Fee increase at Audiogon

Big Red Machine

Fee increase at Audiogon
« on: 6 Jul 2010, 04:13 pm »
BTW, Audiogon now charges 2% for the sale of an item up to a $100 maximum effective July 1.

Phil A

Re: Fee increase at Audiogon
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2010, 04:26 pm »
It was cheap for years and has risen probably to the point where some look to alternatives like here.  I suspect sales listings will become more commonplace at sites like here and it will be an evolving escalation of fees at Audiogon.

jaywills

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2010, 05:12 pm »
Hmmm...They charge you to advertise and they charge you for making a sale.  Do they refund your advertising fees if you don't make a sale?

Berto

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2010, 05:52 pm »
Hmmm...They charge you to advertise and they charge you for making a sale.  Do they refund your advertising fees if you don't make a sale?

No refunds, I have paid twice to advertise a few times but was still happy since they were bigger ticket items.  The 2% get charged when you go through there system or your buyer leaves feedback.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2010, 05:54 pm »
Add fee increases to the Death and Taxes list.

bacobits1

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:24 pm »
Well, ya know what? My stuff always sells there.
So, I guess we have to pay.

D

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:27 pm »
Hmmm...This link states it is still 1%. => http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/faq.pl?Sellers/Seller_fees&1222905626&actg#4

Care to share your source of information?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:36 pm »
Hmmm...This link states it is still 1%. => http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/faq.pl?Sellers/Seller_fees&1222905626&actg#4

Care to share your source of information?

When you post a for sale item you have to agree to the new fee structure.  I did that today.

sts9fan

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:43 pm »
Its funny.  I post things there all the time and they never seem to sell.... :scratch:

flintstone

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:48 pm »
I just fold the fee, along with paypal into my asking price......that way, I never charge for Paypal  :thumb: (as a seller you know what you want, and you know your bottom dollar)

srb

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:51 pm »
When you post a for sale item you have to agree to the new fee structure.  I did that today.

Seeing as how updating the Seller Fees page would take less than a minute, not doing so and only indicating the new fee during ad placement seems a bit disingenous.

Steve

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:56 pm »
Its funny.  I post things there all the time and they never seem to sell.... :scratch:

I'll have smoething on Ebay and then post on Agon and it will sell right away.  I'll have something on Agon and then post on Ebay and sell it right away.  Back and forth racks up the fees.  But overall I have had very good luck with Agon and have 100% positive at 444.  I also have 100% on Ebay.  That number indicates my level of sickness....

K Shep

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2010, 11:12 pm »
My last 2 transactions have been local, pick up and pay cash.  The seller asked to settle the transaction with out Agon's involvement thus avoiding the fees.

I have also ran a classified, not sold the item in 14 days, modified the classified to another product altogether and sold that second item.  As long as you don't "complete" a listing you are able to change it numerous times.

sts9fan

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul 2010, 11:34 pm »
Bingo

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #14 on: 7 Jul 2010, 12:07 am »
My last 2 transactions have been local, pick up and pay cash.  The seller asked to settle the transaction with out Agon's involvement thus avoiding the fees.

I have also ran a classified, not sold the item in 14 days, modified the classified to another product altogether and sold that second item.  As long as you don't "complete" a listing you are able to change it numerous times.
Bingo

Exactly, they raised the fees on folks who pay 'em because scamers avoid 'em...

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #15 on: 7 Jul 2010, 12:09 am »
I just fold the fee, along with paypal into my asking price......that way, I never charge for Paypal  :thumb: (as a seller you know what you want, and you know your bottom dollar)

I've always wondered why people don't do that...

werd

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jul 2010, 12:20 am »
Who owns Agon?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 7 Jul 2010, 01:18 am »
It sucks to see the price go up but realistically Agon was way cheaper than eBay for long time.  This just inches them a bit closer.  My luck has generally been good at both Agon & eBay, no bad transactions and never failed to move something, although occasionally I've had to renew the ad once.

rivieraranch

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jul 2010, 02:55 am »

The difference between Ebay and Audiogon is like the difference between shopping at Target or Nordstroms. Also Audiogon's fee structure was lean to begin with and although it is doubled, it is still way cheaper than selling on Ebay.  Ebay, run by that old broad that reminds me of George Washington, has a confiscatory fee schedule.   

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 7 Jul 2010, 04:15 am »
I've heard ebay has gotten worse but I haven't sold there recently.