What to build next?

Lebo

What to build next?
« on: 7 Apr 2021, 01:59 pm »
Good morning everyone.   I recently finished a pair of XCS speakers for my shop and I am looking for suggestions on what to build next.  I am very very far from an audiophile but I enjoy music and want to build some speakers for my living room/great room.  I really need a audiophile book for Dummies.

This will not be a media room.  If possible, I'd like it to be a dual system.  One that I can listen to music with and then on occasion use for a surround sound system for the occasional movie.  A compromise between good sound and optics.  I won't be able to get away with speakers 3 feet in the living room on a daily basis so the larger speakers like the NX-Oticas are not in the cards at the moment.

My initial thoughts are the NX- Studios for left and right, a sub or two, and two A/V-1R speakers for the rear channels.    Am I mixing apples and oranges?  I have read so many great things about the NX-Studios that I want to have them as my cornerstone speaker if they make sense with everything else.

I have learned about a lot of things over the years but this speaker and stereo equipment topic is a ton to figure out. There are so many options out there.  I have been reading this forum for a little while now and I am just now starting to understand a little about what is going on.  To give you an idea, I have built a crossover but still not exactly sure what it does.  And I don't know anything about the graphs I see but I am working on it.  :)

Thank you and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  If it helps my living room is 21 feet deep and 18 wide.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: What to build next?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2021, 02:15 pm »
Sounds like a good plan.  Is there a reason for no center channel?  Ideally, if you're going to do surround sound, the front 3 speakers should match to give the most cohesive sound. 

How do you like your X-CS'?  Did you install the upgrades?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2021, 02:17 pm »
You wouldn't be mixing apples and oranges. I use the A/V1-RS surround speakers with my NX-Otica Duos (trying to think of a simpler way of describing the main speakers instead of "NX-Otica MTM monitors/dual OB servo sub combo").

I don't use a center channel speaker with the NX-Otica "Duos". The clarity and imaging are so good I don't need one. If you did use a center channel speaker, ideally you would want it to match the NX-Studios but no such speaker exists at this time.

For what you are wanting, I'd say you have nailed a killer system.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2021, 03:31 pm »
Just build another NX Studio for the center channel.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2021, 04:14 pm »
You're plan is great.  The NX-Studio is a great speaker to build a system around.  As good as the XCS speakers are, the NX lineup is far better.  All of Danny's speakers are voiced the same, so having a mix of them is not bad.  Although I do really like Early B's idea of using a 3rd NX-Studio as a center channel.  Can't get better matching than that :)

Lebo

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2021, 09:19 pm »
Thanks for the quick responses and the suggestions.  That is good news.

Corndog71:  I love my XCS speakers.  I listen to them everyday.  And yes I went full upgrade.  Everything Danny offers.  It is the only good pair of speakers I have ever owned so I do not have a lot to compare them with.  All I know is I like them.  I am sure they have more potential.  I have them hooked up to an really old Harman Kardon I bought like 25 years ago.  Just moved that Harmon Kardon around for years never really getting it hooked up.  I told my wife, someday I'll use it. Now I use it every day.

No, no reason for no center channel just thought I'd build the others first and maybe use one of my XCS speakers for the center later.  Then with the other XCS add a pair of XLS speakers for my shop.  Right now my "shop" is my garage but my real shop is in the works.  But don't hold your breath.  I've been building it for almost three years now.

I didn't think to use another NX studio a the center channel.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, building these yourself really helps sell these to the wife. I can always say," do you realize how much money I am saving us by building these myself.  If I bought these off a showroom floor they would be 3 times the price." I have a cool wife so its not a hard sell. Maybe she is good with it because if I buy she buys.  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2021, 09:27 pm »
With Danny's stuff it's more like 5x the cost you're saving.  No joke.