XBR960: A truly AMAZING ISF experience!

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« on: 21 Jul 2005, 03:55 pm »
I’m truly speechless today after my ISF calibration experience yesterday at the expert hands of one Chad Billheimer.

http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/

That’s Chad’s home web page that details who he is and what kind of services he offers. I can’t implore anyone even remotely in, or near the Midwest, to check this site out AT ONCE!

As best I understand it, Chad will go as far east as Virginia and has been known to go as far as Indiana and Michigan, but I’d certainly let him speak for himself on that matter. Ohio is his home state and his base of operation from which he reaches out.  

Let me describe for you all, without getting bogged down in technicalities, what kind of a jaw dropping experience that Chad’s work and dedication were for my ISF calibration.

Chad and I have been exchanging emails occasionally for the last two months, after I had taken delivery of my Sony KD-34XBR960. I was feeling him out, asking him some questions, and laying down the eventual groundwork, as Chad quickly was at the top of my list for ISF calibrators available in my region.

Finally, I went to his website and put it in concrete this past Monday, July 21. Two days later, he’s at my house by 12:30 pm, even though the appointment wasn’t until 1 p.m. ;) The first words out of my mouth after greetings were: “Have you had lunch yet? If not, I’d be more than happy to make you some.” He expressed some interest in lunch but he wanted to see what the job was going to look like. Lunch never happened for Chad, despite my occasional entreaties. He simply refused to be interrupted or de-railed, even though he “allowed” me to provide him with a couple of Mountain Dews. ;)  

The first thing Chad did for me is he saw that some adjustment of my TV’s magnets would need to be done to fix some of the geometry and convergences issued that I had. So, off came the back of the set and two hours’ worth of very meticulous adjustments took place. There was a thirty minute interruption when Chad and I had to bomb out to Radio Shack to get us a supply of very strong, double sided, foam adhesive tape for these magnets. To make a long story short on this count, Chad was arguably even pickier than I was about getting all of those lines perfectly fixed. When we were both satisfied and put the TV back together and returned it to its original position, there already was a shocking, night and day difference in terms of improvement with my geometry and convergence. Keep in mind; he hadn’t even begun on the actual ISF work yet!

So, surely after this Chad would want something to eat or possibly a bathroom break, right? WRONG!

He jumped right in to the ISF calibration. For the next three hours, until he “allowed” me to order us some pizzas, which he finally took a break for at 6:30 pm, after NONSTOP work…Chad was at my house until 10 pm.

Let me explain to you the kind of work he did. If you go to the main ISF webpage: http://www.imagingscience.com/

Or even just to Chad’s website: www.hdtvbychad.com , you’ll quickly get a feel of exactly what goes into an ISF calibration and what it is supposed to cost in very specific terms.

Chad took my TV and ISF calibrated BOTH component inputs, the cable input, the OTA antenna input, and the HDMI input. He did ALL scan rates, ALL resolutions, ALL EVERYTHING. Up and down. ALL OF IT! Grayscale, chroma, gamma, colors, overscan, geometry, convergence, EVERYTHING you can possibly imagine, Chad simply refused to leave any stone unturned!

I’ve never seen anything like it. I’ve never seen a person SO dedicated, SO one track minded and dedicated to perfection EVER!  I think the man must have some bionic implants or something, because I saw limitless energy and concentration.

You don’t need to be a math expert to figure out that Chad put nearly 9 hours of PAINSTAKING work into my TV, far more than was really the call of duty. I think the man MIGHT have gone to the bathroom ONE TIME during ALL of this! Superman!

Now…here’s the real clincher: When all this was said and done, I was fully prepared to pay a hefty and fair sum, as dictated by ISF SRP’s and so forth. Chad damn near gave me a heart attack when he quoted me a truly absurdly and unfair to him low price. I wouldn’t do it.

I wrote Chad out a check for a bit more than he quoted me for because he was truly being insanely generous with his price quote. He really was unfair to himself.  

This man makes a living doing this full time and I couldn’t have slept last night if I had only paid him what he had the nerve to quote me. I can see why and how he can do this full time: He’s that damned good! UN-BELIEVABLE!

Chad! Don’t undersell yourself like that! EVER!!!

I thought my XBR960 was doing pretty good in Pro, and Monitor, and my little tweak job with the regular menus and Avia. I was skeptical. I thought “Meh, I’ll see a nip and tuck and yeah, it’ll be nicer.”

Folks, I now have a professional monitor in every sense of the word, completely flawless in EVERY possible respect. I wasn’t expecting such a huge difference and yet I sit here today, writing this, in pure jaw dropping SHOCK.

I am now a complete convert and zealous believer in ISF calibrations. It’s a no-brainer for me to say: I will ALWAYS ISF calibrate ANY display I ever buy and own from this day forth, and it will be Chad Billheimer doing my work.

I hope Chad gains the national prominence and business that he truly deserves for the level of dedication, sophistication, and perfectionism that would make most mortal men curl up and weep.

It sounds corny, but I feel moved as I write this. I really am blown away at the level of quality, dedication, selflessness, and pure service to the ends of the Earth that Chad provided for me.  “Beyond the call of duty” is an understatement for what Chad Billheimer is all about and the kind of man that he is.

I wouldn’t have believed it had I not sat there the entire time and watched Chad work his magic and talked with him when I saw I might not distract him. ;)

It’s a testament also that, considering how long this was, the time really did fly by because I was so fascinated with what Chad was doing and he was always able to explain everything to me in very easy to understand terms. He also saved on my computer a detailed and easy to follow report on “before/after” calibration with beautiful graphics and charts. That’s a real eye opener! When my grayscale goes from about 10,000 to 6500K, you know something got done! I saw it all with my own eyes!

Chad has made a customer and a friend for life in me. He’s as gracious and humble of a person as you can imagine from reading what I’ve described here. I certainly will be doing everything I possibly can to spread the word high and far about Chad.

Thank you Chad. You’re a gem and truly one in a million and I truly wish you and your wife God’s fullest blessings. Thank you SO much.

Digi-G

« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2005, 08:54 pm »
Sounds like an awesome experience. And it sounds like he works out of Dayton - guess where I am?  Right in his home town!   :mrgreen:   I'm working up to my new HD set - hopefully next tax return.  I've added Chad's site to my favorites and I'll definitely keep him in mind...

Thanks for passing on such a positive experience.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2005, 11:55 pm »
Quote from: Digi-G
Sounds like an awesome experience. And it sounds like he works out of Dayton - guess where I am?  Right in his home town!   :mrgreen:   I'm working up to my new HD set - hopefully next tax return.  I've added Chad's site to my favorites and I'll definitely keep him in mind...

Thanks for passing on such a positive experience.

Awesome! You won't regret it! :)

If you go to his site and fill out the ISF calibration request form...it's not a binding contract and he'll write you back and you can ask him any questions you may have ahead of time.

I must've heckled him with at least half a dozen emails over the course of a month's time before finally making it happen and he was always patient and he answered any question I had.

I've just been watching my TV ever since and it's like a whole new beast! I went into this skeptical. I knew I'd get some of obvious geometry issues settled out and things would be nice but...man, I never expected THIS kind of difference.

I'm a full fledged ISF zealot now. I believe!  :mrgreen:

I'll never buy another display again without getting it ISF calibrated.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2005, 12:00 am »
For this reason, I've purchased my own grey scale calibration device.  This way, I can keep my TV at the correct grey scale.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2006, 02:55 pm »
Wow, why is Q resurrecting a 6 month old thread?

Very simple. The other foot dropping, so to speak.

The "finishing touch" on any ISF calibration should be what happened for me yesterday: I took delivery of an Ideal-Lume Standard backlight.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/

The $50 standard is more than enough for just about everyone. I also bought a couple of spare bulbs at $10 each. Each bulb lasts about 10,000 hours so I think I'm good for a while.

I'll let them explain their own products, but I'm here to tell you: No hype. No gimmicks. No BS. This was a night and day difference for me last night.

As some of you may know, last night was the two hour return of Alias followed by Invasion. So that was three hours of good HDTV viewing that I was able to watch using the Idea Lume.

Put it to you this way: Just like an ISF job, I will NEVER, EVER own a display or watch one again now without proper backlighting like this. For me, they are one in the same under the umbrella of a quality calibration and optimal viewing enjoyment.

Three hours of TV viewing like that and I had zero eye strain, maxed relaxed eyes, and indeed I was noticing that I was appreciating more details in my picture quality. Barring the need for sleep, I literally could have watched TV all night with no problems whatsoever with this light.

And I went into it somewhat skeptical, but like ISF calibrating, I'm now a true believer in backlighting as well. I'd recommend it to ANYONE with ANY kind of display, but especially if you've bought yourself a nice display and went through the trouble of ISF calibration. Finish it off right. :)

wshuff

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2006, 12:39 pm »
Cool.

I've contacted the guy that did your ISF calibration.  Once I get moved I plan to have him work his magic on my display, maybe two of them.  

And now I'll look into this backlight.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2006, 01:49 pm »
Quote from: wshuff
Cool.

I've contacted the guy that did your ISF calibration.  Once I get moved I plan to have him work his magic on my display, maybe two of them.  

Yay! :D

And now I'll look into this backlight.

Best $50 give or take you'll ever spend.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2006, 05:10 pm »
Hello Q, Your 6 month old thread is news to me since I'm new to the forum.
Very good information there. I've been pondering having the Sanyo PLV Z2 projector ISF cal'd, but have'nt made the jump. Procrastination and financially unable due to the aquisition of "other" toys for the room has prevented me from doing it. Your shining review of Chad is a rare complement for a person in any industry. I live in St. Louis, not sure if he'd come this far. Checked out his site for a few minutes, but will spend more time there later.
Thanks for the referal. He's been bookmarked!

Bob

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2006, 11:16 pm »
Quote from: Bob Jackson
Hello Q, Your 6 month old thread is news to me since I'm new to the forum.
Very good information there. I've been pondering having the Sanyo PLV Z2 projector ISF cal'd, but have'nt made the jump. Procrastination and financially unable due to the aquisition of "other" toys for the room has prevented me from doing it. Your shining review of Chad is a rare complement for a person in any industry. I live in St. Louis, not sure if he'd come this far. Checked out his site for a few minutes, but will spend more time there later.
Thanks for the referal. He's been bookmarked!

Bob

Heck, somehow he's made it out as far as Jersey and even NYC I'm told, so you shouldn't have any problems getting him to do a quick hop over to St. Louis. ;)

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2006, 03:45 am »
Q,   I peeked some more at Chad's site, $375 is VERY resonable for a LCD PJ cal. hmmm, YOU may have moved calibration up my priorities list a few notches.... I've got buddies with various plasma / HD sets that have sparked an interest in calibration. Getting us all together would make it worth Chad's horrible drive time.

Thanks again,
Bob

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2006, 02:53 pm »
Quote from: Bob Jackson
Q,   I peeked some more at Chad's site, $375 is VERY resonable for a LCD PJ cal. hmmm, YOU may have moved calibration up my priorities list a few notches.... I've got buddies with various plasma / HD sets that have sparked an interest in calibration. Getting us all together would make it worth Chad's horrible drive time.

Thanks again,
Bob

That would be good. :)

Double Ugly

Re: XBR960: A truly AMAZING ISF experience!
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2006, 11:11 pm »
You can add me to the Chad Billheimer fan club.

Chad left my home moments ago after spending over 6 hours calibrating my Sammy HLN567W DLP TV.  $375 (and two Mountain Dews) for what I saw him do is a no-brainer if you're interested in getting the best from your TV/projector/display components.  The differences noted in digital and HD are startling, and I'm pleased as punch that I finally convinced Chad to make the trek into the middle of nowhere (with apologies, Rob).

Chad is a true professional, but more importantly he's a true gentleman.  He has my highest recommendation.

bubba966

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2006, 02:53 am »
Hmm. I need my Loewe ISF'd. I have 15 cases of Dew I just picked up last week.
Woder if Chad would come all the way up here?... :scratch: :lol:

Double Ugly

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2006, 03:01 am »
Hmm. I need my Loewe ISF'd. I have 15 cases of Dew I just picked up last week.
Woder if Chad would come all the way up here?... :scratch: :lol:

That's an awfully long way, but I *still* wouldn't offer all 15 cases right away.  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2006, 09:18 am »
You can add me to the Chad Billheimer fan club.

Chad left my home moments ago after spending over 6 hours calibrating my Sammy HLN567W DLP TV.  $375 (and two Mountain Dews) for what I saw him do is a no-brainer if you're interested in getting the best from your TV/projector/display components.  The differences noted in digital and HD are startling, and I'm pleased as punch that I finally convinced Chad to make the trek into the middle of nowhere (with apologies, Rob).

Chad is a true professional, but more importantly he's a true gentleman.  He has my highest recommendation.
WOW !!!! All the way down to Mississippi....Jim, you should of taken him out to dinner. :thankyou:

StevenACNJ

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jul 2006, 10:36 am »
Chad is truly amazing.

My Panny plasma after his calibration is such a pleasure to watch.

Highly recommended!

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jul 2006, 01:34 pm »
It just goes to show you: You have nothing to lose going to Chad's site and filling out his form. It's non binding. He may pleasantly surprise you and say: "Yeah, I can get out there by such and such time." You never know.

On several forums, I've been downright shocked how far out he's already gone on several occasions.

Levi

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2006, 01:44 pm »
I planned to use Chad's services for my Plasma display.  I penciled in an appointment.  Did he say how often the display needs to be re-calibrated?  Once a month?  Twice a month?  Everytime you unplugged the device? 

That $375 a visit can get expensive you know. :scratch:

Double Ugly

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jul 2006, 08:20 pm »
WOW !!!! All the way down to Mississippi....Jim, you should of taken him out to dinner. :thankyou:

You have no idea how many times I tried to feed him, Chris.  As for dinner, he didn't have time...just accepted another Mountain Dew as he climbed into his car.  I believe he said he was going to Little Rock, AR.  :o

FWIW, he did mention going to NYC in the not-too-distant future.

bubba966

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jul 2006, 11:45 pm »

You know, I was going to say that I'd bet you good money that Jim at least tried to feed him once at the minimum.

But it looks like he beat me to it...

I'll probably just have the place I bought my Loewe from ISF it for me. I think it'd only be $250 to do it. Just need a spare $250... :roll: