NAD M50.2

Zuman

NAD M50.2
« on: 18 Jan 2021, 04:08 am »
Hi, All. New member here.
I have a NAD M50.2 that I've used a lot over the past two years primarily as a music vault into which I've dumped my entire CD library. Unfortunately, the metadata for some of the CDs is lacking.
I've decided it's time to address this...so do any of you have any tips? I'll accept all the hand-holding you'd be willing to offer!
Thanks.
-Mike

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
Re: NAD M50.2
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2021, 06:36 pm »
Hi, All. New member here.
I have a NAD M50.2 that I've used a lot over the past two years primarily as a music vault into which I've dumped my entire CD library. Unfortunately, the metadata for some of the CDs is lacking.
I've decided it's time to address this...so do any of you have any tips? I'll accept all the hand-holding you'd be willing to offer!
Thanks.
-Mike

I have the same unit,   like it a lot,  and also did the same "mass cd burn" that you did.    And yes,  same thing here -  for small label or some imports etc. ,  the metadata won't load.   One of their NAD articles said that customers can send them info. on missing metadata,  it helps them to fill in holes in their metadata library.   You'd have to contact NAD to learn how to give them that info,  I forget what they told me but I think there's a specific method where you send them you're index info.   Also:   they pointed me to another instructional NAD article on how to manually load metadata,  but honestly it sounded like a pain (which it might not be,  I'm just computer-dumb)  so I just live with it.  The vast majority of the metadata in my collection is present.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2021, 08:25 pm »
I also have a NAD M50.2 that I have loaded about 1,000 CDs onto. It usually gets the metadata correct, but a small percentage of CDs have not been recognized. Out of frustration, I have deleted those 10-20 from the database. I don't like having "unknown CD" or "unknown artist" show up in my library.

A bigger frustration for me is that some, not all, long CDs - say those over 70 minutes long in playing time - won't load at all. The NAD gives the message "Rip failed - taking too long". It seems that some will have to be played optically - not what I was hoping for.

I hope someone at NAD is reading this thread and does something to help out.

grsimmon

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2021, 09:17 pm »
I also have a NAD M50.2 that I have loaded about 1,000 CDs onto. It usually gets the metadata correct, but a small percentage of CDs have not been recognized. Out of frustration, I have deleted those 10-20 from the database. I don't like having "unknown CD" or "unknown artist" show up in my library.

A bigger frustration for me is that some, not all, long CDs - say those over 70 minutes long in playing time - won't load at all. The NAD gives the message "Rip failed - taking too long". It seems that some will have to be played optically - not what I was hoping for.

I hope someone at NAD is reading this thread and does something to help out.

I have found contacting NAD customer service to be really helpful.   That and using their support pages.   I was having a similar problem when I first got the unit,  "Rip failed - taking too long."  It was happening like crazy. Their customer service gave me a really easy fix that has solved the problem ever since.    Using my linked computer that I use to control the unit via the Bluos application. (may be able to also use your smart phone or iPad, etc.),    you access the NAD internal memory and delete a temporary folder that holds the files while it is ripping CD's.   I may not be using the right term but it's like a working memory folder.   Trust me I suck with computers,  and once NAD pointed me in the right direction to just delete the contents of that folder,  it was really easy.    If you contact them they'll help you out!   Keep in mind that if you have any CD's that are really scratched up,  that can also trigger the "rip failed" problem,  however that's a separate problem and I don't fault the 50.2 for that. 

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2021, 05:02 pm »
Looks like the HD can be accessed over the network.
https://support.bluos.net/hc/en-us/articles/360000480068-Accessing-the-BluOS-Internal-Storage-From-a-Computer

This allows you to rip "problem" CDs with a decent ripper like dBpoweramp.
After completion, transfer them to the BluOS device over the LAN

You might also try to tag files directly using MP3Tag, MuzikBrainz or any media player of your choice e.g. Musicbee.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2021, 06:08 pm »

Thanks. I'll try to locate and delete that file.

I have found contacting NAD customer service to be really helpful.   That and using their support pages.   I was having a similar problem when I first got the unit,  "Rip failed - taking too long."  It was happening like crazy. Their customer service gave me a really easy fix that has solved the problem ever since.    Using my linked computer that I use to control the unit via the Bluos application. (may be able to also use your smart phone or iPad, etc.),    you access the NAD internal memory and delete a temporary folder that holds the files while it is ripping CD's.   I may not be using the right term but it's like a working memory folder.   Trust me I suck with computers,  and once NAD pointed me in the right direction to just delete the contents of that folder,  it was really easy.    If you contact them they'll help you out!   Keep in mind that if you have any CD's that are really scratched up,  that can also trigger the "rip failed" problem,  however that's a separate problem and I don't fault the 50.2 for that.

grsimmon

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2021, 02:41 am »
If you follow that link above provided by Vincent,  it gives you the play by play of accessing the internal memory.   The folder I was mentioning is called "Rips,"  that's the temporary 'working memory."  Delete the contents of that folder. 

Zuman

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2021, 01:49 am »
Thanks, guys!