My Capacitor comparisons: Mundorfs, VCap, Sonicap Platinum, Auricap, etc

toobluvr

Great thread guys!
Thanks for all the great info.

hmmmmmmm....now which ones to put into my Dodd 120 monos?

:scratch:

Joey B

has anyone here ever had experience w/hovland musicaps?

thanks,

doug s.

Tony Gee has a comprehesive capacitor comparison . He is inserting them in the signal path of tweeter and midrange of a speaker . The Hoveland caps are included and all caps are ranked numerically . It's at:

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Joey B.

doug s.

• makin' music
excellent - thanks!  now, how does cap use in speakers correlate - if at all - to use in amps?

doug s.

has anyone here ever had experience w/hovland musicaps?

thanks,

doug s.

Tony Gee has a comprehesive capacitor comparison . He is inserting them in the signal path of tweeter and midrange of a speaker . The Hoveland caps are included and all caps are ranked numerically . It's at:

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Joey B.

Joey B

:roll:

Doug S.

I've been following Tony's discourse for several years . But could not tell ya how coupling and series to a speaker would matchup  for sure :oops:. Perhaps Jon L. could answer that ? To a degree they are both series caps so the assumption would be be that the result is simular (that's just a WAG) . There is the Tempo Electric capacitor tests that test capacitors in coupling , speaker x-over , and ac filter capacities and rate each and may be more what your looking for . But their studies  are not as big as Tony's . Jon L's test is getting to be very big itself and is a great service to all the DIY'ers . 

http://www.tempoelectric.com/caps.htm

Note to Jon - Still don't have my K40's in , it's been over 4 weeks now  :cry: After reading your review  i'd really like to see them arrive .

Joey B.

Joey B

Great thread guys!

Which do you have in there now and what don't you like about them ?

Joey B.

Jon L

Note to Jon - Still don't have my K40's in , it's been over 4 weeks now  :cry: After reading your review  i'd really like to see them arrive .

Joey B.

Which eBay vendor did you buy from? 

Joey B

RUTUBES.com , not from Ebay .

Joey B.

douglesc

I Appreciate this capacitor comparison Thread.........That said I am suprised nobody has brought up the Jantzen ZSuperior or ZSilver Capacitor.............When you look at what you pay for what you get these caps may be the best value out there.  It seems to me that these caps are at least getting you in the arena of the best money can buy...................I AM NOT saying they are the best but they are at least very good.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Just kind of curious.  I see tolerances of anywhere from 2 percent to 20 percent in the caps mentioned.  Changing the value of a capacitor will pretty obviously change the circuit operation aside from the composition of the part in question.

Nowhere to I see any mention of exact matching of values between samples to assure that the test was not just listening to value changes, not something more subtile.

Capacitors are the values they are, not the values printed on them.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Les Lammers

Joey B.

Be patient it may take 6 weeks. Mail is slow from Russia.   aa

toobluvr

Great thread guys!

Joey B.

I have the stock Dodd monos without the upgraded caps.
They are Sonicaps, either Gen I or Gen II....not sure.  Gary also offered them with cap upgrade to the Sonicap Platinum.

See the Sonicaps here:

http://www.soniccraft.com/sonicap.htm

No real problem with the sound now, but always seeking.  If I were pressed, I'd say I'm looking for a bit more fluidity, immediacy and presence.  Tonal balance, detail, imaging, dynamics and bass are currently very good.

Joey B

Great thread guys!

Joey B.

I have the stock Dodd monos without the upgraded caps.
They are Sonicaps, either Gen I or Gen II....not sure.  Gary also offered them with cap upgrade to the Sonicap Platinum.

See the Sonicaps here:

http://www.soniccraft.com/sonicap.htm

No real problem with the sound now, but always seeking.  If I were pressed, I'd say I'm looking for a bit more fluidity, immediacy and presence.  Tonal balance, detail, imaging, dynamics and bass are currently very good.

Mundorf Silv/oils do this in spades . Give them about 250 hours of playing music to break in properly . If you want somthing a little more warm the Mundorf silv/gold in oils would be the ticket . I have no experience with the soniccrafts .

Joey B.

Joey B

Joey B.

Be patient it may take 6 weeks. Mail is slow from Russia.   aa

Thanks Les . Their website sez delivery in 10-17 days . Thanks for the reality update  :o

I'm just trying to slightly warm up my system by changing the couplers in my NOS/DAC .I fully expect that After breakin and serious auditioning That I'll put the mundorf silv/oils back in .  8)

I've read so many rave reviews of the k40's on the Asylum , I just had to try em .  :drool:

My system is really fluid and musical (in a good sense) right now . My only drawback is bright recording sound slightly bright . Great recordings sound very in the room , realistic , and natural . aa  :rock: :dance: :hyper:

Thanks Again
Joey B.

toobluvr

Mundorf Silv/oils do this in spades . Give them about 250 hours of playing music to break in properly . If you want somthing a little more warm the Mundorf silv/gold in oils would be the ticket . I have no experience with the soniccrafts .

Joey B.

Thanks for the insight, Joey.  Much appreciated!
 :thumb:

bluemike

Aside from Caps:
have you tried different tubes... I have dodd 120 mono's as well and am quite happy keeping the stock tubes if I did have to swap these out I would go with the mundorfs
Silver

toobluvr

Aside from Caps:
have you tried different tubes... I have dodd 120 mono's as well and am quite happy keeping the stock tubes if I did have to swap these out I would go with the mundorfs
Silver

Hi....Yes, I have rolled a few tubes.

I much prefer the Svetlana "flying C" logo EL34 to the stock JJ E34L.
The JJ is dynamic and transparent, but I find it a bit dry in this amp.
(Funny, cause it is quite nice in my friend's Vista EL34 amp.)
The Svets are a bit rounder, wetter and fuller, and provide a nice spacious sound.
Probably a bit softer than the JJ.

For small signal I have tried late 50's TungSol 5687, and GE 7044.
I prefer the latter.  The TungSol are very linear and extended, but are lacking in
liquidity and midrange bloom.  They sound a bit "solid statish" to me.
To my ears the GE 7044 are richer and just overall more musical.

bluemike

Try some kt 77 for output tubes if you havent already
The winged c el 34 are nice as well

I agree with you on the ge 7044 try putting one of them herbie tube dampers on the centre tube and let us know the results

McLanz

Take off alu body from ft3
« Reply #97 on: 7 Jun 2008, 06:36 pm »
Hi !!
I use those FT3s too. But I'm scared destroying them:

I would like to take of their body made of a alumium tube. This should even gain a bit more ... aa

Did anybody have some expierence with opening such russian teflon caps??

I once opended a so called metall - glass sealed PIO made in russia.

But there was no glass body...I did it with my lathe.  I opened of the metall body carefully but there wasn't anything sealed by glass -- just the foils and oil came out....BTW the alumium oxidated within moments!! I wasn't able to see it after some min. it just look like I had "paper" in my hands..

Would be very interesting to fill them with that liquid...

The caps orientation makes a lot!! I change two offour in my amp and gained more dnamic sound again. But some harshness too ---But overall it's more precise and has more "shape"

greets Jochen

dweekie

Opening the FT3 caps is real easy.  The aluminum shell tears like a soda can.  Then it's a matter of cutting off the exposed aluminum foil from the steel post once the body is torn away.  I just twisted the extruding aluminum ends together and wound wire around it.  I also wrapped the cap with stretchy packaging tape, which is actually a pretty good dielectric from what I've read.  I should probably get some small brass machine screws and nuts to attach the wire permanently.  If anyone has a better method of attaching aluminum to wire, please let me know. 

lowrider

• DIY
If you find a pair of K42Y-2, please test them, I would like to know how do they compare with K40Y-9 and FT3...

Thanks for the nice work done here...  :thumb: