Time for a bathroom renovation

Doublej

Time for a bathroom renovation
« on: 9 Apr 2022, 12:33 pm »
It time for my contractor to renovate a small bathroom I have. I need to find a 24" bathroom vanity, an integrated vanity top/sink and faucets for it. I also need a medicine cabinet and an above the toilet cabinet. It would be great if all three matched but that doesn't appear to be how these things are sold.

Where do folks recommend I look online for these? He can't do it until August so longish lead times are not a problem.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Time for a bathroom renovation
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2022, 12:43 pm »
Consider a local cabinet maker to build what you want. It will cost more but you may be surprised. Part of a higher price will be in the materials used.
A local guy built a couple of cabinets for me and price was very reasonable and craftsmanship was excellent.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2022, 01:05 pm »
Suggest a pedestal sink if counter space isn't a concern but overall space is.  18 years when we built Kohler had matching pedestal sinks and toilets that we used for our small powder room.  Years later we added an over toilet storage cabinet that didn't have to match the other pieces. 

Don't recommend keeping meds in a lockable room. 

Small toilet rooms are the best place in the house to go less conservative on decor.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2022, 02:29 pm »
In my old house, I had a half bath and when I re-did that I used a pedestal sink (didn't need storage as my master bath was on the other side of the wall.  If you need storage with a pedestal sink, they make stuff like - https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bathroom-Vanities/6405/subcat.html?featuredproduct=27565221&featuredoption=47361033&ci_sku=32724789-000-000&cnc=US&cid=310354&type=&targetid=pla-306315525022&track=pspla&gclid=CjwKCAjw3cSSBhBGEiwAVII0ZztBHTB0blaj4DFkWPzHlsZ5vZDIZaxZgbGpIVH1lVZXo3tHzA1vxxoCqooQAvD_BwE    or    https://www.amazon.com/pedestal-sink-storage-cabinet/s?k=pedestal+sink+storage+cabinet

There's lots of over the toilet storage as well - e.g. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=over+toilet+storage+cupboard&gclid=CjwKCAjw3cSSBhBGEiwAVII0Z0U8YuMFMt6wNGgAPWaA_IrvH5aHkqqc9xj2RyLOhAgNLRcg4OeM0RoCRgoQAvD_BwE&hvadid=590460303981&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9011840&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=8856663273387062618&hvtargid=kwd-312952116409&hydadcr=9037_9887738&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_3x3surskp0_e

In the old house, I re-did both the master bath and the half bath.  Due to a defective roof issue in the current house, I finally got the builder's attention after hiring an attorney and getting an engineering report.  They're in the process of fixing things (and I told them over a year ago if they don't get out here and at least put a tarp over the roof they'll end up ripping up the master bath, which they did due to mold.  It is not quite back together yet.  The plumbing fixtures and paint are waiting at this point.  They just finished the tile.

Another thing you can do in any bathroom is put in a recessed tile shelf anywhere (unless hiding everything behind cabinet doors is a must.  Here's an example - https://www.innoviscorp.com/recess-it/

Another thing you can do to create a bit more cabinet space is to do a vessel sink.  Below is a pic of the master bath after it was re-done in my old house.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2022, 03:23 pm »
I have a small bathroom and went minimal. I'm single and don't need much storage. The usual stuff stored in a bathroom is rarely, if ever, used so it's stored in a clear plastic bin in the hall closet. Less clutter, more room.

4 months lead time is perfect, it gives you time to shop and order. People not familiar with construction are always surprised that almost everything has to be ordered, it has been that way since I started working on custom homes in 1975. It takes two trips to a showroom to order hardware, the first is to see what is available. What you like is always way above you wanted to pay so back home to look on the internet for a week. After a week online searching you go back to the showroom to buy what you liked in the first place. Then you find out it will take 8-16 weeks to arrive.

ALL the bathroom hardware has to be at your house when the plumber arrives. The layout for a pedestal sink is different than for a vanity. Shower plumbing depends on the valves and type of shower head. Older homes did not have a bathtub vent. You only get one chance to do it right so all the tub plumbing has to be re-done, i.e. big hole in the floor. All electrical needs a ground wire with GFI outlets.

My bathroom is a standard 9' x 5'. I'm not a tub guy so I opted for a walk in shower. In 10 years haven't missed the tub even once.

Click on photos for larger image

Original 1950's bathroom, the swan shower door and pink tile are classic. I bought the house "as is". The owner got real old and stopped cleaning, the tub looked toxic.

Your bathroom will look like this for a while

After - hardware is by Jado and Honsgrohe

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2022, 04:03 pm »
Aw, man -- this is a timely topic because I have two bathrooms that need to be redone, one of which is the original design from over 40 years ago. I want to rip out the tub and go with a shower only in one of the bathrooms. If I do it cheaply (i.e., Home Depot stuff, hire a local contractor, etc.), it will cost about $8 grand, especially if I focus more on functionality than aesthetics. Double that price to do it well (i.e., hire a company that specializes in bathroom remodels), and then double it again for the second bathroom. :o 

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2022, 10:52 pm »
If I do it cheaply (i.e., Home Depot stuff, hire a local contractor, etc.), it will cost about $8 grand.

I rented a house for 3 months before moving into my house. Everything in the rental was from Home Depot and looked pretty good, unless you had a practiced eye you would never know it was the cheap stuff. I question the durability but in a rental durability doesn't matter because tenants will destroy everything in 10 years no matter what you buy.

For 40 years I designed, built and installed custom entry doors in multi-million dollar custom homes (not McMansions) so I got to see all the high end stuff. After that I couldn't put Home Depot into my house. There must be bathroom fixtures between Home Depot and the high end, unfortunately I don't do remodels and am not familiar with what is available.

I got contractor pricing on everything through my wholesale accounts so I added up my fixtures, sink, shower door, and tile and it came to $2500 in 2013. The labor was included in the general contractor's bill for the entire house remodel so I have no idea what the bathroom labor cost.

One thing about high end fixtures is they last, I have had zero problems with the bathroom and kitchen fixtures, they work flawlessly and the brushed nickle finish is still perfect after 10 years.
The downside is the price. The Jado cross handle lav set retailed for $688, I paid $361. The pedestal sink is $420, I paid $250. The shower valves and trim was $751. The installed glass shower price was $995, it's probably double that now.

Look for a licensed contractor that gives breaks on material costs. I gave my customers 10% off retail price on the hardware I supplied, they were happy. Of course I got 25%-35% off retail price but it's still a win-win. All they had to do was point and say "I want that", I took care of all the details.

Showrooms will charge you retail, sometimes you can find fixtures online at contractor prices but it's up to you to order correctly and make sure all the parts are in the box when it arrives. A local supplier can get you that little doohickey that is missing, not so with Amazon.

RPM123

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2022, 05:07 pm »
Check out Strasser. My wife and I used their cabinets for our small bathroom (but expensive) remodel. Nice cabinets!

https://strasserwood.com/