MCH-K38 or dual ST-10m monoblocks

Tylerg1976

MCH-K38 or dual ST-10m monoblocks
« on: 14 Mar 2018, 03:14 am »
Hello,

Help me make a decision.

I just recently stepped in class D amplification world. I have been using a ida-16 as an external amplifier for my Marantz SR 7011.

I'm running a pair of 705s2 Bowers and Wilkins speakers with a matching centre channel.

I have a large reflective room with numerous sound panels.

I guess my goal is to get the best sound possible I can with this set up using either one of the amplifiers mentioned in the subject of this post. Music is far more important to me but I really do enjoy watching Netflix using the centre channel and subs (svs sb2000). Currently I'm using the ida16 for the left and right (obviously) and running the centre channel off of the Marantz receiver.

Initially my plan was to get the eight channel K 38 and run 400 W (Bridge) to the front three channels and having the eight channels would give me the opportunity to run a couple of surrounds down the road if I want.

But the ST – 10M mono blocks seem like such an enticing option if I do want to focus more on two channel audio.

So I guess my question is which amplifier would be ultimate if I were to focus on two channel audio. Obviously if I want to go multichannel home Theatre the K 38 is the way to go but to be honest, I don't much care for a perfect multichannel system.

Thanks in advance!

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
Re: MCH-K38 or dual ST-10m monoblocks
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2018, 06:49 am »
Since no one outside NuPrime has heard the ST-10M, it is really difficult to make an accurate suggestion.

The improvement over the ST-10 would have to be really evident to merit the ST-10M instead of the 38 in your scenario.  But that's just me.

Best regards,
Rafa.

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2018, 06:14 pm »
It still comes down to sound characteristic.
ST-10 is known to be all rounded reference class amp - ie no matter what music choice, you can't go wrong with it.
ST-10M added more power and incremental overall improvement to ST-10. If you don't need the power, then it is not worth the upgrade.

MCH-K38 leans toward warmer (not as warm as STA-9) and explosive power, for people who watch a lot of movies and also like rock and loud music. ST-10 is like a well rounded athlete, K-38 is like a body builder. 

Tylerg1976

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2018, 02:30 am »
It still comes down to sound characteristic.
ST-10 is known to be all rounded reference class amp - ie no matter what music choice, you can't go wrong with it.
ST-10M added more power and incremental overall improvement to ST-10. If you don't need the power, then it is not worth the upgrade.

MCH-K38 leans toward warmer (not as warm as STA-9) and explosive power, for people who watch a lot of movies and also like rock and loud music. ST-10 is like a well rounded athlete, K-38 is like a body builder.

Thank you. So just in terms of sound, putting the extra channels aside, if I am the type of person spends about 50 to 60% of his time listening critically to all forms of jazz and spents the rest of the time using the system with Netflix and other forms of music, which amplifier would you suggest?

I like to crank it up now and then but really not very often. My ears have a pretty bad case of tinnitus and aside from all the ringing and other strange sounds they have become physically sensitive to all sorts of frequencies. Some days are better than others but for the most part I really enjoy just listening to music at low to moderate levels and I can see that being the trend further on down the road.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2018, 08:40 am »
From what you describe, actually the sta-9 may be exactly what you have been waiting for: it's warmth would be less analytical with the frequencies that may bother you, while being perfect for jazz.

I you feel you are lacking power, you can buy a second 9 and use them as monoblocks!

Best regards,
Rafa.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2018, 08:49 am »
Thank you. So just in terms of sound, putting the extra channels aside, if I am the type of person spends about 50 to 60% of his time listening critically to all forms of jazz and spents the rest of the time using the system with Netflix and other forms of music, which amplifier would you suggest?

From my new senior product manager, Jye (he is also our Singapore distributor/dealer):
Left is STA-9, right is ST-10

Wwp347

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2018, 01:25 pm »
 Are the ST-10M monoblocks balanced?

Tylerg1976

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2018, 10:04 pm »
Are the ST-10M monoblocks balanced?

Most likely. Everything else they put out is.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2018, 01:11 am »
The fact that inputs support balanced cables, does not necessarily mean that the design itself is end-to-end balanced.

I'm interested in the answer to this as well, as I believe this question never gets a simple yes or no answer.

You can argue that sound is not affected by this or that, but the design is either balanced (which means two of mostly  everything), or it isn't.

Thanks for any light on this,
Rafa.

in1unison

« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2018, 02:35 pm »
According to Jason on one of the previous threads, all NuPrime amps are "end-to-end" balanced design.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2018, 02:48 pm »
Really? I don't think I read that.  Any chance of a link or at least where it was? I'll look for it.  Thanks. 

Jye

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2018, 06:59 am »
I believe the thread where Jason made the comment is here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142937.0

The ST-10M is fully balanced as well. Rather then commenting about which of the amps sounds better, we have designed the Multichannel series more for the dynamic prowess suited for home theater and the stereo/mono block series for music listening. So in general, the MCH-K38 would convey the power of the explosions better while the ST-10/10M may deliver the soundtracks with more realism (if this makes any sense at all! :D ).

Perhaps in the quest of 'upgrading' from the IDA-16, you could think about which direction you would like to go knowing the different approaches the amps are designed.

rustydoglim

« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2018, 06:56 am »
Jye is more knowledgeable than me when come to audio, now you guys can get more accurate comment about our products.