New Argos in the house

roboss38

New Argos in the house
« on: 21 Sep 2014, 04:25 pm »
My new Argos speakers arrived on Thursday. I was able to get everything unboxed on Friday, and setup. Speakers still need the outriggers which should be here in the next couple weeks, and I'm still working on optimal placement. They sound great out of the box, and I'm sure they'll only get better as I put more hours on them. My ARC Ref 5Se, Stereo 100, and Modwright 105 really like them. Room treatments are next. A big thank you to Lou for make such a great and beautiful product.

Nick77

Re: New Argos in the house
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2014, 04:37 pm »
Wow those look great! I would try giving those a little more breathing room in the rear and maybe a slight toe in.  :wink:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2014, 04:48 pm »
Glad you like them, and yes they will improve radically in the next couple of months!

I would if possible bring them out from the front wall 6-12" more and also bring out the rack a couple inches and place a panel behind the rack against the wall (slight stand off from the wall like 1" or so)

As for toe in, you are probably fine, the version.2 need less toe in and hence get a larger stage. 

I know it sounds odd but if you could rig up a curtain or covering for the screen that you could use when the video is not in use that would open the stage and clean up the sound. If you are creative it will likely look better than a black screen as well  :)

thanks,
lou

ricardojoa

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2014, 06:17 pm »
Glad you like them, and yes they will improve radically in the next couple of months!

I would if possible bring them out from the front wall 6-12" more and also bring out the rack a couple inches and place a panel behind the rack against the wall (slight stand off from the wall like 1" or so)

As for toe in, you are probably fine, the version.2 need less toe in and hence get a larger stage. 

I know it sounds odd but if you could rig up a curtain or covering for the screen that you could use when the video is not in use that would open the stage and clean up the sound. If you are creative it will likely look better than a black screen as well  :)

thanks,
lou

That does sounds odd. Im guessing that by covering the screen will reduce second reflection of sound waves from the back wall?

Wig

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:12 pm »
robboss38,

My experience with speaker/rack placement is spot-on with Lou; I've noticed a dramatic difference with the rack at least 20" from the front wall and generally speaking, the speakers are more open at least 37" from the front wall measuring from the back of the speakers.

Give them time to break-in and figure out placement before adding the outriggers. Have fun...

The speakers are Gorgeous!

Wig :thumb:

Wig

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:57 pm »
Lou,

Would D'Apolito MTM configuration make a difference with your loudspeakers?

Thanks,
Wig

roboss38

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2014, 03:54 pm »
I've moved the speakers about 8 inches farther from the back wall. I wish I could move the rack farther out from the back wall, but this is our living room area and my wife is being very tolerant as it is. I do cover the TV when I'm doing any critical listening, and everyone is correct that it does help. The lamp has been moved, and I have two 3x4 foot canvas painting that are going to be hung on either side of the TV to provide some treatment to the back wall. I'm doing what I can in a space that is used by the entire family. Like I said earlier, my wife is being quite the trooper with all this. She hates the stereo rack, so that might have to be replaced with something more visually appealing. It's a work in progress.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2014, 04:46 pm »
Very nice speakers!

I can not tell from the photograph, is the distance from the left speaker to the side wall shorter, compared to the right speaker to side wall distance?

roboss38

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2014, 05:28 pm »
Very nice speakers!

I can not tell from the photograph, is the distance from the left speaker to the side wall shorter, compared to the right speaker to side wall distance?

It must be the angle of the picture, because each speakers is about the same distance to each side wall.

Wig

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2014, 05:55 pm »
I've moved the speakers about 8 inches farther from the back wall. I wish I could move the rack farther out from the back wall, but this is our living room area and my wife is being very tolerant as it is. I do cover the TV when I'm doing any critical listening, and everyone is correct that it does help. The lamp has been moved, and I have two 3x4 foot canvas painting that are going to be hung on either side of the TV to provide some treatment to the back wall. I'm doing what I can in a space that is used by the entire family. Like I said earlier, my wife is being quite the trooper with all this. She hates the stereo rack, so that might have to be replaced with something more visually appealing. It's a work in progress.

I know exactly what you mean and after 20+ years of marriage, my wife has allowed me to infringe my Audiophile equipment in our living space! She likes it's my only hobby and it keeps me at home...  :thumb:

Wig

jriggy

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2014, 08:21 pm »
Great speakers roboss! The Argos might now be my favorite Daedalus speaker 8)

It must be the angle of the picture, because each speakers is about the same distance to each side wall.
Make sure that side wall distance is exactly the same for each side. It will help any soundstage imbalance there may be. Even an inch or two can cause this. Although, if there is an opening on one side and not the other, this may not matter as much, as there will be issue there too --that you might not be able to fix and keep the wife happy...

If you end up wanting or needing to go with a different rack, go lower. I have a rack like yours but it is the two-shelf super-wide. Still has space for 6 components... Just a though, as it does improve imaging some.

And a terminology correction, for future conversation and possible confusion: Most call the wall behind the speakers the "front wall"

Wig,
The Ulysses have a MTTM driver configuration.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2014, 01:40 am »
Actually I would disagree on the exact measurements for each side. It really does vary from room to room and if the room shape or construction is asymmetrical then throw the tape away. Trust your ears Luke.....

I did one show in London and the room looked symmetrical but we could not get it to balance until we moved the speakers to different positions, turns out one wall was concrete and the other was drywall. 
Alcoves, openings etc can play havoc on balance and make it very difficult to balance by measurement,... it can work but it may not.

Also you might look into a panel behind the rack, I find that often helps the stage and doesn't add visual 'weight'.

thanks,
lou

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2014, 02:04 am »
Alcoves, openings etc can play havoc on balance and make it very difficult to balance by measurement,... it can work but it may not.

thanks,
lou
However, using actual in room measurements does work and is truly the best way to setup any system.   ;)

jriggy

« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2014, 01:34 pm »
Actually I would disagree on the exact measurements for each side. It really does vary from room to room and if the room shape or construction is asymmetrical then throw the tape away. Trust your ears Luke.....

I did one show in London and the room looked symmetrical but we could not get it to balance until we moved the speakers to different positions, turns out one wall was concrete and the other was drywall. 

Funny... An hour or so after posting, I was thinking about it and thought someone is going to disagree... Lou is right though. And I actually had to go through a similar issue, with my two side walls being of different materials. But it made it much easier once I set everything up with symmetrical math first, then 'fudged it' by ear. 

Best of luck!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2014, 03:38 pm »
Funny... An hour or so after posting, I was thinking about it and thought someone is going to disagree... Lou is right though. And I actually had to go through a similar issue, with my two side walls being of different materials. But it made it much easier once I set everything up with symmetrical math first, then 'fudged it' by ear. 

Best of luck!
Exactly! :thumb:

roboss38

« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2014, 08:26 pm »
Thank you to everyone for the valuable advice. I need to move them out from the front wall about another 3 to 5 inches, and then adjust each relative to the side walls. Again, thank you to everyone. I'm glad to be in the Daedalus Audio speaker family. 

cheech

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jul 2015, 12:20 pm »
Spoke to Lou yesterday and went ahead and ordered the Argos. They will be a retirement present to myself and replace JM Reynaud Offrande Supreme V2s which I will move into my 2nd system. Argos will be driven by  predominately Modwright front end - LS100 pre (NOS rectifier & Black Treasure CV181s), KWA100SE amp, Elyse DAC (NOS rectifier & 6922s); Stello CD transport, WADIA 171i & IPOD Claasic.

Lou was very easy to talk to, no push to sell, and obviously knowledgeable - no surprise to any of you.

cheech

« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2015, 08:57 pm »
Received my Argos V2 today. Lou is an oustanding craftsman, absolutely beautiful workmanship on the walnut cabinets; and realizing that the speakers need to be broken in they sound great right out of the box so can't wait to listen once they have. Feel like a kid in the candy shop, though far removed age wise. Thanks Lou for sharing your remarkable talents , musically and esthetically!

Drving them with Modwright front end of LS100 preamp, KWA 100SE power amp, Elyse DAC; interconnects are Silnote Audio Orion and Posideon , digital cable Silnote Audio Posideon 2, speaker cables Clear Day Cables, power cords combination of Silnote Audio and Audio Art Cable.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2015, 11:22 pm »
Congratulations, Cheech!

I've had the pleasure of hearing Aldcol's Pans, so I have an idea of what you must be experiencing now.

Enjoy!

Michael
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2015, 08:54 am by mresseguie »

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2015, 08:57 pm »
congratulations Cheech

enjoy your music collection all over again

please post some photos of your speakers in your room when you can break away from listening