The new RS8 based speakers

mrvco

Re: The new RS8 based speakers
« Reply #40 on: 17 Apr 2017, 08:26 pm »
Those Omegas have been re-listed at least once now.  I am surprised they haven't sold, but the pictures could be better and I'm sure "Local Pick-up Only" in South Carolina limits the number of potential buyers.

roscoe65

« Reply #41 on: 17 Apr 2017, 11:30 pm »
"Local pickup" is a death sentence for many sales.  It is pretty easy (and not that expensive) to ship equipment these days.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #42 on: 17 Apr 2017, 11:31 pm »
He had them listed before with shipping.  :scratch:

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #43 on: 18 Apr 2017, 12:01 am »
"Local pickup" is a death sentence for many sales.  It is pretty easy (and not that expensive) to ship equipment these days.

Not so much with marble slabs.  It's what I have (on top) and they are very heavy.

..........Peter

mrvco

« Reply #44 on: 10 May 2017, 08:23 pm »
Has anyone here bought a set of Super 8's yet?  I'm curious how they compare to the Super 7's and the similarly priced SAM (or the now defunct Super Alnico Tower).  I still absolutely love my Super 7's, but it's hard not to think about the future :xmas:
« Last Edit: 10 May 2017, 09:32 pm by mrvco »

drhoon

« Reply #45 on: 11 May 2017, 01:09 am »
also interested in ferrite vs hemp ( RS8 vs Alnico 6") drivers. What are the strength of different material?

pursuitofnow

« Reply #46 on: 11 May 2017, 01:22 am »
drhoon, ferrite is the magnet type, and hemp is used for cone material.

restrav

« Reply #47 on: 14 May 2017, 06:51 pm »
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2019, 01:10 pm by restrav »

pstrisik

« Reply #48 on: 15 May 2017, 05:44 pm »
Hi

I have a question about your omega speakers and I was hoping that you'd be kind enough to write back to let me know

1 - what are the driver's exactly in your speakers?

2 - how doues the bass compare with multiway floor standers? (like floorstanders from VSA, Usher or any other brand you know)

3 - what kind of music are the best and worst suited for?

Im a single river person but im really considering subs or bigger floorstanders thats why im asking. I also asked the price because I want to know what kind of value per dollar they offer. thanks again.

The drivers in the monitors are Louis' 6" alnicos as they are Super Alnico Monitors ($2000 - $2300 depending on veneer).  The drivers in the powered woofers are Rythmik HS800 8" servo drivers with Rythmik plate amp.  Brian sells these as kits for powered mid-bass modules.  It is this:  http://rythmikaudio.com/DS800ci.html (the CI kit M7: one HX300 drives one DS800-3).  About $750 for two kits with the multiple unit discount.  You would have to build, or have Louis build as I did, enclosures for the woofers.  So add the price for the enclosures.

IMO, this configuration (without subs) outshines many, if not most, multi-way towers in the bass department.  You can set these plate amps to extend down to either 50Hz (typically when you are using subs) or 30Hz (with or without subs).  Set at 30Hz, the bass is excellent.  You have 350W amps with torroidal based power supplies for the woofers.  If you use an external active xover, you can make for a very smooth transition at the xover point and lessen the load both on your low wattage main amp and the monitors themselves improving the mid-high performance.

Unless you like to crank thinks up beyond 100db, these handle whatever you throw at them.  From jazz to classical.  Bass heavy is fine.  Though heavy bass for me would mostly be in reggae and R&B - not so much hip-hop or heavy metal, though they might do fine there as well.  I just don't play it.

.......Peter

restrav

« Reply #49 on: 15 May 2017, 06:27 pm »
thank you so much. Exactrly what I needed to know. what is your favorite amp to match with them?

pstrisik

« Reply #50 on: 15 May 2017, 07:32 pm »
Low wattage single ended Class A tube or Class A solid state.  I use a tube preamp, the Dennis Had Inspire LP-2.  For tube amp, his single ended pentode running EL-34 output tubes at about 10wpc (see my avatar).  For solid state, I have a DIY pair of Nelson Pass designed 8 watt monoblocs.  It is his Amp Camp Amplifier kit upgraded with a linear, torroid, 24vdc power supply.  Surprisingly great given it's simplicity.  Here's a post with those amps:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=94374.msg1599611#msg1599611.

..........Peter

restrav

« Reply #51 on: 15 May 2017, 08:12 pm »
I am familiar with ACA. thanks for sharing. sounds like a lot of effort has gone into this system. thanks again.I have a nuprime IDA-8 and im gonna add a  low watt tube. but probaby a Kt88 design.

pstrisik

« Reply #52 on: 15 May 2017, 09:08 pm »
If you are interested in his work, he makes a variety of designs including a KT-88.  I think he also has a parallel single-ended KT-88 (two output tubes per channel) design that puts out somewhere around 20wpc.  There's lots at https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170.  Overwhelming thread that I started a couple of years ago, but you can see the enthusiasm and overwhelmingly positive reviews.  There are a few posting in recent months that have the PSE design.

.......Peter

restrav

« Reply #53 on: 15 May 2017, 09:30 pm »
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2019, 01:33 pm by restrav »

pstrisik

« Reply #54 on: 15 May 2017, 11:37 pm »
The new RS8 is a ferrite based driver.  It would still be a worthy upgrade to the older hemp driver I'm sure.  Some others here may have direct experience with it or both.

Contact Dennis Had directly and he would likely build something for you.  That way you have more input into the design - within limits anyway.  He developed something on the power supply side about six months ago.  Search for IIPS or Infinite Impedance Power Supply (he now seems to call it Infinite Regulator Power Supply) in that thread I linked earlier.  If you buy used, you won't get this if built before this year and it is something like a $300 upgrade.  This includes upgraded caps that he now uses.  The improvement with this upgrade was not subtle.

All of his SEP designs will run a wide range of tubes including KT-88.  This listing is the same as mine before I had the upgrade:
http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Amplifier-Tube/Inspire/Fire-Bottle/Single-Ended-KT150/166439

It has been listed for a couple of months since he is asking too much for it.  I think that amp was about $1500 new.  Here's an example of a more recent KT-88 model - sold for $1395 new:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEREO-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-INSPIRE-by-DENNIS-HAD-KT88-TUBE-SINGLE-ENDED-AMPLIFIER-/152457176853?hash=item237f27e715:g:7~kAAOSwIgNXokNy.  It does have the new power supply mod.  You can message him on ebay through that listing if you want to get in touch with him. 

........Peter

restrav

« Reply #55 on: 15 May 2017, 11:51 pm »
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2019, 01:34 pm by restrav »

pstrisik

« Reply #56 on: 16 May 2017, 02:06 am »
looking at the pictures in the link from audiuogon that i have posted above, could anyone please identify the driver?

Dadbeh, it looks like the photos are gone.  Maybe they stop displaying after sold?  You may need to post your own photos.  Always fun to see setups anyway!   :wink:

Curiosity, were you close enough to pick them up, did he ship the granite, or did you go without it?

......Peter

restrav

« Reply #57 on: 16 May 2017, 02:13 am »

« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2019, 01:34 pm by restrav »

roscoe65

« Reply #58 on: 16 May 2017, 02:37 am »
That looks like the old 8" hempcone driver.  You would ask louis if he can retrofit the new RS8 driver into the cabinet.  It may take a port modification, but maybe not.  I upgraded drivers to the RS5 and it is a massive upgrade.

pstrisik

« Reply #59 on: 16 May 2017, 03:07 pm »
Wow, I bet shipping was quite a bit.  Still cheaper than having new granite cut.  Two pieces like that would run in the hundreds.

.......Peter