RWA AE high rez DAC

coffeeforme

RWA AE high rez DAC
« on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:35 am »
Hi Vinnie,

I just got my RWA AE couple of days ago and started download some high rez music.  Am playing the music via Macbookpro via usb cable to AE.  Should I use toslink connection for listening to high rez or usb.  owners manual state that high rez connection should be via toslink or spdif..  toslink will be simple for macbookpro but spdif, need converter.

By the way, I love AE..

Best regards,
Fcc

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: RWA AE high rez DAC
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2012, 05:49 pm »
Hi Fcc,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

Correct - you should use toslink or coax when using the high-res option on the Isabellina Pro dac (in your Audeze Edition unit), as these inputs can accept up to 24/192k.

I like using the WireWorld SuperNova 6 mini Toslink to Toslink glass fiber optic cable with my Macbook.  However, I believe it is limited to 24/96k via the Macbook. 

External USB converters like the HiFace (with BNC out) go to 24/192k.  It would only be worth it if you plan on downloading high res beyond 96k sampling. 

Best regards,

Vinnie

coffeeforme

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2012, 03:50 am »
Vinnie thanks !  Will hunt for a suitable toslink cable to try this out.
I tried USB to the highrez DAC using audirvana and it shows 16/44 aiff file and DAC 24/44.  not much difference but prefer the NOS sound.

I still have another set of headphone with normal 6.5mm jack.  Can I use this on the AE ?  where can I obtain adapter for this ?

Cheers
regards
Fcc

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2012, 05:24 pm »
I still have another set of headphone with normal 6.5mm jack.  Can I use this on the AE ?  where can I obtain adapter for this ?
Cheers
regards
Fcc

Hi Fcc,

I would have to make this custom, as you cannot tie the LEFT NEGATIVE and RIGHT NEGATIVE signals of the 4-pin balanced output together to a common ground (as used with a 6.5mm, 3 conductor jack).

But the output might not be suitable for all headphones.  Please email me and let me know what headphones you want to use.  I'll let you know if this is worth doing or not.

Sincerely,

Vinnie

coffeeforme

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2012, 04:38 am »
Hi Vinnie,

I just got my toslink cable as recommended by you and its an improvement compared to the USB haha Thanks..  Am enjoying it.

cheers

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2012, 10:37 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

I just got my toslink cable as recommended by you and its an improvement compared to the USB haha Thanks..  Am enjoying it.

cheers

Nice!!!  8)