Need some suggestions: Getting started in "2-channel w

MaxCast

« Reply #20 on: 16 Oct 2003, 04:02 pm »
Quote from: covermye
Another amp option open for discussion is the Odyssey Stratos, which I'd get with upgraded cap section (120,000 uF).  However, I'm pretty sure the Stratos's 10k input impedance would require something other than a passive pre...  

What kind of output power signal / output impedance from a DAC or CD Player would I need to adequately drive a load like the Stratos?  

Also, does anybody have any impression(s) of the CEC 3300 CD player linked to above?

Odyssey has a passive preamp also ~$275.  I've heard it with the Stratos and the Khatargo with longish cables.  Didn't notice any loss in dynamics!!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 16 Oct 2003, 04:29 pm »
francisco, i'm not saying the stalker stiffed ya - he likely wasn't aware of the problem, imo.  and, 6922's aren't noted for being microphonic.  neither the melos pre's.  i can tap on the sides of the 6922's in my pre & ya don't hear a *ting* thru the speakers.  the rogue 99 magnum w/its 6sn7's - now *that* was a microphonic preamp.  yust *touching* the case would emit an audible ring thru the speakers.  my cary slp98-l after that, also w/6sn7's, would ring, but only when tapping the actual tubes.

re: liking yer passive pre, changed yer mind? - sean wasn't able to conwince ya to go active after all?   :wink:  well what's important is that ya enjoy the music!   :)  as most folk know, the active-vs-passive (vs none?) preamp debate is similar to toob vs solid-state, etc.  i prefer active (presently!   :) ), and feel a quality active will give all the resolution needed, w/better dynamics.

regards,

doug s.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #22 on: 16 Oct 2003, 09:09 pm »
Quote from: doug s.
re: liking yer passive pre, changed yer mind? - sean wasn't able to conwince ya to go active after all?  well what's important is that ya enjoy the music!  as most folk know, the active-vs-passive (vs none?) preamp debate is similar to toob vs solid-state, etc. i prefer active (presently!  ), and feel a quality active will give all the resolution needed, w/better dynamics.

Sean turned me on to the Forté amps.  Deano's the one heavily into active preamps.  It was Robert Schult of Ridge Street Audio who convinced me to go passive and he proved himself right.  He has told me that there is no single active preamp that he hasn't been able to "hear" in an audio system.  Truth is, a passive preamp is thermodynamically correct.  The money I saved by going passive I'm putting in Ridge Street Audio cables.  Ewe should give them a listen.  If you contact Robert and tell him what your system is he'll tell ewe if the Midnight Silver Edition (Gen II) are suited for ewe... :mrgreen:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #23 on: 17 Oct 2003, 01:16 am »
francisco, i need only one pair of i/c's upgraded - but it's a 6m pair...  everyting else is alphacore tq2 & micropurl ag, & i am really happy w/it - *wery* neutral - which is what i strive for in my rig.  

while i'd certainly love to try someting like a 6m run of the ridge street stuff, it's way outta my budget, so it's not even in the realm of the possible.  even a used 6m run of alphacore tq2 - which is what i'd like to find - may be outta my price range.  it's likely i will either roll my own, or get someting from grover, who's stuff is ridiculously inexpensive, & has been chosen in favor of a lot of mega-bucks stuff by many guys w/a lot more experience in audio than me...

doug s.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #24 on: 17 Oct 2003, 01:21 am »
The Ridge Street MSE would be in the neighborhood of $3,500-$4000 for a 15 ft pair (at introductory prices), but look at what happened to Nrchy in Audiogon.  He spent something like $3,600 on a long run of Purist Audio ICs and is a happy man... :mrgreen:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #25 on: 17 Oct 2003, 01:56 am »
Quote from: Psychicanimal
The Ridge Street MSE would be in the neighborhood of $3,500-$4000 for a 15 ft pair (at introductory prices), but look at what happened to Nrchy in Audiogon.  He spent something like $3,600 on a long run of Purist Audio ICs and is a happy man... :mrgreen:

as i said, it's not in my budget.  and, i need 18' min...   :wink:  if i had that kinda $$$, i wouldn't still be longing for some speaks like rm40's, or alpha-ls's, or???  then, *i'd* be a happy man, even w/my present i/c's.. :)  

doug s.

btw, agon's forums are worthless - step on anyone's toes that a-gon protects, & the thread gets deleted - makes all the info there highly suspect, imo...  they only are interested in what's good for their wendors - like folk that sell $3k-$4k interconnect pairs...   :o  i am sure i will find someting as good for ~$300-$400.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #26 on: 17 Oct 2003, 02:04 am »
i am sure i will find someting as good for ~$300-$400.

In your dreams... :nono:

I am spending serious money in cabling because my stereo is sounding realistic for the first time.   I was very happy with the cryo'ed Tice and the Straightwire Rhapsodyy II's.  that was a very good *illusion*.  The Ridge Street MSE Genn II is in another level and it has outperformed very expensive stuff.  Seems one would have to spend 6-7 times more money in order to get beter cables--and that would be out of my budget.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #27 on: 17 Oct 2003, 02:19 am »
i am sure i will find someting as good for ~$300-$400.

In your dreams... :nono:

I am spending serious money in cabling because my stereo is sounding realistic for the first time.   I was very happy with the cryo'ed Tice and the Straightwire Rhapsodyy II's.  that was a very good *illusion*.  The Ridge Street MSE Genn II is in another level and it has outperformed very expensive stuff.  Seems one would have to spend 6-7 times more money in order to get beter cables--and that would be out of my budget.

sorry francisco - this is reality.  when ya discover some reasonably priced stuff that is as good as, or better, than what yure using now, ya will let everyone know about it, too - that is, after ya have unloaded the spendy stuff on a-gon!   :lol:

doug s.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #28 on: 17 Oct 2003, 02:36 am »
sorry francisco - this is reality.

No, it's not. :nono:

The MSE's are handmade cables, not extruded by a machine and use natural material as dielectric.  It's a whole different league--these cables are very labor intensive to make and I don't visuallize Robert giving his recipe to the Chinese anytime soon.   These cables are unlike anything else you have experienced...

covermye

« Reply #29 on: 17 Oct 2003, 03:03 am »
Thanks for all the info so far, guys, but can we stay on topic, which is giving me some ideas for further research for my first "serious" 2-channel setup?

I'd appreciate any links to user reviews of the CEC 3300 piece, as well as any information from anyone here who has successfully used an Odyssey Stratos with a passive pre...

Psychicanimal

« Reply #30 on: 17 Oct 2003, 03:09 am »
Thanks for all the info so far, guys, but can we stay on topic, which is giving me some ideas for further research for my first "serious" 2-channel setup?

I'd appreciate any links to user reviews of the CEC 3300 piece, as well as any information from anyone here who has successfully used an Odyssey Stratos with a passive pre...

Doug has *issues*--I apologize. :o

Hey dude,

Rule #1: don't believe reviews.  Most people's setups are substandard and the professional reviewers are shady.  CEC is a killer brand, it's their first DD CDP (I think) and Audio Advisor gives a 30 day home trial.  Trust your own review.  Go for it.

Marbles

« Reply #31 on: 17 Oct 2003, 03:14 am »
The FT LW-1 was used at Marblesfest last year at my house with an Odyssey Dual mono to good effect and I use a Bent Audio transformer based passive pre to VERY good use.

If your in Monon, IN (as I seem to recall) and want to hear some two channel gear in Fort Wayne, let me know. I have a Dual mono.

Also, Klaus (Odyssey) might even be closer to you than me, and he can put together a VERY nice synergistic package for you.

Klaus's # is 317-299-5578

Mad DOg

« Reply #32 on: 17 Oct 2003, 06:55 am »
...the rogue 99 magnum w/its 6sn7's - now *that* was a microphonic preamp.  yust *touching* the case would emit an audible ring thru the speakers.  my cary slp98-l after that, also w/6sn7's, would ring, but only when tapping the actual tubes...
just wondering...why would anyone be tapping the case or tubes on their preamp while listening to music?  :?

i always thought that reducing or eliminating vibration in your gear is beneficial to the sound but tapping on the case or tubes to intentionally introduce vibration is something new to me.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #33 on: 17 Oct 2003, 10:50 am »
sorry francisco - this is reality.
These cables are unlike anything else you have experienced...

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #34 on: 17 Oct 2003, 10:54 am »
Quote from: Mad DOg
...the rogue 99 magnum w/its 6sn7's - now *that* was a microphonic preamp.  yust *touching* the case would emit an audible ring thru the speakers.  my cary slp98-l after that, also w/6sn7's, would ring, but only when tapping the actual tubes...
just wondering...why would anyone be tapping the case or tubes on their preamp while listening to music?  :?

i always thought that reducing or eliminating vibration in your gear is beneficial to the sound but tapping on the case or tubes to intentionally introduce vibration is something new to me.

afaik, *no one* would tap on a case, or a tube when listening to music.  but, when, for example, touching the pre to switch sources, & hearing a loud noise thru the speakers - well, that may cause one to inwestigate what's going on, re: noise.  perhaps make ya wanna get someting like tube dampers, different tubes, different preamp...   :wink:

doug s.

Mad DOg

« Reply #35 on: 18 Oct 2003, 08:03 am »
...but, when, for example, touching the pre to switch sources, & hearing a loud noise thru the speakers...

just wondering who listens to music critically while switching sources? :? i usually get up to switch the source and return to my chair before i continue to do anymore critical listening...

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #36 on: 18 Oct 2003, 04:31 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg
...but, when, for example, touching the pre to switch sources, & hearing a loud noise thru the speakers...

just wondering who listens to music critically while switching sources? :? i usually get up to switch the source and return to my chair before i continue to do anymore critical listening...

who ever said anyting about listening to music when switching sources, critically or otherwise?  but, if ya hear ringing thru yer pre when ya touch it, ya will notice it, & mebbe try to do someting about it.  sorry, i'm not sure what point it is yure trying to make, if any.  i guess francisco is right - i must have *issues*...   :lol:

tho my rogue pre was extremely microphonic, i'd still have kept it - if i liked the way it sounded.  i certainly wooda tried to ameliorate the microphonics, tho, w/more toob-rollng, toob dampers, or something.  the music itself *will* excite tube microphonics, & sound will improve nominally if it can be reduced or eliminated.  in francisco's case, i dunno what, why, or how the microphonics of his pre were negatively impacting his sound - i yust know all was not well w/that particular piece, as those pre's are not even a *little* bit microphonic under normal circumstances...

doug s.

Mad DOg

« Reply #37 on: 18 Oct 2003, 08:57 pm »
doug s.

i'm not trying to make any point...just trying to understand why it'd be a problem if a preamp is microphonic when touched when the gear is usually isolated from vibrations? unless you were hearing ringing when the preamp was isolated, i don't see or, better yet, hear what the problem is. but since you say that microphonics could heard during normal playback, then i see the problem.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #38 on: 18 Oct 2003, 10:09 pm »
The High Fidelity piece sounds interesting.  I was unable to find their website or a link to that particular piece of equipment, though.  Can you please provide me with a link

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/cdpdacframeset.html

covermye

« Reply #39 on: 20 Oct 2003, 06:09 pm »
Sorry to steer the thread back "on topic", fellas, but do you have any opinions on the Bottlehead Foreplay Pre?  Looks like it could be a little bit of fun assembling, and plenty of room for improvement thereafter, too.