DVA 850 monoblocks get great review in Absolute Sound Issue 273

avahifi

Regarding upgrading 400R or 600R to current shipping version, not economical to do, nearly complete new board set and major rewiring. 

How to tell the newest design?  Remove cover.  If there is a large vertical circuit board with several heat fins between the horizontal main power supply board and the audio boards on left side of chassis, it is the older design.  All newer units have all regulators directly on audio boards.

We can’t hear any difference between RCAs and XLRs with DCA 850 amps as long as a high quality preamp is used too.  If your preamp actually has four independent channels (few do), then using XLR connections at both ends may have an advantage by canceling common mode distortion and noise. 

In any event a pair of DVA 850s provide awesome uncompressed sound.

Frank

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
One feature of AVA amps are speaker output fuses. By selecting an appropriate fuse amperage, the continuous power output can be matched to the maximum continuous power requirement to protect the speaker. Although not yet shown on the website, the following article has a photo showing the speaker output fuses on the back panel of the monoblock amplifier:  http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/power-amplifier/audio-van-alstine-dva-850-mono-block-amplifiers-review/

... From your development of the DVA 850, are there any "trickle down" upgrades in current production of your 600 and 400R amps?  I haven't the need and my speakers wouldn't tolerate 850 wpc.

Pryso

Thanks for commenting on my situation Tone Depth.  However, as I said I don't have the need for the power in the DVA 850 as well as my speakers not tolerating it.

Since Frank kindly replied with some detail, I will assume the sonics may be quite similar between the DVA 850 and the 400/600R other than headroom.

My speakers are not recommended for amps with greater than 250 watts into 8 ohms, so considering the cost differential between under $3K compared to more than $7K, that becomes an easy choice.

festuss

Why did the reviewer blow the fuses when he plugged the amps into his power conditioner?
For startrers using balanced AC line power in a residential environment is a VIOLATION of NEC.  used in commercial settings, everything is plainly LABELED, and equipment designed for such.   Consumer hi fi, is never designed for balanced AC line, you are putting one side to the Chassis, the reviewer at AS, is obviously clueless, oy vey.  there is no need for balanced power in a residential home hi fi! Companies selling Balanced power conditioners for residential use should be in jail!

festuss

Regarding upgrading 400R or 600R to current shipping version, not economical to do, nearly complete new board set and major rewiring. 

How to tell the newest design?  Remove cover.  If there is a large vertical circuit board with several heat fins between the horizontal main power supply board and the audio boards on left side of chassis, it is the older design.  All newer units have all regulators directly on audio boards.

We can’t hear any difference between RCAs and XLRs with DCA 850 amps as long as a high quality preamp is used too.  If your preamp actually has four independent channels (few do), then using XLR connections at both ends may have an advantage by canceling common mode distortion and noise. 

In any event a pair of DVA 850s provide awesome uncompressed sound.

Frank
Thanks for commenting on my situation Tone Depth.  However, as I said I don't have the need for the power in the DVA 850 as well as my speakers not tolerating it.

Since Frank kindly replied with some detail, I will assume the sonics may be quite similar between the DVA 850 and the 400/600R other than headroom.

My speakers are not recommended for amps with greater than 250 watts into 8 ohms, so considering the cost differential between under $3K compared to more than $7K, that becomes an easy choice.
More power ain't just louder, it's CONTROL, keeps teh woofers in control, everything opens up at teh same vol, with more power, not louder, just BETTER!

aln

More power!
« Reply #25 on: 26 Dec 2017, 01:21 am »
Still have all of those bridged amps or are you going to upgrade?  Love your system.

festuss

Still have all of those bridged amps or are you going to upgrade?  Love your system.
Me, I still have 4 P500 AVA Insight+ running around 1200W each driving my Whispers, AVA all the way hybrid phase inverter (2) AVA pre amps, hybrids, AVA, just keeps on giving, sonic bliss, and RELIABLE, not a burp! Years and years of usage, AVA DAC also older hybrid DAC SILENCE, you cannot hear a hint of hum, hiss nutin when sitting silent on very efficient Legacy Whispers! SILENCE, superb electronics. And when CRANKED  it's ALIVE!!

kjackson

how hot do the 850s run?

avahifi

Under any rational home audio system use the DVA 850s will run reasonably cool (you won't burn yourself on the heat sinks).

If you try to run full power continuously into your speakers, the amp will get hot, but most likely your speakers will melt first.

We have never had a big amp failure here caused by simply overheating the output circuits.  Did have one give up once caused by an oscillating preamplifier (not ours) driving very high level high frequency garbage into the amp and speakers continuously.  This got the amp so hot that the output devices were discolored and the output transistor sockets were charred black.  In spite of this, one amp channel survived the abuse.

AVA amplifiers are very rugged and are designed to last for years and years.

Frank

kjackson

My speakers are inefficient.The amp would likely output 50-100 watts continuously.
Considerably more on peaks.

avahifi

My 83 dB efficient speakers don't even get the amp warm at rational listening levels.

Your amplifier is normally putting out a lot less power than you would think.  Classical music played at usefully loud levels show average power at under 5 watts and peaks rarely above 50 watts here.

Don't worry about overheating the amp on music.  You won't.

Frank

SPEEDY1

Hi Frank. They must have given the review mentioned in the beginning of this thread to an in-experienced reviewer-shame.

Quote-Your ears, your windows, and your associated equipment will be ruined if you attempt this long-term.” Your windows? Well, I guess a bit of hyperbole is pardonable.

Obviously it has been awhile since you ran a few B&W-808 back when you dealt them (did you ever hear four side by side?) but this reviewer does not understand the acoustic power capable of 2 or 4, 808 or likeminded speakers. A frame house and its furnishings can be shaken not stirred.

How do these monos compare to Bryston 7 sst and even a 14 sst or two and the 28 sst but nothing past the sst series because I think the S ST series ran more Class A and the squared/cubed do not run as much Class A ( I may be wrong) possibly for electrical cost/heat concerns.

Also will you bring out an electronic type infinite volume control  required for high powered amps feeding large revealing very efficent speakers? I found this the only easy way to fine tune the sound wave/ spl/ throw. At least it is what I found seeing as every recorded performance varies in loudness and the frequencies put out into the sound space.

Everything varies so much in a recorded performance that an almost infinitely fine volume control very much alters the sound level and the frequencies... I am talking about 7-8 foot nearfield very low SPL level so as not to interfere much with the listening space.

In my experience using a lot of cone drivers-only huge power allows for a very revealing very low spl level.

PS-we'll be downsizing soon enough and likely will stack some quads with something like a bunch of RTR electrostatics if I can only find a source.......Hopefully this will do me till I die.

smokey

FRANK, I have your 600R, with the XLR  inputs, is there a diff. with the DVA 850 , IN depth  of the soundstage, I am looking
 for that 3D sound with separation with a clean clear but not to in your face presentation, speakers are SALK soundscape 8
I was thinking about going tube all the way, I have a CARY tube preamp  SLP-05, thinking going to tube mono amps, how
 would  the DVA 850 monos . compare to a all tube mono amps about 300 wps, what are your thoughts  :scratch:

I.Greyhound Fan

Wow Smokey, I find the 600R to give the presentation you are looking for. Maybe it is system synergy.  I auditioned it and wrote a review. Also a couple of my local friends have them.  I heard the 850's at Franks and they do sound different than the R series amps.  I found them effortless, smooth but detailed with a hint of warmth.  They are transparent and I did not find them forward sounding.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Here you go:

I haven't had a AVA amp in my system in a while......I'm seriously considering a pair of the DVA 850's.

Ric