This has gone to a new Level now,,,,,,

2bigears

This has gone to a new Level now,,,,,,
« on: 21 Feb 2019, 12:19 am »
  $$ 2000.00 dollar phone. Is Samsung stretching it or what. The folding screen ,  I think it's three sided,,
      Who the heck is going to buy this ,, wowwwww :popcorn:

Bemopti123

Re: This has gone to a new Level now,,,,,,
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2019, 12:26 am »
& people are poking fun at Apple and their 1K++++ phones.  Sticker shock here is comes. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2019, 02:14 am »
  $$ 2000.00 dollar phone. Is Samsung stretching it or what. The folding screen ,  I think it's three sided,,
      Who the heck is going to buy this ,, wowwwww :popcorn:

You're right, I could get a pair of really good interconnects for that price!  :lol:

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2019, 04:10 am »
You're right, I could get a pair of really good interconnects for that price!  :lol:

You guys think that's expensive? There are gold and diamond phones out there that are so much more expensive than that!!!

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2019, 05:03 am »

You guys think that's expensive? There are gold and diamond phones out there that are so much more expensive than that!!!

No, I was just poking a little fun that our hobby has $100k speakers and $10k interconnects, etc... and people here are shocked at a $2k phone. 

srb

Re: This has gone to a new Level now......
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2019, 05:24 am »
I'm not shocked at all.  Some people have a smartphone as their only computer - in that regard it's really no different than buying a super-nice high-end laptop or desktop.

There are other folding phones either on the market or soon to be released, but most of those are flexible plastic screens.  The Samsung Fold is a marvel of ultra-precision mechanical design, as its geared hinge somehow mates two glass screens together nearly flawlessly!

It would have been better if had been released with a $1500 price tag so it would only (!) be 50% more than a top of the line premium smartphone instead of double.

But this is an idea that's not going away and competition and consumer electronics evolution will trickle this concept down to more affordable phones.

Cost aside, it really does take the smartphone to the next level of usability.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2019, 12:03 pm »
We bought the most expensive Samsung and Apple phones a few years ago, and I thought they were ridiculously expensive back then.  However, we also keep our phones until they die (or can no longer be updated).

With these prices, though, and for what I use my phone for, I think my next phone will not be Samsung but will instead be Motorola or Nokia or another phone currently around the $250 mark.  I can't get an Apple, as I need a lot of memory, so I need the ability to add a card to the phone.  To get that in Apple increases the cost by hundreds of dollars, instead of the very cheap costs of the card.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2019, 01:21 pm »
No, I was just poking a little fun that our hobby has $100k speakers and $10k interconnects, etc... and people here are shocked at a $2k phone.
Yeah, I got it and that was funny.
 I didn't put the laughing face. Ironically, it was because I was typing it on a tiny smartphone keypad!

sts9fan

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2019, 03:45 pm »
I want one. The cord plugged in at the bottom is for the optional battery backpack. (just kidding)

Tyson

« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2019, 04:09 pm »
Yeah, I got it and that was funny.
 I didn't put the laughing face. Ironically, it was because I was typing it on a tiny smartphone keypad!

:thumb:

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2019, 04:20 pm »
I thought it was $2K. It's not, it's just $1980!!!

I'm going to sell my Ferrari and buy 3 or 4 of these guys so I'll always have a backup!  :green:

Gene

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2019, 07:24 pm »
Who ? People who can. That simple. No one forcing anyone. A computer in your hand. Just think if high priced items are a fault, why then is Gucci, Ferrari, Tiffany still around.
For the average Joe maybe a burden price wise however if managed properly a tax deduction for business purposes. Is it worth the price ? Yes and no.

charles