12 ax7 for Rogue integrated

Bigfishhk

12 ax7 for Rogue integrated
« on: 16 May 2013, 02:45 am »
Am thinking of rolling Psvane T series 12ax7's in the input stage of Rogue Tempest 2 integrated amp ( passive line stage)
I have tried JJ,s, Telefunken, RCA. Tele,s so far the best but the two i have are showing their age now. RCA,s also doing decent job.

What I would be hoping for is additional trasnparency, warmth and air.

Anyone tried the psvane treaures in their Rogue or any other amp for that matter?

Tx

TB

medium jim

Re: 12 ax7 for Rogue integrated
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2013, 03:23 am »
Here's a thought, JohnR is Karma giving a pair of 12AX7's from his stash and only one number for the 1st Drawing is left:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116742.0

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2013, 03:37 am »
Hi Bigfishhk:

I see that you grabbed the last number, I hope you win....the Baldwin Organ Company only used the best tubes which were made by the likes of RCA, Telefunken and a few other notables. 

Jim

Bigfishhk

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2013, 03:44 am »
Hi Bigfishhk:

I see that you grabbed the last number, I hope you win....the Baldwin Organ Company only used the best tubes which were made by the likes of RCA, Telefunken and a few other notables. 

Jim
Hey thanks Jim. I hope I win too!

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2013, 04:16 am »
I have been very curious too about the Psvane 12ax7s in my Rogue (Stereo 90). Waiting for my upgrade to settle in, and then 12ax7s are top of my audio to-do list when I've got some extra cash.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2013, 11:04 am »
I have the Psvanes in the phono stage of my 99 but I have to admit that I haven't done any rolling to compare them with other makes.  I don't know that anything will best the Tele 12AX7s though (what I have in my Stereo 90).

Bigfish, I have two pairs of the Psvane 12AX7.  I could send you a pair to try out.  Been thinking of selling a pair anyway.  If they work for you we could work out a deal.  If not, no problem.  BTW, I got these from Grants as their top of the line version.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2013, 12:23 pm »
I have the Psvanes in the phono stage of my 99 but I have to admit that I haven't done any rolling to compare them with other makes.  I don't know that anything will best the Tele 12AX7s though (what I have in my Stereo 90).

Bigfish, I have two pairs of the Psvane 12AX7.  I could send you a pair to try out.  Been thinking of selling a pair anyway.  If they work for you we could work out a deal.  If not, no problem.  BTW, I got these from Grants as their top of the line version.
Yes please
Tx
TB

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2013, 12:50 pm »

What do you like about the Teles compared to other 12ax7s in the Stereo 90? Are you using smooth or ribbed plates?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2013, 06:56 pm »
I think they're smooth plates but I'll have to look.  Honestly, I haven't done much input/driver rolling in my 90.  I'm not even sure I've tried another 9 pin though I have tried a couple of different 6SN7s in it.  They didn't make too much difference in my context.  I have Philips ECGs there right now.  I have others to try but I ran out of tube rolling time/energy/desire and have been just listening to music instead.  Let me know what makes a big difference in your amp, Roscoe.

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2013, 07:14 pm »
I'd love it if you could compare the Psvane and Tele 12ax7s in the Stereo 90 before that pair gets shipped off.

trianglezerius

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2013, 09:18 pm »
I currently was running PSVane 12ax7s in my Rogue Tempest III until I saw a thread on Audiogon about 5751s. So I investigated it and ordered a pair Electro Harmonix from Cryoset and it was like I upgraded my amp. So I highly recommend trying it for yourself since, in my opinion, its a much bigger improvement for less.

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2013, 09:21 pm »
I currently was running PSVane 12ax7s in my Rogue Tempest III until I saw a thread on Audiogon about 5751s. So I investigated it and ordered a pair Electro Harmonix from Cryoset and it was like I upgraded my amp. So I highly recommend trying it for yourself since, in my opinion, its a much bigger improvement for less.

In what areas did you hear the most improvement? Anything that the Psvanes did better?

trianglezerius

« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2013, 09:27 pm »
It was an improvment across the board in all areas. The PSVanes are touch smoother and that is it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2013, 09:35 pm »
It was an improvment across the board in all areas. The PSVanes are touch smoother and that is it.

Wow, you may have just saved me some money. These are the new production tubes?

trianglezerius

Bigfishhk

« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2013, 12:55 am »
Yes! Here is the link to where I ordered mine from:

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_79&products_id=328&osCsid=1b2af0fa1053ec487a1dd2995feb40ae

Interesting. Does 30% less gain with these tubes mean corresponding less volume?
Since tempest 2 doesn,t need  a reduction in volume output!
Tx

Bigfishhk

« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2013, 12:58 am »
In what areas did you hear the most improvement? Anything that the Psvanes did better?
How were they when you ran them on tempest 3 in passive mode or did you always have the active pre amp mode on?

trianglezerius

« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2013, 01:29 am »
How were they when you ran them on tempest 3 in passive mode or did you always have the active pre amp mode on?

In my system the difference in gain reduction was miniscule and I use 85db speakers.

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2013, 02:20 am »
If they were input tubes, my understanding is that the reduction in gain isn't as consequential for volume. But I could have gotten that wrong...

Ericus Rex

« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2013, 10:58 am »
I'd love it if you could compare the Psvane and Tele 12ax7s in the Stereo 90 before that pair gets shipped off.

Still have a second pair of Pavanes.  Might be a while before I can roll.  Right now I'm enjoying my Quicksilver GLA amp.    :thumb: