Projector setup advice.

Phil A

Re: Projector setup advice.
« Reply #40 on: 24 Feb 2016, 02:52 am »
I was super close to pulling the trigger on a BenQ back in 2011 when I bought my current Epson 3010, but a buddy of mine had such a great experience with Epson he talked me into it. How do you like the Sony? I've been thinking about upgrading the living room tv to something larger, and it seems like the 4k thing would be a good investment since Netflix is already offering titles with that resolution. Some of those curved Samsungs are calling to me a bit...lol

I went back and forth.  Originally had my eye on a couple Samsungs (but also wanted a back-up 3D system and the Sony at its price point has HDR too).  Originally has an old Vizio (55 inch) backlit LED which was in my old master bedroom but the problem was I just sit 7 feet away and the old Salamander Synergy furniture bridge had to be up high (on top of 40 inch towers) and from the bottom of the stand to the actual screen was about 5 inches (see 1st pic below.  I angled it down but it looked stupid and was never right.  So I got a wider bridge (standard vs. customer not that there was tons of difference in the price it is just that the speakers would be just too far apart) and could fit a 50 inch TV and stuck an old low end but OK Insignia  (now just used for my music server boot up and the 12 year old Vizio 42 inch is in the garage) I originally bought for the guest bedroom/bonus room and dragged the Vizio upstairs (2nd pic below).

So I debated a 50 inch that would fit on the bridge and be a drop lower or get something a bit bigger.  I also didn't want to spend a fortune on secondary system.  So I ended up sticking the new wider bridge up to the level as the bridge in the first pic and the new 55 inch set hangs over about 1.75 inches on either side of the Salamander towers and looks fine.  It came about 3PM and all I've done is tune in the channels and update the Android software (as I had company that left about 90 minutes ago).  I'll probably sign in on Netflix and Amazon on the TV before I got sleep and do a rough re-calibration with the Oppo 103D and if I get time re-program the Harmony remote.  Hopefully by this weekend I'll watch a Blu-Ray.

Old Vizio 55

Cheapo Insignia 50

Old Vizio 55 new home

ajzepp

« Reply #41 on: 24 Feb 2016, 04:49 am »
You know what's funny? I used to always have just one primary system that I'd set up for both movies and music, and then in the other rooms I'd just have a tv for regular viewing. Early last year I realized that I was slowly starting to see gear overflow into not two, but THREE rooms lol. I have pretty good restraint and I don't usually spend more than what would be prudent for my interests, but the point is that every time I see your posts it's almost like a relief lol...I'll find myself thinking, "see...Phil has gear in a few rooms and he enjoys it just fine."   :lol:

What speakers are those in the last pic, btw? And did you pain those Salamander towers then? They look great, especially with the veneer of those speakers  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 24 Feb 2016, 05:28 am »
You know what's funny? I used to always have just one primary system that I'd set up for both movies and music, and then in the other rooms I'd just have a tv for regular viewing. Early last year I realized that I was slowly starting to see gear overflow into not two, but THREE rooms lol. I have pretty good restraint and I don't usually spend more than what would be prudent for my interests, but the point is that every time I see your posts it's almost like a relief lol...I'll find myself thinking, "see...Phil has gear in a few rooms and he enjoys it just fine."   :lol:

What speakers are those in the last pic, btw? And did you pain those Salamander towers then? They look great, especially with the veneer of those speakers  :thumb:

Well over time, I've just sold less things (not that the current house is small but I also moved from a bigger house in VA which also had a basement).  Those are GR Research N3s.  Always wanted a ribbon tweeter and watch sales within a reasonable distance for a reasonable amount.  A guy here wanted to down size to smaller speakers and I had a pair of MoFi OML-1s (1st pick below).  I traded for the stands and they really weren't proper for the speaker.  I also had use for the stands to add side surround in the first two pics and then I could convert the in-ceiling surrounds for Atmos.  So it worked out well for both of us doing an even trade.

Just made some picture adjustments for Blu-Ray for the new TV set.  The set as noted looks much better than the first pic in my prior post (see the 2nd pic below).  Tomorrow, I'll do re-calibrations for the speakers (moved the center a bit) and re-program the remote.  Still have stuff to do with the set (couldn't get into Netflix for whatever reason - have to re-look, but did sign into Amazon).

I actually use the bedroom system (3rd pic below) mostly for stuff like Netflix and Amazon with the 92 inch screen and in the old place I rarely used my bedroom system.  Sometimes I use it for regular TV.  I use the main system more for 2-channel music than anything but also for Blu-Rays and 3D Blu-Rays (but don't buy as many as I used to).  If something isn't worth selling I just give it to someone.  I have a couple of things I'll sell and some more I could but probably for what they are worth I'll end up keeping them.  Just got rid of 2 LD players and about 140 LDs.  That kind of happened more or less by accident (I posted on another forum and got a PM - had not used the players in several years).

ajzepp

« Reply #43 on: 24 Feb 2016, 06:39 am »
Oh, I thought that was the same rack but you had put a stain on it or something lol... :duh:

I love how that darker cabinet looks with the stand mounted speakers...very nice!

We're a lot alike...the lady friend's son-in-law has shown a real interest in HT, but they're trying to have a baby and not making much money...so I bought him the Outlaw M8 subwoofer that I love so much, hooked him up with a 120" pulldown I had no further use for, gave him my Mitsubishi projector, and finished it off with a few pairs of Dayton speakers...and now he's got a pretty darn nice little HT that didn't cost him a dime, and didn't cost me much more than that. I think it's awesome to give away gear to others who will appreciate it.

Wow, laser disc? Most people I know aren't even aware those things existed lol. I had a Pioneer LD player back in the early 90s. Pain in the rear flipping those discs out, but was pretty neat

Phil A

« Reply #44 on: 24 Feb 2016, 02:12 pm »
My players flipped the LDs.  I played a portion of The Phantom Menace on each one (one in the master bedroom and one in the small bedroom with the new TV) to verify they worked before the guy picked them up as I had not played one in about 5 years.  They didn't look terrible vs. DVDs (especially on a good transfer) but once Blu-Ray came out I couldn't stand to look at them.

stlrman

« Reply #45 on: 24 Feb 2016, 07:04 pm »
Phil , how many inches is the screen on the Avitar? Thanks

Phil A

« Reply #46 on: 24 Feb 2016, 08:26 pm »
Phil , how many inches is the screen on the Avitar? Thanks

That's the master bedroom 92 inch DaLite screen that folds into the ceiling (image from an Epson 8350).  I have a 100 inch Stewark Grayhawk in the main system with an Epson 5030 (pic below).  I use the bedroom more often than the main system (mostly for Netflix and Amazon Prime) and several years down the road when 4k is a bit more affordable and I have an upgrade itch (just bought the 4k 55 inch TV is the spare room to sooth the itch for much longer), I can always rotate the 5030.

Phil A

« Reply #47 on: 24 Feb 2016, 08:32 pm »
Screen sizes from photos can look deceptive.  The rack under the main system is 8 feet long

ajzepp

« Reply #48 on: 24 Feb 2016, 10:46 pm »
Love that room  :thumb:

TJHUB

« Reply #49 on: 24 Feb 2016, 11:22 pm »
The projector showed up today, so I had to try it out.  I'm projecting a 106" image on the wall.  These Vivitek's aren't supposed to be great out of the box without adjustments, but it looks awesome to me!  This is feeling like the best thing I could have ever done.  I can't wait to get the room done so I can get the fixed screen setup. 

ajzepp

« Reply #50 on: 24 Feb 2016, 11:44 pm »
The projector showed up today, so I had to try it out.  I'm projecting a 106" image on the wall.  These Vivitek's aren't supposed to be great out of the box without adjustments, but it looks awesome to me!  This is feeling like the best thing I could have ever done.  I can't wait to get the room done so I can get the fixed screen setup.

:thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #51 on: 25 Feb 2016, 12:40 am »
Awesome!  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #52 on: 25 Feb 2016, 12:57 am »

Enjoy!  There's nothing like watching or listening to something on a new and better set-up.

Phil A

« Reply #53 on: 25 Feb 2016, 12:58 am »
Love that room  :thumb:

Thanks.  Still working on room treatments for a couple of rooms.  Nothing major but little tweaks.

stlrman

« Reply #54 on: 25 Feb 2016, 01:22 am »
Congrats! :thumb: watching movies will never be the same again .  I bought a pull down screen and an older Epson DLP, and I'm loving watching movies with a 2.1 system . No Bluerays for me , but the picture is still great for my enjoyment! :D
  Enjoy!!

TJHUB

« Reply #55 on: 6 Mar 2016, 03:41 pm »
Here is a quick update:

Remodeling the room is taking longer than I expected, but I'm really close to being done.  Installing the recessed lighting was a lot of work, especially all the planning before cutting holes and wiring.  I need to finish some trim work around the windows and 1 door, and I'm hanging the projector right now. 

The Silver Ticket screen is huge step up from my clay colored wall testing.  It's really nicely made, and everything was of high quality.  It went together very easily with my 15 year old daughter helping. 

We watched the latest Bond flick last night.  No going back to anything smaller than 120" now!   :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #56 on: 6 Mar 2016, 10:41 pm »
Your set up looks fantastic!! :thumb: enjoy !!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 7 Mar 2016, 12:56 am »
No going back to anything smaller than 120" now!   :thumb:
Glad you're one of us now.  8)
Welcome to the club.

The room looks awesome and very inviting.
PLEASE, add some pics to the "Show us your HT setup" thread.

TJHUB

« Reply #58 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:29 am »
Thanks gents.  I've wanted to be in this club for a very long time.

I will post pics when I get things wrapped up. 

I finally got to watch the 3rd Hobbit movie tonight.  Wow, that movie has great image clarity. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #59 on: 7 Mar 2016, 01:22 pm »
Thanks gents.  I've wanted to be in this club for a very long time.

I will post pics when I get things wrapped up. 

I finally got to watch the 3rd Hobbit movie tonight.  Wow, that movie has great image clarity.
Yes, those Hobbit/Rings movies are pretty cool.
With a screen this large, it really brings something new to those "epic" movies like that.