Like Marbles, I too was about done. Until today. . .

Phat Phreddy

• http://www.PhatPhreddy.net
« Reply #80 on: 22 Jan 2004, 02:43 am »
To address concerns about drives read accuracy.. The drive reads the data and passes it to the soundcard with full bit perfect error checking.  PC's handle huge amounts of 'code' perfectly without any data error the speed up time and effects like that are irrelevant in a PC (if you have digital extraction enabled) and it is the soundcard that buffers and clocks the output.  This is the first point in the chain where jitter can occur and so if the soundcard is clocking and immediately feeding its DACs  I think you can see a very fair argument why a PC has the option of being far better in a jitter perspective.

Personally I keep all my audio ripped and encoded losslessly on a RAID5 server for data protection that is hidden away in the house.  This machine then is networked into my home system so that the multiple noisy drives are held elsewhere.  My HTPC has a laptop drive in it for quieter operation (I cant hear my HTPC with my ear 1 ft from the case)...

Of course then there are neat toys like having all your audio names and tags displayed on the VFD on the fron (try that with CDs)...

Phat Phreddy

• http://www.PhatPhreddy.net
« Reply #81 on: 22 Jan 2004, 02:51 am »
Last comment  :wink:  

Have you ever heard people claiming that black CDR's play better... Heard thier raves about opening up the sound etc... Wondered why ???

The reason this can happen is that CD drives in audio equipment are reading in real time (small buffer for scratches sometimes) and feeding that ouput in a linear fashion.  Errors are 'corrected' by interpretation etc.

The black CDR may allow the read head to get the audio data more accurately and so less errors happen.

When using a PC based solution with a top quality ripper (like EAC or MC in digital secure) the ripper will keep rereading multiple times until it gets a reading reliably or gives up as the sector in not accurately readable.  This data is then stored on disc in the best cleanest read it can and fed with checksums to the soundcard.

Hence the best read of a black CDR in a linear read fashion still has less chance of a perfect error corrected free output than a PC based solution.  Add in the fact that unless you are using very high end equipment that reclocks the SPDIF bitstream (a la Meridian etc) you are slaving the clock a long way up the chain with multiple points for jitter to occur as per my earlier post.

99% of the time that people have faulted a PC playback solution they have not heard a recent Pro card with bit perfect playback SW set up properly.  To listen to a default install of musicmatch bit mangling everything over directsound or waveout or even lossy encoding is not what should be used as a demo tool.

Hantra

« Reply #82 on: 22 Jan 2004, 01:56 pm »
3.) The VRS products look very nice, but why wouldn't any of you PC gurus market a poor man's version with 95% of the sound quality?

You know, I am not going to be THAT guy who breaks it down and tells you what is in the VRS, although there are people on other forums that will.  I can only say that my setup sounds as good as the VRS, and not 95%.  I think the bulk of the improvement comes from hard drive based playback, and the rest would be the great sound card.

Also, as I talked to Dan about, I really think VRS has very competitive pricing.  To be honest, I am not sure I would do what VRS is doing for what they are charging.  Just because of the support issue.  And if you sell a product that you don't support, then you just get bashed on the forums, and lose most of your potential customers.  

If you guys could just hear how good this thing is, it would be different.  I think the people who are going to buy the VRS are the people who can hear one.  It's unfathomable for most people.