xrs!!!

schotter

xrs!!!
« on: 25 Jan 2006, 12:24 am »
I picked up a pair of these beauties (zebrawood, same style as the ones on Redwineaudios link) at Louis' this Saturday and they nailed me to my sofa for a couple of days now...acoustic guitars, voices, cello suites, reggae dub, oldskool electronic beats, blues...everything sounds very alive, 'real', bass is quite big but always nicely defined. And they are fast! Far from broken in, in Louis' own words they 'sound their worst' right now (if this is the case, these bad puppies will probably be outrageously good very soon). But I see no need pounding them with a drum & bass Ipod playlist while I am away, they sounded really involving 'out of the box'. My room is large, but they are not as pinpointy as my Minuets were. The pointing up helps a lot filling the room with what I hear in front. No problems driving them with my 2x20W Op amp. Great sounding pair of good looking speakers! I will probably write more as they break in. For now it looks like my search has ended. Oh, and Louis, thanks for a real good time listening to them in your factory. [/i]

Louis O

xrs!!!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2006, 12:58 am »
Hi schotter,

Many thanks for your post of the XRS.

It was great meeting you and I had a great time too. Many thanks for bringing your equipment and it was great to have an opportunity to hear another fantastic Solid State amp.

Break in won’t be too long and they will get better and better. I really like the adjustability of them and so easy to place in the room.

Thanks again,
Louis

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
xrs!!!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2006, 06:55 pm »
Looks like Louis finally posted them on his webpage:

http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/super%203xrs.htm

My are breaking in and I am LOVING them.  They are like my Super 3 V2s, but with more bottom end that goes deeper and hits harder.  I can't believe the bass that these little 4.5" drivers can put out!  

I also like how I can adjust the angle that which they fire.  Right now they are pointing slightly above my ears and I am getting getting a wide and deep soundstage with them about 10 feet apart.  

Awesome job, Louis!  

I'll be posting more comments when I put on about 200 hours...

Louis also mentioned that some reviews are in the pipeline for these and the Super Hemps  8)

roymail

• Roy in TX
XRS posts
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2006, 11:48 pm »
Thanks guys for the update on the new XRS.  Other than the bigger low end which Louis had mentioned previously, in what other ways does the XRS sound differently from the Super 3s which I currently use?  Vinnie, please comment from the standpoint of the Clari-T user.  Thanks for the posts.  Louis we'll talk sometime after the Montreal Show.

Louis O

xrs!!!
« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2006, 02:02 am »
Thanks Vinnie and I did finally upgrade the site. Much more soon and a lot of pics. I plan on taking good pictures of all the finishes.

The XRS’s have much more bass and it’s bass you can feel. I got at least mid 40’s in my room which is pretty big and the speakers were over 24” from the rear wall and clear from the side walls too. They sound the best for me with little toe in and setting the angle of the driver to little bit above your ears.

The Super 3s are faster and a little more articulate. They are also better for very close to rear wall placements. Imaging and sound staging is great on both, but the setting the angle on the XRS’s opens the sound up a bit more.

American Wired and MSNBC are going to review the XRS and Positive Feedback has the Superhemps.

Thanks again,
Louis