Bicycling Off-Road

mjosef

Re: Mountain Biking in New York City
« Reply #40 on: 20 Aug 2009, 04:11 am »
  :roll:    Mountains in NYC???  :jester:

Saw a movie once...The man who climb up a hill and came down a mountain...good movie.

Levi

« Reply #41 on: 20 Aug 2009, 04:21 am »
Hey Martin, the title is catchy.  You have a bike that rides in the woods?  :lol:

mjosef

« Reply #42 on: 20 Aug 2009, 04:28 am »
Yeah, I HAD a bike that could have hiked in the woods...until the new owner liked it more than me, and not even a heavy duty 2" chain could stop him from having it.  :evil:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #43 on: 20 Aug 2009, 04:32 am »
Martin...

Maybe you could get one of these to go mountaineering with the guys.... :jester:

Lyndon

« Reply #44 on: 20 Aug 2009, 04:48 am »
Zac,
That paint job on the Zilioli is gorgeous.  Is it like a pearl based cream, or is that just the effect of the flash.
Phil has a nice stable. 

Mine is a hodgepodge:
Bacchetta Giro 26/20 'bent (fun, but I don't like it in the mountains)
Bridgestone 450 Road (makes me feel like I'm going fast)
Bridgestone MB-1  (was number one MTB until the Stumpy)
Bridgestone MB-2 (converted this summer into a roundabout ride, perfect for Rails to Trails, like the KATY Trail)
Marin Bear Valley Good hardtail
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2006, fine ride in Moab
BikeFriday New World Tourist (jury still out on this for touring)
Downtube.com folder Mistake, not close to the Bike Friday for folder. Clown bike
REI Randonee Touring Trusted steel for over 10K miles. 3 months in Alaska, two Danube River trips, etc.
KHS Montana Sport  First "mountain bike", now converted for winter crap commuting
Frame only:
Raleigh Record
Shogun 500 Cro-Mo
I think that covers it.
Now, Levi, if I can just find a Waterford Tour in my size, but will probably have to settle for a Surly Long Haul Trucker for next summer's touring.
Lyndon

Levi

« Reply #45 on: 20 Aug 2009, 05:26 am »
Gee Lyndon, nice collection of bikes.  So I don't have to rent a bike if I visit Salt Lake City.  :thumb: 

You keep looking for your size.  Sizing is extremely important.  I had to pay full retail just to get my frame customized to my size. :)

Those Waterford lugs are beautiful.

You know I never heard of the Surly and the Waterford.  Quick google search of Surlyvile sure looks like Karate Monkey is for me. :lol:

mjosef

« Reply #46 on: 20 Aug 2009, 05:40 am »
Martin...

Maybe you could get one of these to go mountaineering with the guys.... :jester:

Yeah, make mincemeat outa them... :lol:

Lyndon

« Reply #47 on: 20 Aug 2009, 05:46 am »
Right, Martin.
Levi will grab the Surly Karate Monkey 29'er, and I'll hop on this Haro steel Beasley 650B, and we'll take you out, man! (with apologies to Jean-Claude Van Damme) :)

Levi

« Reply #48 on: 20 Aug 2009, 06:49 am »
I think I will be reaching my goal.  A Merlin XLM sub 19lb mtn bike.  :thumb:

bunnyma357

« Reply #49 on: 20 Aug 2009, 06:58 am »
Lyndon,

Haven't seen a 650B mountain bike before. I noticed you've got a Bridgestone 450 - I bought mine new in the 80's, though it's now set up as a fixie (but a wimpy fixie with both front & rear brakes).

I do hope I get to do some bike riding in NYC on a visit at some point - seems like it would be a lot of fun.

Jim C

zacster

« Reply #50 on: 20 Aug 2009, 11:37 am »
Zac,
That paint job on the Zilioli is gorgeous.  Is it like a pearl based cream, or is that just the effect of the flash.
Phil has a nice stable. 

The paint job looks even better in person.  It is pearl based, but I don't know how to describe the color.  I've never seen anything else like it.  And its tough too, the bike is 28 years old and there isn't a scratch on it.

SET Man

« Reply #51 on: 20 Aug 2009, 04:23 pm »
btw - whatever happened to that bicycles thread in the old Sports Bar circle...did it disappear with the Sports Bar?  Or did it make it over to the Athlete's Circle? :scratch:

Hey!

I think that thread got archieved along with the Sport Bar after it was closed. Sad isn't it? :?

I do missed the Sport Bar and Audio Central. Honestly AC it ain't the same as it used to be to me. You know it takes many to build a village but only a few to burn it down :roll:

Well, at least I still have my NYAR! We're cool! :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #52 on: 20 Aug 2009, 04:33 pm »
No problem with that old Buddy.  We build it again.  Only better.  When time comes we can probably merge this in the Athletic club.  I'd like to keep it here and moderate it for now.  :thumb: 

Sticked so it is easy to find!

Levi

« Reply #53 on: 20 Aug 2009, 04:36 pm »
Hey Lyndon, I really like that bike shot of your Haro steel Beasley 650B.  I like it :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #54 on: 20 Aug 2009, 04:40 pm »
It ain't fare, bro Levi gets all them toys, where is mine, muuuuuahhhh :bawl:

PS: Nice titanium Levi.  I nevertheless like my roadies to be steel, like this:

Yeah, look like Levi have been getting a lot of new "Bling blings" lately  8)

I like central park.  Lots of happenings and normally closed for cars during the weekend.  There is not much elevation but still a workout for some including myself with fat tyres. :)

My litespeed mtb circa 1995 is still around.  My son has outgrown his 20" bike so it will be his bike soon.  Lucky kid.

Hey!

Or maybe you outgrown your old toy? :jester:

Your old Litespeed is still a very good bike.

Anyway, nice frame would like to see it once it is done. If you can keep it at 19lbs or lighter than it will be a tad lighter than my '04 Klein Aluminum/carbon...(mostly aluminum :icon_lol: )... road bike  :o

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #55 on: 20 Aug 2009, 04:46 pm »
Thanks Buddy for the complement on the old Litespeed Obed.  It is a good bike, all the parts have been upgraded in that bike.  It weighed 20lbs in my Park Tool DS-1 scale.  The Merlin is a much lighter frame so losing 1lb is drastic.  My wallet drastically is much lighter after this project. ;)

Do you still have your Klein mtn bike?

Bemopti123

« Reply #56 on: 20 Aug 2009, 05:43 pm »
I am waiting for my son to grow some more and I will give him access to my rides, as well as my stereos.  Hehehe. 

Nevertheless, I do notice that my son, he is going to be 4, is more interested in the bike aspect rather than the equipment aspect.  I hope to teach him what good stereos sound like and he will not need to spend a penny for all the gear I have.  But, why do I get a feeling that my daughter will be more of a gear head than my son?   

I like all the old gear that began small before they were acquired by large corporations.  Buddy, you are into Kleins, I remember seeing a lime color Klein MTB hanging in Seinfeld's apartment, besides that, I actually saw a Klein from the Seinfeld era in my best friend from college's house.  It was hanging in the garage next to a RSX Type S and a Acura TL Type S...People all their mechanical toys. 

I like it. :green:

PS:  If I had more children for all the extra equipment I am listening(more like hoarding here) than, I might as well be an Arab King or something.  For sure my wife would not like that.   :thumb:

Don_S

« Reply #57 on: 20 Aug 2009, 06:30 pm »
btw - whatever happened to that bicycles thread in the old Sports Bar circle...did it disappear with the Sports Bar?  Or did it make it over to the Athlete's Circle? :scratch:

Yea,  I miss that thread.  I feel like a voyeur here.  I am not from NY and don't like the taste of dirt.  I do have a couple of sweet road rides.  Reminds me that I need to get out my Merlin and top off the tires for my Thursday nite fast-ride with a less fortunate buddy who still works.

Levi

« Reply #58 on: 20 Aug 2009, 09:12 pm »
My Merlin XLM is almost finished.  Just needs a few items. Hydraulic cables needs to be cut and brakes to bleed etc.  I

She's gleaming...sub 19lb mtn bike

« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2009, 12:17 am by Levi »

PhilNYC

« Reply #59 on: 20 Aug 2009, 09:47 pm »
No problem with that old Buddy.  We build it again.  Only better.  When time comes we can probably merge this in the Athletic club.  I'd like to keep it here and moderate it for now.  :thumb: 

Sticked so it is easy to find!

Maybe we should change the title so it captures all types of bikes (not just mountain bikes)?