prepro w/ speaker distance & bass mgmt implimentation through analog ins???

jriggy

I hope this is the correct forum for this...
I now have a moded universal player for hi rez codecs, sacd, bluray, ect... I wish to use the analog outs and let the player do the decoding, to take advantage the mods... BUT the player does not have full bass management nor does it let me input my correct speaker distance (no speakers can measure further away than the fronts!)... And my pre's analog ins do not use the internal distance settings or bass management unless set to 'DSP' and out of its 'bypass' mode, witch means adding processing in the pre and negates the whole thing...

So, Im looking for a great sounding multi ch analog pre that has speaker distance settings and crossover settings through its analog ins...

Any suggestions???

Thanks so much

Jason

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
This would get way more attention in the home theater Circle.  Your Oppo is the same as mine.  I use a Sony TA-P9000ES for analog multichannel hirez music only... it does channel trims, but not distances/delays nor crossover settings.  Delays and crossovers are digital in nature, typically, and done before the analog stage.  Yes, the Oppo assumes your mains are furthest and that you can accept 80hz as a xover point.  In my case I have all full range so I set to large and am on my way.

jriggy

Thanks ted, that is where I was debating posting...

Well, let me ask this here; are you or anyone else using the moded multi ch analog outs on the Oppo (or any other player)(for everything) successfully without channel delays? I can deal with the Oppo's internal crossovers as my mains are very close to full range and the rest could stand to be 80hz anyway... But the distance delay, that is a must to have set correct for any multi ch source, be it movie OR music is it not???

ted_b

• Facilitator
Thanks ted, that is where I was debating posting...

Well, let me ask this here; are you or anyone else using the moded multi ch analog outs on the Oppo (or any other player)(for everything) successfully without channel delays? I can deal with the Oppo's internal crossovers as my mains are very close to full range and the rest could stand to be 80hz anyway... But the distance delay, that is a must to have set correct for any multi ch source, be it movie OR music is it not???

How far off are your distances?

jriggy

My center ch & sub are 2 feet father away than my mains... So the mains can be set and the surrounds can be set, since they are closer than the mains but no channels can be set at a greater distance than the mains (just to re-cap).

So, mains @ 9ft, center & sub @ 11ft, surrounds @ 7ft... But through the Oppo I can only do Mains, center and sub @ 9ft and surrounds @ 7ft...

Jason

ted_b

• Facilitator
Sub is not an issue really, so center is only one that is affected.  2 feet is not a great distance; try it.  i doubt you'll tell the difference.  Doing anything else means too much processing (a-to-d, then d-to-a) which you WILL be able to tell the difference.  Crossovers are more likely a problem if 80hz doesn't work.  Believe me, we've let Oppo know that this is their Achilles heal...especially on the SE version.  My SE goes to Dan (Modwright) asap.

jriggy

Im so glad to here that people have let Oppo know that this is a big problem... I think I will do the same and who knows? Maybe they will come out with a firmware update for this if enough people continue to let them know... I hope everyone that cares has let them know!

Ant thanks for helping me break down the level of my issue. I guess Ill just set em like mentioned and move on for now.....

BTW, Dans analog mods to the BDP-83 sound nothing short of stellar in my environment!