Chainsaw Recommendations

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Chainsaw Recommendations
« on: 23 Jan 2022, 02:28 pm »
I'd like to get a small 16" gas powered chainsaw.  What do you guys have good experiences with?  Stihl?  Echo?  Husqvarna? 

I'm a bit hesitant to go Husqvarna after my previous blower experience.  Ultimately I had to rebuild it and tune it properly for it to work right.  I'd really like to have something that is right from the get-go. 

mikeeastman

Re: Chainsaw Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2022, 02:44 pm »
I just picked up a battery powered Makita 16” chainsaw and I’m amazed at how big of logs I can cut and how long the batteries last. Something you might want to look into.

Lagavulin16

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2022, 03:08 pm »
It's sunday, good day for the local swapmeet!
Have them run it right there on the spot, if it dont run, stop by homedepot on the way home.
Batt or Stile is the only way to go.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2022, 03:26 pm »
In my opinion this is a no brainer, the Stihl MS170 is tool to have. Mine has worked flawlessly for over a decade and has been called on to take on both simple tasks for which it’s designed and ones had no right doing such as helping cut a winters worth of lodge pole pines for my neighbors (no it’s not the perfect tool for that but given adequate time it’s doable).  I’ll never be without a MS170.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2022, 03:39 pm »
Stihl for sure. 

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2022, 04:41 pm »
Don't forget about the weight of the saw.  My son-in-law bought a Stihl which is just a PITA because it is so damn heavy compared to my Echo.  I have a Stihl backpack blower and the top of the line FS131 string trimmer and they are great.  However, so is my Echo chainsaw.  Been going strong for over 15 years!  My Echo will take 16" - 20" chain bars and it is 10.8 lbs.  The Stihl MS170 clocks in even lighter at 8.6 lbs. 

I find a 20" chain bar preferable to a 16" one.  However, to step up to a 20" bar in Stihl you have to go to the MS-271 Farm Boss which will set you back $430.  The Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf will take 18", 20" and 24" bars and will set you back $399 - $419.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2022, 05:57 pm »
I've had two Echos and two Huskies.  Huskies are Chinese now, and Echos are still Japanese.  Both will give good service.  I supplement my heat pump with a large wood stove, live in the country, and cut wood every year.  My next saw will probably be another Echo.  Using premixed fuel has been such an improvement over mixing your own with alcohol blend gas.  Not a fan of Stihl.  I used their weed eater until I got tired of cussing it and spending $ on it... bought an Echo. 

twitch54

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2022, 07:12 pm »
I've had two Echos and two Huskies.  Huskies are Chinese now, and Echos are still Japanese.  Both will give good service.  I supplement my heat pump with a large wood stove, live in the country, and cut wood every year.  My next saw will probably be another Echo.  Using premixed fuel has been such an improvement over mixing your own with alcohol blend gas.  Not a fan of Stihl.  I used their weed eater until I got tired of cussing it and spending $ on it... bought an Echo.

yep, unless you're a regular user go with the premixed fuel, no brainer IMO. As for saws, the best I ever owned was my old Pioneer, gave me thirty years of service. Cut so many cords of Beech wood I can't remember. My current Husqvarna, while it performs superbly, I am on my second carburetor. learned my lesson with ethanol laced gas  !

as for the big three, I would look into the best dealer in your area and go with what they sell

jd3

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2022, 10:06 pm »
I used to heat with wood exclusively for a lot of years and cut a *lot* of wood.   I have a Stihl 029 that’s almost 30 years old.  Still cuts great.  My father in law swears by Husqvarna and his saws cut faster, but he’s been through 3 saws in the last 20 years.  My Stihl just keeps going.  If I were in your situation I’d look at a battery powered Stihl.  No worry about ethanol gas ruining the fuel system.

ric

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2022, 02:30 pm »
I used to have a Husky but every season would need to take it in. Got an Echo, starts right up, works great!

Bemopti123

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2022, 02:55 pm »
It all depends of how much wood you would like to cut.  I purchased a 16" Stihl...  to cut 4 large trees, some with about 35" diameter trunk... 25-30' tall.  The Stihl did its work admirably.  Our had the easy start feature.  It requires oil and premixed gas.  It worked like a beast for 5-6 days straight.  I would recommend it....  I have read some reviews of the Echo saws.....  it seems people have terrible experience with them.   Electric/battery saws are okay for smaller jobs but for serious cutting, forget about it when to comes to large pieces of wood. 

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2022, 02:58 pm »
I'm very Happy with my Stihl Farm Boss. Starts with one or two pulls. I buy Alcohol free gas and mix my own.  Easy!

Reldvs1

« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2023, 09:26 am »
I got a generic brand 20v lithium mini chainsaw off of Amazon to help me take down some small tree branches.  I must say I was really impressed with mine.  It's maybe 8 inches or so but works really well for small jobs imo.

This was a post I needed to make 3 to be able to use trading post lol