Central Iowa super mini setup.

Ryan0348

Central Iowa super mini setup.
« on: 6 Jan 2020, 12:43 pm »
Hi my name is Ryan Iv been into audio for a few years. My first decent stereo/speaker setup was a sansui g7700 and some klipsch kg5.5. I then went on to some kp301 klipsch and then my last set of horns were some fastrac audio eliptrac cnc wood horns with dual 15” woofer cabs. Over the course of a few months I found GR Research and I built the super top end and used them on top of my dual 15” woofer cab. They sounded very good very detailed. I could hear details in music I never herd before. I could hear any small changes I made to room treatments, different amps, different versions of the same songs when streaming like 44.1/16 vs 24/96 and so on. I recently finished the m165x side firing wedge shape lower cabinets along with the dual H frame open baffle subs. I didn’t buy the flat packs and instead built everything form the blueprints for the h frames and the side firing base just from pics online. I’m using Danny’s passive crossovers for the top end but I have tried a marchand xm46 passive line level crossover and a xilica xp3060. Danny’s passive setup sounds the best and of course makes sense since he designed them lol. The side firing base I’m using the xilica xp3060 for the crossover. I’m also still using the marchand line level passive to high pass the super mini top end with a 6 dB 16p caps for a total of a 12db slope cause of the acoustic highpass of his design along with a 6 dB filter adds up to 12db. I use room eq wizard to measure everything. The side firing base I’m low passing at 60hz and high passing at 150hz. Everything gm sounds awsome! The soundstage and imaging is better then anything I could hope for. There is only 2 things I think could be better but I’m not sure it’s needs to better it’s just a lil different.

The first is mid bass whack or hit I guess you could say. Around I’m guessing 150 to 350 hz it doesn’t seam to have the same kind of punch my horns and 15” bass cabs did. It’s a little softer around there. I know it’s cause of the difference between the neo10 and a 15” woofer but the measured response of that range in my room is the same. I’m thinking it’s just the difference between open baffles and horns. Any ideas.

My 2nd Is the side firing base low pass crossover point of 150hz. If I don’t crossover at that point It has a really strong peak at 200 to 215 hz. If use anything less then a 24 dB filter or crossover it over at around say 175 or so it still carry’s a flat response out to 225 hz before it even starts to drop. I have to crossover 50hz lower so it’s down enough at 210hx to kill the rising peak there. I’ve braced the inside very well and I’ve also used flooring laminate on the inside along with carpet padding spray adhesives to the inside to Help Dampen. It’s gotta be either a strong resonance or a baffle step rise: that’s just my guess. I can apply peq’s to that area in the xilica but using it for anything other then just a basic crossover seams to hurt the ambiance more the it helps the problem.
I’m guessing the above problem with the side firing base is contributing to the lack of hit or whack of the leading edege of drrums. Any help Or ideas  or comments  would be appreciated

[/img][/img]

Some of these pics are a few weeks old. I have recently added no Rez to the subs. And added a rhythmic ported Servo sub. Not sure where I’m gonna put it in the room yet.

Ryan0348

Re: Central Iowa super mini setup.
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2020, 12:55 pm »
How do I flip the pictures around. Lol

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2020, 03:05 pm »
Looking good.

Are those 4 of the 8" OB servo subs in the sub bass? 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2020, 03:13 pm »

Ryan0348

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2020, 04:14 pm »
Thank you for flipping the pics. No they are not the servo 8” there are the m165x 6.5” woofers. And also when I said I was high passing the super mini top with line level crossover the cap value is not 16pf I’ll have to look again. 16pf is another module I have built. I wanna say I have .7 something uf

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2020, 05:01 pm »
Ryan0348,
Thanks for the info!

Nick77

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2020, 10:35 am »
Hi Ryan have you compared using just the Servo H base only covering 150hz down VS the M165??
Million dollar question is which one sounds better.
Thanks

Ryan0348

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2020, 01:23 pm »
Yes I have tried the mini top on top of the servo subs. It does have more mid bass punch using the h frames up to 150 200 hz but it has worse soundstage stand up bass and drums sound less lifelike.

Ryan0348

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2020, 01:25 pm »
My guess like Danny has said in the post for the sidefiring base the frontal area for the servo sub is to wide and keeping the front width of the speaker as narrow as possible for as low as possible has the best soundstage

RonP

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2020, 01:51 pm »
Out of curiosity, what speakers are those sitting on the Open Baffle Subs? Like like an MTM arrangement? Are those kevlar drivers?

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2020, 05:02 pm »
Ryan, not clear if you're doing this already  or not but if not,   try using the  dual 12's   for the bottom end... low pass them and roll off the  M165's.
Danny's been  runn 3 8's   from  approx  200 - 50 then filling in the bottom  with   the  3 x12  stacks.
Did you add a ton of bracing to the  M165 tower  ?  Also, couldn't tell from pic  ( a bit washed out on my monitor)  but you  want to keep the woofers as close to the front baffle  as you  can

jay

mkane

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2020, 05:15 pm »
 If it's anyone's desire there's Super Mini's here & Wedgies if you want to listen.

Ryan0348

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jan 2020, 05:49 pm »
Those are madisound froy Mk2 speaker kit. They are my side surround. They image as good as anything. They just don’t play super loud. I got em for sale on Facebook here in Iowa. Pm me if your interested

Ryan0348

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2020, 05:56 pm »
Yes I run the dual 12s from 20 to 80hz then the m165 are from 50hz to 175hz. I have quit a bit of bracing inside the 165 base. I need to get some no Rez though. I’m using lamanite and carpet padding right now on the inside.