Amp recommendations for Alnico monitors & hearing loss

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Amp recommendations for Alnico monitors & hearing loss
« Reply #20 on: 4 Mar 2019, 06:31 pm »
I just got Widex hearing aids last Oct and it has made a difference in being able to hear conversations. I was worried that it would be a negative to my music listening, but it has actually helped.

S Clark,

I would like to hear more about what you did to improve the performance of your hearing aids.
When comparing the latest Widex to the latest Resound, I like the tonality of the Widex, but compared to the Resound, the sound field is shallow, not as broad, and instrument placement is much less exact.  The Widex rep changed the unit to a smaller speaker-receiver and smaller split cups.  That helped immensely.  Resound initially needed reprogramming their spatial characteristics, as they also sounded like all the instruments were coming from the center of the sonic image.  After a couple of trials, with changes by my provider, and a few recommended by the Resound N.America office, they really have improved.  I've got a couple more days to compare before making a $6500 decision... but so far the Resound is the best option. 
An interesting side note-  The Resound demo unit crashed during the trial, and although the new unit was programmed exactly like the original, when I took it home and began to listen it sounded like crap.  Wore it for a few days before coming back to music and the sound was much improved...  Even hearing aids need break in. 
Also, with the Widex I'd have to buy a new phone, since all the features are controlled with an iPhone, and I've got a Samsung. 

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #21 on: 4 Mar 2019, 06:38 pm »
Which ReSound are you trying?  Quattro?  They are top on my list so far for my three year replacement in a few months.  Costco should have a version before the end of the year at half that price or less. 

slefley

« Reply #22 on: 4 Mar 2019, 06:44 pm »
Thanks to all for your responses.  While this thread took a left turn from where I started (aids vs amps) it's probably time I addressed my hearing and not the system.  Steve

S Clark

« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2019, 06:46 pm »
Which ReSound are you trying?  Quattro?  They are top on my list so far for my three year replacement in a few months.  Costco should have a version before the end of the year at half that price or less.
Yes, the Quatro.  I have read that the CostCo unit is not exactly the same... but it sure is cheaper.  If you decide to buy a pair, let me know.  I'll PM you the contact info for my provider.  ReSound might be willing to share with CostCo some of the modifications they did with my unit. 

S Clark

« Reply #24 on: 4 Mar 2019, 06:50 pm »
... it's probably time I addressed my hearing and not the system.  Steve
Usually by the time we decide to address it, it's overdue. It certainly was in my case.

pstrisik

« Reply #25 on: 4 Mar 2019, 07:04 pm »
Yes, the Quatro.  I have read that the CostCo unit is not exactly the same... but it sure is cheaper.  If you decide to buy a pair, let me know.  I'll PM you the contact info for my provider.  ReSound might be willing to share with CostCo some of the modifications they did with my unit.

Are you reading about a Costco version that will be coming?  I don't think they have it yet.

Typically, the difference is in some advanced feature.  For example, one higher end model, my Rexton Trax 42, from a couple of years ago was reportedly the same in Costco as the Siemens bx5 or bx7 (can't recall which) in private clinics only with the omission of the tinnitus masker.

I would be very interested in access, even if indirect, to the programming info.  You can PM me.  Either a contact or I can provide the guy's email that I work with here (after checking with him).

Thanks.......Pete

pstrisik

« Reply #26 on: 4 Mar 2019, 07:06 pm »
Thanks to all for your responses.  While this thread took a left turn from where I started (aids vs amps) it's probably time I addressed my hearing and not the system.  Steve

That turn was bound to happen sometime.  I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of serious audiophiles are over 50 and have some loss.  :(

S Clark

« Reply #27 on: 4 Mar 2019, 07:11 pm »
"Are you reading about a Costco version that will be coming?  I don't think they have it yet."
No, I just read somethiing about Costco units are not serviceable in the same way as private provider units.  Don't remember exactly where that came from, but I'll try to verify it. 

pstrisik

« Reply #28 on: 4 Mar 2019, 09:14 pm »
"Are you reading about a Costco version that will be coming?  I don't think they have it yet."
No, I just read somethiing about Costco units are not serviceable in the same way as private provider units.  Don't remember exactly where that came from, but I'll try to verify it.

It may be that they are "locked" so no one else can do adjustments.  That's just a wild guess though.  It may also be that private providers don't want to deal with them since they are taking so much business.  I recently read more than 10% of the US market so far.

BRN

« Reply #29 on: 4 Mar 2019, 09:37 pm »

slefley,

Sorry about the turn this thread took.

On point to what you were asking. I don’t have Omega speaks, but run a single driver design and have used the Decware Zen kit and found it very musical. It did not have the exstention on the low and high end that some other amps I have used, but it sounds very good. I’m using a First Watt M2 clone and VTA SP14 that I built and it is the best my system has sounded. The combination of tubes and solid state works. The M2 uses an interstage transformer which probably has a lot to do with how the amp sounds. The SP14 is a good match with M2, since the amp is an easy load at 100k input impedance and only 15db of gain.

slefley

« Reply #30 on: 4 Mar 2019, 10:09 pm »
Thanks for the amp info, and no worries on the left turn - this was the nudge I needed to address my hearing.  I really love the Omega/Decware combo.  I had a Dennis Had Inspire which I foolishly sold during my 'retirement/downsizing' phase - I miss the flexibility of different tube combinations to shape the sound.  I think I've lost some brain cells along with my hearing because I also sold my Quads!! 

nature boy

« Reply #31 on: 4 Mar 2019, 10:39 pm »
If you want a little tube rolling, try the Sophia Electric Aqua 274b tube in rectifier position. You'll be mighty impressed with the resulting sound from your little Zen.

NB

OzarkTom

« Reply #32 on: 5 Mar 2019, 12:27 am »
What are the frequency ranges of your hearing aids? Many only goes to 8K at the most. That will tell you why you cannot hear higher frequencies. Headphones are now the #1 cause of hearing loss in the younger crowd. Playing them just too way loud.

S Clark

« Reply #33 on: 5 Mar 2019, 03:24 am »
Widex claims up to 10K, which is past what I can hear regardless of amplification.