What tubes do you plan to use in your DHT?

Terence T.

Re: What tubes do you plan to use in your DHT?
« Reply #220 on: 22 Nov 2018, 06:29 pm »
The TAKs are pretty pricey: $2500 retail, but Parts Connexion has them for $1600 . . . so, they are approx. $600 more than the KR PX-4s . . . which caused me to hesitate for many months before finally taking the plunge for the TAKs. I had seen so many positive online comments about the TAKs that I figured they must be good tubes, but I was put off by the price . . . and the uncertainty as to whether they would be a good match for the LIO. Once Vinnie gave them his "seal of approval" I decided to give them a try. Now, having heard them, I think I would pay full retail for a pair (if I had to) because I wouldn't want to "settle" for something else. The KR PX-4s are good tubes, and work well in the LIO, but the TAKs take it up to another level IMO.

Hi Timbana,

After reading your shoot-off comments between the Takatsuki TA-300Bs and KR PX4s, I was convinced that I had to get my hands on the TAKs instead of the KR PX4s for my LIO DHT. I was blown away by the initial listening with the TAKs onboard, there was this magic about the Japanese made tubes which made the imaginary 3D soundstage infront so real and lively. I sweared I could hear improved details of the individual voices and instruments at least in my LIO DHT system and in my room. Thanks to Timbaba for sharing with us your impressions of the Takatsuki TA-300Bs and yes, I would also pay in full retail price for a pair if I had to.

Also thanks to Vinnie for your advice on setting the 3 switches on the LIO DHT in your email reply.

Finally, wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving Day....

Terence

olegausany

« Reply #221 on: 24 Nov 2018, 01:13 am »
Thanks to Vinnie I got another chance to try Svetlana SV810 tubes with my LIO and now can definitely say that they are improvement over the 2A3. Especially for those who can't spend arm and leg for more expensive tubes and want deeper bass with more body should really consider SV810. Be aware that I'm using highly modified HD800 instead of speakers so your mileage would be completely different. I also heard TAK300B with the new L2 system and they definitely had a great sound with Harberth 40.2s and P3ESR at NYAS2018

Timbana

« Reply #222 on: 27 Nov 2018, 02:08 am »
Hi Timbana,

After reading your shoot-off comments between the Takatsuki TA-300Bs and KR PX4s, I was convinced that I had to get my hands on the TAKs instead of the KR PX4s for my LIO DHT. I was blown away by the initial listening with the TAKs onboard, there was this magic about the Japanese made tubes which made the imaginary 3D soundstage infront so real and lively. I sweared I could hear improved details of the individual voices and instruments at least in my LIO DHT system and in my room. Thanks to Timbaba for sharing with us your impressions of the Takatsuki TA-300Bs and yes, I would also pay in full retail price for a pair if I had to.

Also thanks to Vinnie for your advice on setting the 3 switches on the LIO DHT in your email reply.

Finally, wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving Day....

Terence

Hi Terence,

I'm glad my post was helpful and that you're enjoying the TAKs

Charlie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #223 on: 27 Nov 2018, 05:16 pm »
Hi Terence and Timbana,

The TAK TA300Bs really are something special (I love them in the LIO DHT PRE, and in the L2 Signature Preamplifier).  :drool:
Glad you both are also enjoying them.

Hi olegausany,

The SV811-10 has more bass and "thicker" midrange, and more relaxed top end.  With certain speakers and headphones, they
have a nice synergy.  I can see how they are a good match with the HD800 headphones.

---

Regarding the ELROG 300B, they are currently with an L2 Preamp that out for review (also has the stock EH300B Gold Grid).  From the time I had with them in the L2 and LIO DHT PRE, they seemed to have a sound signature that resembled a mix of the KR PX-4 and SV811-10.  Keep in mind that I did not have much more than 25 hours of burn-in on them.  So I'll have to wait a bit until I get them back before I spend more time with them, but there were sounding very nice!

Vinnie

darkstar_xiii

« Reply #224 on: 12 Jan 2019, 04:46 pm »
Did anyone get in on the Western Electric 300B preorder? I'll be curious to see how these compare to the Takatsuki 300Bs.

decur

« Reply #225 on: 12 Jan 2019, 05:18 pm »
I have heard the “original” w.e. 300b’s and it’s midrange is in a class of its own!
I’m very interested in getting a pair of these for my L2 pre amp.
I’m waiting to hear feedback of this new production run before I buy.
FYI,the chineese clones out there sound nothing like the originals

CCJ

« Reply #226 on: 12 Jan 2019, 09:41 pm »
I, too pre-ordered the new WE 300b. I have not made the plunge for the TAK, but have the KR balloon and Elrog and keen to compare them with the WE in my LIO-DHT

Vinnie R.

« Reply #227 on: 13 Jan 2019, 07:11 pm »
I, too pre-ordered the new WE 300b. I have not made the plunge for the TAK, but have the KR balloon and Elrog and keen to compare them with the WE in my LIO-DHT

Hi CCJ,

Keep us posted when you try the new WE300B with your LIO DHT PRE.  Thanks!

I have heard the “original” w.e. 300b’s and it’s midrange is in a class of its own!
I’m very interested in getting a pair of these for my L2 pre amp.
I’m waiting to hear feedback of this new production run before I buy.
FYI,the chineese clones out there sound nothing like the originals

Hi decur,

I'm also interested in hearing them.  I believe they are $1500/pair?  This is right around what
Parts Connexion charges for a new pair of the TAK TA300B, so it will be interesting to see which one
comes out on top (if any)?

Vinnie

jriggy

« Reply #228 on: 21 Feb 2019, 06:14 pm »
Looks like Best 300b has teamed up to make a new limited version of the KR PX-4 (and a 300b).
 The Riccardo Kron Limited Series:
https://best300b-com.myshopify.com/collections/riccardo-kron-limited-series

I wonder how they compar to the standard PX-4. Thicker glass is one improvement.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #229 on: 21 Feb 2019, 06:28 pm »
For sourcing Takatsuki 300B email: audio@amtrans.co.jp

The exchange rate is really good now.  I think $1200 pair recently.

For those who are interested David Beetles at Hammertone Audio purchased 6 tubes on my recommendations.  Maybe 50 hours on them max.  He did not like them over the standard Kron 300b.   Willing to sell.

I love the Kron.  I am on the sidelines re the WE re-issue until others have heard them.  Rare earth tube pricing for me is a risk.

My system used to have 12 x 300b in play!  Now down to 4 in my preamp, since I sold my amps.  Match quad--I seek out a match 6 for backup.  WE upcharge for matching is significant, more so for multiple sets.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #230 on: 22 Feb 2019, 07:18 pm »
Looks like Best 300b has teamed up to make a new limited version of the KR PX-4 (and a 300b).
 The Riccardo Kron Limited Series:
https://best300b-com.myshopify.com/collections/riccardo-kron-limited-series

I wonder how they compar to the standard PX-4. Thicker glass is one improvement.

Hi jriggy,

If you want a KR PX-4 with a bit more top-end extension, and thicker glass (less microphonic), then check out the KR T-100.
It runs on the 5V setting and has the KR PX-4 bass and midrange, but more top-end detail and decay. 

AC member "decur" is now using them in his L2 Preamplifier (he had the KR PX-4 previously) and they have become his favorite.
They might be yours as well  :idea:  :singing:

I have not tried the Riccardo Kron limited series or the new Western Electric WE-300B yet. 

Hi ketcham,

Thanks for the info.  $1200/pair for new Takatsuki TA-300B is amazing! 

- Vinnie

mcanaday

« Reply #231 on: 28 Feb 2019, 09:10 pm »
Well, I took the plunge too.  I've only got about ten hours on my Takatsuki TA -300bs now.  But still- WOW.  I am hearing more detail, more immediacy, more presence,  and experiencing more, well, emotional connection to the music.

I'm admiring the L2 from afar (it's gorgeous!), but still very, very happy with my LIO.  Consider it the best audio purchase I ever made.  And with these tubes, it's a whole other level.

Thanks again, Vinnie!

Margot

Vinnie R.

« Reply #232 on: 1 Mar 2019, 09:41 pm »
Well, I took the plunge too.  I've only got about ten hours on my Takatsuki TA -300bs now.  But still- WOW.  I am hearing more detail, more immediacy, more presence,  and experiencing more, well, emotional connection to the music.

Hi Margot,

I'm happy to see that you are loving your TAK TA-300B's!  They are incredibly good and should last many years in the DHT PRE circuit.

I'm admiring the L2 from afar (it's gorgeous!), but still very, very happy with my LIO.  Consider it the best audio purchase I ever made.  And with these tubes, it's a whole other level.

Awesome - and thank you! 

In a few months I'll be posting about something "L2 related" that I believe will tempt many LIO customers!  :shh: :wink:

Thanks again!

Vinnie

decur

« Reply #233 on: 9 Mar 2019, 01:21 pm »
Hi jriggy,

If you want a KR PX-4 with a bit more top-end extension, and thicker glass (less microphonic), then check out the KR T-100.
It runs on the 5V setting and has the KR PX-4 bass and midrange, but more top-end detail and decay. 

AC member "decur" is now using them in his L2 Preamplifier (he had the KR PX-4 previously) and they have become his favorite.
They might be yours as well  :idea:  :singing:

I have not tried the Riccardo Kron limited series or the new Western Electric WE-300B yet. 

Hi ketcham,

- Vinnie

decur

« Reply #234 on: 9 Mar 2019, 01:28 pm »
Yes,the kr t100 is trulY an upgraded px4,exact same sound signature,same great mids,bass,highs,but more refined,better top end,and MUCH quieter,dead dead dead silent,with no microphonics at all.
They work very well in the L2 preamp circuit.
I highly recommend,especially if you like the kr px4 sound.....

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
Quotable comments for 6moons review request
« Reply #235 on: 17 Mar 2019, 05:04 pm »
Hiya.

Working up my review on Vinnie's L2 DHT linestage, I would like to invite those who already have theirs to share their experiences relative to tube brand and tube type rolling. I'm only listening to the stock ElectroHarmonix GOld 300B and Vinnie's personal pair of Takatsuki 300B. I'd like to provide our readers with additional data points since that's part of the appeal of this component.

So... if you'd like to become part of my review by contributing some sonic observations on what your various tubes do by comparison (also list the rest of your system), have at it. I'll check here or you can email me directly at 6moons. Your comments will list by either your handle or your real name, whatever you decide to provide.

Cheers. :popcorn:

WG

« Reply #236 on: 8 Apr 2019, 04:14 pm »
Hi jriggy,

Hi ketcham,

- Vinnie

I emailed the address, audio@amtrans.co.jp, inquiring on current pricing and warranty.  I received a reply that their USA dealer is Jack Wu, at Woo Audio.  Jack Wu also emailed me that they will have new tube stock in about 3 days.  The Warranty is 1 year and shipping is free.  The website link indicates $1995 for matched pair. 

SteveKi

« Reply #237 on: 11 May 2019, 12:16 pm »
Quote from: Vinnie
In a few months I'll be posting about something "L2 related" that I believe will tempt many LIO customers!  :shh: :wink:
Thanks again!
Vinnie

Any update for us LIO customers?   :D
Steve

Vinnie R.

« Reply #238 on: 11 May 2019, 03:33 pm »
Hi Steve,

I am not ready to officially post about it yet (still working on the details and pricing), but everyone is welcome
to email me for 'preliminary' information.

Thanks,

Vinnie

Terence T.

« Reply #239 on: 30 Jun 2019, 09:32 am »
Any LIO DHT PRE owner here has a matched pair of the new Western Electric 300Bs from Rossville? Care to post your opinions on their sonic qualities in the LIO DHT PRE?  :drool: