acoustic treatment - the more foams the better?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #20 on: 1 Feb 2006, 04:31 pm »
I must have been crossing threads.  I was thinking he was referring to other less dense fiberglass panels - my bad.

Yes, IMO 4" of 705 or 4-6" of 703 straddling the corner will provide better bass control.  The bales do have some benefits but being 'space saving' is not one of them...

brj

« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2006, 05:27 pm »
Quote from: gonefishin
- A great way that DIY'ers could be saving money, is to buy non-backed 703,705 (and knauff equivalents) when they don't need it. The non-backed cartons of high density was a GOOD deal cheaper per carton. So if you don't need the foil skrim backed...don't buy it.

For clarity's sake, which specific application warrants the use of the foil-scrim backed version of high-density fiberglass board?  (Bass trap vs. reflection point control vs. ??)

For those applications that warrant it, but also benefit from doubling up the layers of board, should all layers use the foil-scrim version?

Thanks!

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2006, 05:43 pm »
> which specific application warrants the use of the foil-scrim backed version of high-density fiberglass board? <

For bass traps, having the foil (actually foil-covered paper) face the room absorbs more. But that absorbs less at higher frequencies so it's not recommended for treating first reflections. If you'd like to see a comparison of different fiberglass densities with and without the paper backing, see my Density Report:

www.ethanwiner.com/density/density.html

--Ethan

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2006, 08:32 pm »
Right.

And to be clear, when you're using multiple layers to get the thickness you need for bass absorbtion, only the first sheet (facing the room) would be scrim faced.  The others would be unfaced.

brj

« Reply #24 on: 2 Feb 2006, 02:42 am »
Thanks for the responses, guys!

Ethan, fantastic report - very helpful!