Good but cheap high-rez DACs?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Re: Good but cheap high-rez DACs?
« Reply #20 on: 7 May 2010, 09:22 pm »
Steve, see my take on Matrix mini-i on this site comparing to MF v-dac, those are the onlu two i have tried, head fi  has so many postings on this stuff it is overwhelming.

Great write up Batman. I'll keep the Matrix on my short list.

Steve

bregez

« Reply #21 on: 7 May 2010, 09:37 pm »
This is an upsampling DAC, correct?

Yes, the V-DAC is an upsampling DAC.  It uses the BB DSD1792 chip and a SRC4392 upsampler. 

HT cOz

« Reply #22 on: 7 May 2010, 09:42 pm »
I've been interested in this DAC http://cgi.ebay.com/24bit-192KHz-DAC-DIY-KIT-FULL-ASSEMBLED-KIT-Lampucera-/120551270538?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c116a688a

It's getting positive reviews on DIY Audio http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/164299-new-small-diy-gigawork-dac-2.html

It's DIY but it comes all wired together.  You could put it in a shoe box. 

« Last Edit: 8 May 2010, 03:47 am by HT cOz »

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #23 on: 7 May 2010, 10:09 pm »
I've been interested in this DAC http://cgi.ebay.com/24bit-192KHz-DAC-DIY-KIT-FULL-ASSEMBLED-KIT-Lampucera-/120551270538?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c116a688a

It's getting positive reviews on DIY Audio http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/164299-new-small-diy-gigawork-dac-2.html

It's DIY but it comes all wired together.  You could put it in a shoe box. 

I actually have Gigawork's previous 24/192 upsampling DAC. It was hard to beat for the money. I'm assuming the PCM 1798 handles all resolutions up to 24/192 without upsampling, correct?
« Last Edit: 8 May 2010, 02:02 am by Atlplasma »

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #24 on: 8 May 2010, 09:55 pm »
The HRT Streamer USB DACs are getting fantastic reviews. At $350 you could get the Streamer II+. When I talked to HRT about their new line of DACs, they told me that the new non-+ version of the Streamer II was a better choice than the original Streamer+. The II serives now has async USB and can handle hi-rez. MusicDirect carries them, so you could take advantage of their 30-day trial period.

Lots of great reviews of the original lines and the new streamer. Check the spinoff of the DAC shootout thread here, and 6moons for starters.

Just an FYI for everyone, I contacted HRT to inquire about the HD (24/192) version. The CTO says its coming "soon" and will be "under $1000."

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #25 on: 8 May 2010, 10:03 pm »
Thats cool about HRT but for me-"Good but cheap.." means under $200....the gigaworks looks cool but I have no equipment or ability at even one solder joint. I checked with whoever it is that is Gigaworks and asked about a fully assembled one in a case like ready to go and they offer it....I'll dig up the info..if I remember correctly it was around $150..not positive on that.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #26 on: 8 May 2010, 11:21 pm »
Thats cool about HRT but for me-"Good but cheap.." means under $200....the gigaworks looks cool but I have no equipment or ability at even one solder joint. I checked with whoever it is that is Gigaworks and asked about a fully assembled one in a case like ready to go and they offer it....I'll dig up the info..if I remember correctly it was around $150..not positive on that.

If this is like their previous BIG DAC (and I think it is), you receive the board and power supply and no soldering is required. I put my DAC in a Hammond case, but that's not really necessary. So don't let the "kit" description scare you off.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
In a related search...

We are looking for a reasonably priced D/A with balanced outputs and a level control .  Price target is <$600 street.  We can go a bit higher if necessary.  Any recommendations???

The idea is for preamp-less complete system driven by Apple Lossless tracks on iPod into a Wadia dock, so coax S/PDIF is also required.  The Wadia unit has no TOSLINK or AES/EBU (AES3).  Related post:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58526.msg730574#msg730574

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
In a related search...

We are looking for a reasonably priced D/A with balanced outputs and a level control .  Price target is <$600 street.  We can go a bit higher if necessary.  Any recommendations???

The idea is for preamp-less complete system driven by Apple Lossless tracks on iPod into a Wadia dock, so coax S/PDIF is also required.  The Wadia unit has no TOSLINK or AES/EBU (AES3).  Related post:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58526.msg730574#msg730574

Bunnyman357 had recommended this unit:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/TC-Electronic-Impact-Twin-Next-Generation-FireWire-Interface?sku=584562

Would that work?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 9 May 2010, 04:09 pm »
On the Giga DAC assembled kit, where is the ac power? Kit list:

The kit contents -
1. Main DAC board.    Size 80mm(D) X 55mm(W) X 25mm(H)
2. Power supply board  Size 80mm(D) X 55mm(W) X 40mm(H)
2. Come with High quality Encapsulated Power Transformers x1pcs  ( 110V or 220V )
4. IEC AC socket x1pcs

5. Connection cables

Features -
1) 4 separated individual precision voltage regulator.
2) High precision 1% metal film SMD resistors and metal capactors,
3) High grade op-amp NE5532 x 3pcs for the output stage.
4) A pair high quality RCA sockets for analog output.
5) On board jumper to select the digital input ( coaxial or optical ).
6) High quality ELNA and WIMA capacitors.

Audio Specifications:
Digital / Analog converters: PCM1798  (24bit 192khz DAC) (Old version use CS4397)
Digital receiver : Crystal CS8416
Master clock jitter: below measurable levels
Digital input: Coaxial and Optical
Analog output:  RCA  2V rms. @75 ohms

:o If I'm assuming correctly it would just need a typical ac cord like a desktop PC or monitor uses???

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 9 May 2010, 04:19 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini1543-DAC-TDA1543-DIR9001-NOS-DAC-Kit-Board-/290405888644#ht_2423wt_939

Another I found, that looks like it could use same Parts Express PS that powers my SB...
This is Cheap, got some good comments on DIY, I wanna build one, need a project...just thinking out/typing..

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #31 on: 9 May 2010, 04:38 pm »
On the Giga DAC assembled kit, where is the ac power? Kit list:

The kit contents -
1. Main DAC board.    Size 80mm(D) X 55mm(W) X 25mm(H)
2. Power supply board  Size 80mm(D) X 55mm(W) X 40mm(H)
2. Come with High quality Encapsulated Power Transformers x1pcs  ( 110V or 220V )
4. IEC AC socket x1pcs

5. Connection cables

Features -
1) 4 separated individual precision voltage regulator.
2) High precision 1% metal film SMD resistors and metal capactors,
3) High grade op-amp NE5532 x 3pcs for the output stage.
4) A pair high quality RCA sockets for analog output.
5) On board jumper to select the digital input ( coaxial or optical ).
6) High quality ELNA and WIMA capacitors.

Audio Specifications:
Digital / Analog converters: PCM1798  (24bit 192khz DAC) (Old version use CS4397)
Digital receiver : Crystal CS8416
Master clock jitter: below measurable levels
Digital input: Coaxial and Optical
Analog output:  RCA  2V rms. @75 ohms

:o If I'm assuming correctly it would just need a typical ac cord like a desktop PC or monitor uses???

You would have to complete the connection from the transformer. Since I was mounting mine in a Hammond case, I used a fused AC inlet (like what you see on the back panel of many electronics). The most difficult part of going with this approach was machining a hole for the inlet.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #32 on: 9 May 2010, 04:39 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini1543-DAC-TDA1543-DIR9001-NOS-DAC-Kit-Board-/290405888644#ht_2423wt_939

Another I found, that looks like it could use same Parts Express PS that powers my SB...
This is Cheap, got some good comments on DIY, I wanna build one, need a project...just thinking out/typing..

I think this DAC is limited to 16bit/44kHz. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 9 May 2010, 04:48 pm »
Good point..thank you.  :duh:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Bunnyman357 had recommended this unit:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/TC-Electronic-Impact-Twin-Next-Generation-FireWire-Interface?sku=584562

Would that work?
Not really, but thanks for the lead.  We want something small and simple, like Lavry or Benchmark, but a little less pricey...

srb

The Music Hall dac 25.2 has a level control and differential balanced solid state outputs (although its 6922 tube output is single ended).  It uses the TI PCM 1796 24bit/192kHz DAC.

It sells new for $595.

Steve

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat

The Music Hall dac 25.2 has a level control and differential balanced solid state outputs (although its 6922 tube output is single ended).  It uses the TI PCM 1796 24bit/192kHz DAC.

It sells new for $595.

Steve

Following up on Steve suggestion, I found this review at 6moon Audio (http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/usbdacs/1.html). The compare the  Music Hall along with with several other DACs. The tube buffer is an interesting feature. Overall, I prefer a "tube" sound for extended listening.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #37 on: 11 May 2010, 01:31 pm »
The more I noodle this issue around, the more it seems that the weak link in my configuration is actually the Mac Mini. The big problem with my box is that it is USB 1.0 (and does not include the built-in toslink connector). Those shortcoming make it impossible to move beyond 24 bit/96 kHz. It seems like most of the high rez USB DACs are designed for USB 2.0. (That's even the case for the M2 Tech converter.)

So it appears I need to take a step back and upgrade my Mini before doing anything else. Does this make sense, or am I not understanding something.

Steve

Apple just put up some refurbished Minis, so I purchased one for $499 plus tax. I'm leaning toward buying a M2 Tech HiFace and possibly connecting it to the inexpensive Gigawork dac. That would give me a good starting reference point for considering more expensive options (when budget allows).
« Last Edit: 11 May 2010, 03:39 pm by Atlplasma »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical

It sells new for $595.

Steve
Steve,
Unfortunately, the volume control only controls the headphone output...  Guess I'll keep looking for deals on Lavry and Benckmark.  Thanks.
-Tommy

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #39 on: 12 May 2010, 07:35 pm »
Here is an update on decision making process so far.

After investigating the DACs suggested here (and others), I concluded that my Mini with its USB 1.0 connections was not going to do the job. So I've ordered a refurbished Mini with USB 2.0. (and Firewire 800).

Many of the DACs I looked at could only output 44.1 kHz over USB--although the HRT supported up to 96 kHz. There seemed to be more options on with S/PDIF, so I've ordered an M2 Tech HiFace to convert USB to RCA.

Of course, these expenses haven't left much for a high-rez DAC. For comparison purposes I've ordered the new 24bit/192 kHz Gigawork DAC, which runs about $80 shipped. (I'm actually pretty satisfied with their upsampling DAC.) If nothing else, the Gigawork will provide a baseline when I can afford to trial something that is more upmarket.

Steve