standard Omega vs. "R" upgrades?

myoung

« on: 8 May 2003, 05:43 pm »
I'm looking at a pair of Omegas -- most likely the TS3 or Super 3 -- to couple with a nOrh SE-9 in a small room. I notice that some of the Omega speakers are offered in standard and "R" versions, but haven't read anything here comparing the two.

Has anyone compared the same model in the standard and R configuration?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mike

jwha

« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2003, 06:30 pm »
Haven't tried any of the R models, but currently have the TS3 along with an SE9.  Excellent transparency and imaging, but I wish there was a little more bass.  Currently looking into different subs to complement the TS3s.  You can see my system here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vdone&1052281924&openusid&zzJwha&4&5#Jwha

Bosh

The "R" designation...
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2003, 04:38 am »
The "R" versions of Omega products refers to the use of all Cardas internal wiring and (wonderful) Cardas binding posts.

The binding posts are great, I can tell you that much.  A HUGE improvemnet over the standard set.

As far as your bass issues:  I know Louis is working with a new damping material he says much improves the low freq. response of his speakers.  In the mean time, you might try placing the speakers close(er) to the rear wall and/or corners of the room.  This has a nice boosting effect in the lower ranges (but it may adversly effect imaging if you have a rack or etc between the speakers).

-bosh

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2003, 01:30 am »
In speaking with Louis, he's open to customization.  You could probably work out a combination of stand and "R" features.

Regarding the binding posts, yes I've seen reports from several who rant about how much difference they can make.  But IMO, why not eliminate them completely?  Louis would be open to running customer supplied cables straight through the cabinet (w/caulk).  Some have carried that to the next level and made another direct connection inside their amps.  

That would separate the equipment buffs from the music lovers in a hurry!

Bosh

Oh cripes. Hardwire.
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2003, 02:44 am »
Look, that's really cool if you're convinced you want to marry the 'speaker cables you own at the moment.

I mentioned the Cardas binding posts as "wonderful" because of their great engineering:  A single knob to twist for both + & - and a seal so tight you never have to "check" it in regular usage.

It's just north of peachy that Louis is willing to hardwire the cables of your choice into his designs.  Caulk and all.

Just hope you're VERY convinced you're using the best/right/only cable for the job.  You might get a raise next year.

-b

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2003, 01:56 pm »
Hardwiring speaker cables doesn't have to be a forever kind of thing.

If you can use caulk/putty and make electrical connections, you can change cables on single driver speakers in an hour.  The hard part is shopping for cables because you can't easily/quickly swap out.  Those who use magnet wire or CAT-5 type of cables already have bare ends.

The best signal path is the one with the least connections/components/length.  Compared to most of the equipment tweaks folks try, this is relatively easy and cost effective.

Just another idea to provide the most direct connection between speaker and amp possible.

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2003, 12:48 am »
Differences in the Standard and R versions are the R compound, Cardas Litz wire and and Patented Posts. These mods won't give more bass, but will improve the speed and refine the bass as well as smooth out the midrange.

I welcome customizing the speakers and have done it many times. Speakers can be ordered with just the R compound or Cardas posts and no compound. Also I would be happy to install customers wiring. Running the cables from the driver through the cabinet is no problem at all, no extra charge and I'll deduct the cost of the binding posts from the cost of the speakers.

As far as binding posts go, I really like the Cardas Patented posts. These are really easy to use and Bosh is right about the clamping, they clamp down on the cables so well and won't loosen over time. A wonderful design.

Hi Jwha,

Bosh is right about using room gain to get more bass out of the TS3s. This could effect the soundstaging and sometimes give boomy bass. The bass from the TS3s is very fast and room gain can work. It's worth a shot before you spend money on the sub. If you want the sub I would advise you look for a closed box design. The Super 3 does have a lot more bass than the TS3 and with the new damping it's amazing how much bass it makes for such a small driver.