islands DAC that have been sitting around and I've lately been thinking about putting together a headphone system for my office.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Clari-T and Headphones
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2005, 02:37 pm »
Quote from: dogberry
What would my options be for a small headphone-based system?  Anyway of hooking up headphones without having to buy a separate headphone (pre)amp?  Like something built into the Clari-T directly (kind of like how you can build in the Monica DAC)?

I have an external NEX 6Xe CDROM transport and a Channel Islands DAC that have been sitting around and I've lately been thinking about putting together a headphone system for my office.

Hi dogberry,

I have a couple of customers who are using the Clari-T with the AKG-K1000 headphones and are very happy with the combo.  Headphones like the K1000s have a separate L+, L-, R+, and R- connections, which makes it work with the Clari-T.  Another headphone company that I've seen do this is Stax.

With the Class-T design, the negative output speaker terminals cannot be connected together (which they are when using a typcial headphone plug...the grounds of each headphone speaker are tied together).

The other option is modding a pair of headphones to obtain separate L+, L-, R+, and R- connections, but you might not want to do this.  I suppose that if you don't mind doing this, an adapter plug can be made to convert back to the typical headphone plug when you are not using the Clari-T.  

BTW, I asked Srajan of 6moons to try the customized Clari-T that I sent him with is AKG-K1000s, so hopefully he will report his findigs.  

I also recommend a 4 to 8 ohm resistor be used across the L and R outputs when using the headphones in order to properly load the TA2024 chip in the Clari-T to get a good freq. response.  I can include these at no extra cost...

Let me know if you have any other questions about this.  

Sincerely,

dogberry

Clari-T and Headphones
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2005, 03:15 pm »
How difficult would it be to build such a plug converter?  That sounds like a cool idea.  It would be a female headphone recepticle outputting to four separate cables?  Hmmm...

Or drill a hole in the case and put it inside!  :)

How much?!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Clari-T and Headphones
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2005, 03:42 pm »
Quote from: dogberry
How difficult would it be to build such a plug converter?  That sounds like a cool idea.  It would be a female headphone recepticle outputting to four separate cables?  Hmmm...

Or drill a hole in the case and put it inside!  :)

How much?!

dogberry,

I'd have to mod your headphones and would use something like a 4-pin male plug, and yes, I can install the mating jack on the back of the
Clari-T (so you can use it with headphones or speakers...easily)!

I can also make custom 4-pin jack to 1/8" headphone plug adapter so you can still use your headphones in other systems..

Email to discuss: vinnie@redwineaudio.com

Thanks,