Cornet C8 Mod: Disaster

Doc Jr 8156

« on: 18 Dec 2003, 06:45 am »
Hello,

After reading some upgrades thread for the Cornet, I replaced the C8 with 1uf Auricaps and C7 with Orange Drops of the same stock value.  The result:  everything change for the worse.  My Cornet loss gain.  I usually use 1/4 volume adjustment for a reasonable listening level from my preamp but now even at 1/2 the gain is still low.  I even integrate my Lundahl step-up inside the Cornet and still the gain was so low considering I should be running the FF:  Cornet gain = 44db + Lundahl gain of 14db + preamp gain of 18db, at least 60db. How did this happen?  I tried locating the thread when someone adviced Auricap 1uf 200v for C8 but to no avail.  By the way, the original C8 value is I think .01uf. Can anyone help?  Thanks.

hagtech

« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2003, 07:47 am »
C8 is 1nF, or 0.001uF.  Are you sure you have correct value?  The 1uF auricap recommendation is for C6.

jh :?:

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2003, 04:05 pm »
My bad!

Thanks Jim.  I definitely misread the parts, again.  Yes, I did install 1uf Hovlands in C6 .  I ordered the correct values (Orange Drops) and I will totally replaced all capacitors with botique parts in their recommended values this weekend. I'll be using Orange Drops, Holcos and Auricaps.  One last thing, with a 1uf caps at C8, what will the result be in technical terms.  Again, thanks much.

GRD

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2003, 02:05 am »
Audioasylum has a thread on RIAA capacitors that might be of interest.    Thanks for the tip on the Riken resistors.  Expensive but nice sounding.

http://db.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=tweaks&m=55285

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2003, 03:49 am »
Changing C8 from 1nF to 1uF pushes the 75us time constant down a bit too far.  From 2122Hz to 2Hz.  

That would be your loss of gain.  I suppose almost 40dB gain loss at 1kHz.  It also makes the RIAA a double slope in the audio band.

jh :wink: