Configuration Lockdown for Smartphone

Doublej

Configuration Lockdown for Smartphone
« on: 23 Apr 2022, 02:35 pm »
Is there some way to easily lockdown an iPhone or Android phone once it has been setup? My 80+ year old mom's flip phone is going to stop working soon and I was contemplating replacing it with a smartphone.

If I did, I would want to put just a few apps on the home screen and then lock it down to make sure that she doesn't accidentally mess it up.

toocool4

Re: Configuration Lockdown for Smartphone
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2022, 03:19 pm »
I have not done it lately, but you use to be able to lock App instal and removal with passcode, I am sure it’s still there.

Install and set the Apps you want, then lock it down with instal and removal code that only you know. That's for iPhones, not sure if you can do the same on Android phones.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2022, 03:22 pm »
Smartphone for Older Adults
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=smartphone+for+older+adults

If you go with a regular phone I would install Malwarebytes Premium, which comes with a 3 device license. I have the app on my main computer and my phone, I consider Malwarebytes an essential security tool, especially on my computer where I tend to go everywhere on the web. The Premium has real-time monitoring and automatic daily scanning, it's lightweight too, don't even know it's running in the background.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Phone have setting for children but I have never used them.

I would give Mom the phone and tell her to just use it as is, poke around, see what it does. Assure her that no matter what she does she can't break it. She might surprise you.
Locking her out will also cause you problems, like when she wants install the Safeway app to get discounts on her favorite Entenmann's Crumb Coffee Cake.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2022, 03:32 pm »
Is there a way to disable search and app library on iPhone?Sometime, my parents accidentally put it on and get stuck.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2022, 03:42 pm »
A phone that can disable or has zero startup security would be ideal. No password, no facial recognition, no fingerprint signin to use. Mom has to be able to pick it up and use it just like her old flip phone.

Does Mom still have a landline? She will have to call someone when her new smartphone locks up.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2022, 08:06 pm »
My 80+ year old mom's flip phone is going to stop working soon and I was contemplating replacing it with a smartphone.

Imagine a person from the future came up and handed you a 3" x 6" slab of black glass. It's a computer with no buttons and no discernible top or bottom. Now what do you do to make it work?
That is what a smart phone looks like to a senior.

When my Mom was 80+, my brother moved her out of her apartment and into his house. The arrangement worked out well for both of them.
He got rid of the land line so whenever I called to say hi, my brother handed Mom his smart phone. That didn't work out so well, Mom could never figure out where to listen or talk on that slab of glass and plastic.

Why not get your Mom another flip phone?
https://www.lively.com/phones/jitterbug-flip2/

$98.99 @ Amazon