LITE Audio?

CrazyBlue

LITE Audio?
« on: 9 Feb 2013, 06:08 pm »
Hi all,

I keep running across LITE Audio, and GR seems to have or have had some affiliation with these products.  Or am I way off-base here?  Did a search, but mostly got info on their DAC's and not really what they're about or if they're worth a darn.

Can somebody give me the scoop?  I'm interested in a tube or tube/hybrid preamp, and LITE seems to offer good value from what I've read so far, citing clones of classic circuits built using quality parts. 

So what sayeth those in the know?  Are these things the real deal?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: LITE Audio?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2013, 06:15 pm »
I have one of the Lite Audio DAC60's that Danny sold.  It was a very good improvement over the stock DAC60 I also have.  I do not think they are still available unless you find a used one.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2013, 06:22 pm »
They were a real giant killer of a DAC design. So I brought in a bunch of them for my customers. I also had a mod package done through Sonic Craft that upgraded some of the parts and took them up several levels.

See info here: http://gr-research.com/dac-60.aspx  Once I sold the batch that I brought in I didn't re-order any more of them.

I still have one over at Sonic Craft that is super tricked out with everything you can think of. I think I put about $1,200 into it in just the upgrades. I'd let it go for that much if you are interested.

It is a really nice DAC.

CrazyBlue

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2013, 06:34 pm »
Cool, thanks for the quick response, guys.

But I'm looking at preamps.  Do their pres share that giant killer quality?  I want to try a tube or hybrid pre at a sane price.

AKLegal

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2013, 09:26 pm »
I'd say take a leap of faith and try it out.  I own and absolutely love my Lite Audio CD 22 cd player.  Lite has been making quality stuff for quite some time.  When it comes to the Chinese brands I don't think you can go wrong with Lite or Audio GD.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2013, 10:00 pm »
Cool, thanks for the quick response, guys.

But I'm looking at preamps.  Do their pres share that giant killer quality?  I want to try a tube or hybrid pre at a sane price.

Give Dodd Audio a call. Gary has some of the best tube pre-amps and tube buffers in the industry and they are very reasonable. He even has a buffer kit that was being sold for $300 at one time.

CrazyBlue

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2013, 11:28 pm »
Heard good things about Dodd.  I'll check 'em out.  Budget is $1k (actually more like $750, but I can sell my Emotiva pre for maybe $250).

Was looking at this beast:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-lite-audio-2-chassis-preamp-jadis-jp-200-clone-2013-01-20-preamplifiers-54476-schofield-wi

Never seen a dual mono pre before.  Heck, I might not even have enough outlets left.

Any other suggestions for a used high-quality tube(ish) pre for <$1k?

I'll post that question in a more general circle, and appreciate you guys taking the time to answer non-GR questions. 
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2013, 08:21 pm by CrazyBlue »

cujobob

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2013, 12:58 am »
I loved my Mapletree Audio Line 2A. The Grounded Grid preamp was really well respected when I was more up to date with my knowledge-base haha... there are a number of great preamps available in your price-range.

Oh and the modified DAC 60 sounds great, not that it matters at this point.

fishboat

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2013, 05:48 pm »

Any other suggestions for a used high-quality tube(ish) pre for >$1k?

I assume you meant < (less than) $1K.  I've run a TAD150 Signature (TAD= Tube Audio Design) in the past and have liked it a lot.  The guy that built them (in Chicago) passed away recently at the not so ripe age of 48 (I believe).  Very sad..nice guy. I talked with a couple times.  New 150's haven't been available for a few years, but there are used ones out there. Certainly worth some research.   It responds well to tube rolling.  I think I ended up with Amprex orange globes in mine.   There are TAD150's and TAD150 Signatures where Paul did some upgrades.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2013, 07:11 pm »
I like my Dodd alot.  It sounds great.  I'm glad I bought it new.  Gary customed the front face to meet my wifes needs, he spent alot of time on me as well and allowed me to hondle on the price.  Gary bends over backwards to support his customers. He might have some spare parts laying around.  He is very flexible.  I would give hime a call. 

Looks good too.

CrazyBlue

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2013, 10:59 pm »
Man, that's purty.

CrazyBlue

« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2013, 11:03 pm »
Just bought a used AVA Ultra DAC from another member.  When I get it in the house and see how I like it, I'll probably just save some more clams and get a Transcendence Eight. 

But damn, that Dodd makes me drool, looking at it.  I'm sort of a rosewood freak...

About twice my price range though.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2013, 12:01 am »
Here is a picture of my two Dodd Audio Buffers with wood remote controls.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2013, 02:34 am »
It's cocobolo and the remote matches it.  But that is just the sizzle.  The steak is how it sounds so incredibly good.