From horns to single driver

Emil

From horns to single driver
« on: 21 Jun 2014, 09:08 pm »
Boy I hate this hobby :lol:

Hi guys

Recently went from Magnepans to Cornscalas ( Klipsch-like Cornwall) and couldn't be happier. The horn provides clarity and dynamics that I have never experienced before.

Since we all know how this hobby can be, I curious to hear from any ex-horn owner here.
What do you miss? What have you gained? Omegas advantage of being crossoverless must be huge! What about  high frequency response with just one driver?

Current amp is the Quicksilver 300B.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: From horns to single driver
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2014, 01:20 am »
Hello Emil,

I wasn't aware Quicksilver had a 300B.  My experience with horns is at a lower level than yours, but years ago I had a pair of Wharfedale diamond 9.1s with a Rega Brio 3 and Cyrus CD6 for a front end.  On a lark I bought some discontinued clearance Klipsch S2.  I pulled the Diamonds out and put in the Klipsch.  Literally layers of detail were exposed - it was like coming down a long hill in a car when your ears pop.  Ambience and sense of space galore.  I put the Diamonds back in and immediately noticed the vastly superior wide open midrange of the Diamonds.  When I got my first Omegas I had a marriage of the two other speakers and then some.  Chrystal clarity along with wide open unboxed midrange, and imaging that beat anything I had previously heard.  Quality of bass is also first rate regardless of model.  Your amp would be a great match for any Omega speaker.