blog about jitter -your thoughts

firedog

audioengr

Re: blog about jitter -your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2009, 06:00 pm »
My thoughts?  Its an inexpensive DAC that uses ASRC upsampling to reduce jitter, just like the Benchmark DAC-1 and The BelCanto DAC3.

Even though all of these use ASRC, they still benefit from a low-jitter input is my experience.

Steve N.

jimiles

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2009, 01:57 am »
This blogger suggests that folks continue listening to CD's until some watershed development in computer music.  That is insanely out of touch with what's happening on the ground outside of the audiophile sphere. 

I recently saw a statistic that said 60 percent of people under the age of X don't own a single CD.  When the kids in high school (code for all people currently under age 30) get their hands on some disposable income they aren't suddenly going to forsake their iTunes library for a giant stack of CDs in the name of becoming an audiophile.  They'll start improving on what they've got, and that's why products like the PS Audio DAC Link are so important.   

As painful as it may be to admit, outside forces dictate the ground rules. Companies can either create products that improve the computer music experience or they can resign themselves to be niche players in a shrinking market. 

hadden

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2009, 01:04 pm »
Yes CD buyers are generally middle aged or older. It is amazing how slowly it's taking the record companies to get a clue about the bleedingly obvious.

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2009, 05:39 pm »
You know what they say about old dogs.  Its mostly true.  My Lab is only 4 years old and I cant teach her anything new....

It's like the brick-and-mortar model of selling high-end stereo.  Hard to make it die.  Everyone behaves like its still the model, but it isnt, except maybe for speakers.

Steve N.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2009, 08:36 pm »
I recently saw a statistic that said 60 percent of people under the age of X don't own a single CD. 

Our local free paper The Tucson Weekly recently had an interview with a 22 year old DJ, in it he said:

How many total albums do you own (CDs, vinyl, cassettes, 8-tracks)?

Hundreds, from Ace of Base to Zoo Brazil?most of which are in MP3 format. I sold pretty much all of my CDs to Bookmans, except for those select nostalgic few.

Do you download music, and if so, legally or illegally?

I only download music illegally if I can find it in the highest-quality format. Otherwise, I usually just buy MP3s off of Amazon.com or Juno.

Read more: http://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/9-questions/Content?oid=1180331

I would guess if he is typical of his age group then the little silver disks are history, for me they already are because I ripped all my CD's to wav files.

Wayne

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2009, 09:33 pm »
Those that have capabilty for 24/96 files should download "Slow Day" here:

http://www.bluecoastrecords.com/blue-coast-collection-24bit/96khz-downloads

Amazing.

Steve N.

orthobiz

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2009, 10:32 pm »
Jitter? I'm still tackling wow and flutter!

Paul :icon_twisted: