Bogus Tweaks 2

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
Bogus Tweaks 2
« on: 16 Dec 2012, 11:48 pm »
Cable risers.

Cryo treatment.

Bogus.

Perhaps, you are right, but then, perhaps not. Consider the following use of cable risers. There are a pair of network cables in the plumbing jacket against the wall. There is a power cable for the sub (which you'll notice is the basic, stock cable) running along the front side of the cable risers. The sub output of my XO, the LFE output from my preamp and the speaker wires for the rear channel all run along the risers. This maintains the segregation of my signal wires along a parallel path with the aforementioned. That, I think is sensible - not a bogus concern. Ergo, such tools can serve a valid purpose, even from a most restrictive viewpoint.

Whether or not they may also provide a benefit by elevating signal wires above the synthetic fibers of the carpet is a matter I'll leave to others to argue, but they do provide other benefits which are of value to me. Hell, as someone pointed out in that other thread, they look 'kewl' (to some of us anyway). As they have a fair amount of weight and the wires can be strapped to them, they are convenient for routing purposes - being elevated forces any other individual walking in that area of the room to 'respect' the speaker wires. I should also point out that the porcelain insulators that I purchased for the task are quite cheap when sourced from an electrical supply house. 
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2012, 04:06 pm by dBe »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Bogus Tweaks?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2012, 12:53 am »
Cable risers.

Cryo treatment.

Cable risers could make a difference. I use them.  They're cheap. 

Cryo.  I use it too.  Very inexpensive for me (free) and it's science. 

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2012, 12:58 am »
Some people think science is bogus :D

There are even people on AC who don't think room treatments work, that surprised me.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2012, 01:08 am »
Some people think science is bogus :D

There are even people on AC who don't think room treatments work, that surprised me.
Yeah, that's just being ignorant.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2012, 01:23 am »
Cable risers.

Cryo treatment.

Bogus.
Cable risers?  Dunno.  I have hardwood floors in my listening room... that is now devasted for music by the Christmas Gayle.

Cryo - not bogus.  As a purveyor of all things cryo I have a deal for you.  To demonstrate the effects of cryo I will do this: tell me what CD you want to purchase as your next acquisition.  I will go out and buy two copies, leave them in the jackets and cryo one.  I will mark the unopened CD's A and B.  I will send them to a volunteer who will then open them and mark the discs A and B, listen to them and send then to you and you will in turn send them to another volunteer participant.  I will pay for all shipping.  The purpose is to pick out the best sounding CD of the two.  After the first volunteer sends the CD to you, I will email that  person as to which one of the CD's is cryoed.  That volunteer will be the "Control" and will let everyone know which CD is cryoed after the third participant has listened.  All fun and games at no expense to anyone 'cept me.

Who wants to play?

Dave

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2012, 01:24 am »
The Acoustic ART System by Synergistic Research.

Has me baffled. "Magic Spheres" (and half spheres). Always thought that they pushed the boundaries of logic/science a bit.

....... but their room at RMAF 2012 sounded better than it had any right to to. I had listened to the larger NOLA speakers and was thoroughly unimpressed, but the soundstage in the Synergistic room was pretty impressive. On some of the demo pieces -  :thumb:

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2012, 01:27 am »
Cable risers?  Dunno.  I have hardwood floors in my listening room... that is now devasted for music by the Christmas Gayle.

Cryo - not bogus.  As a purveyor of all things cryo I have a deal for you.  To demonstrate the effects of cryo I will do this: tell me what CD you want to purchase as your next acquisition.  I will go out and buy two copies, leave them in the jackets and cryo one.  I will mark the unopened CD's A and B.  I will send them to a volunteer who will then open them and mark the discs A and B, listen to them and send then to you and you will in turn send them to another volunteer participant.  I will pay for all shipping.  The purpose is to pick out the best sounding CD of the two.  After the first volunteer sends the CD to you, I will email that  person as to which one of the CD's is cryoed.  That volunteer will be the "Control" and will let everyone know which CD is cryoed after the third participant has listened.  All fun and games at no expense to anyone 'cept me.

Who wants to play?

Dave

:wave:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2012, 01:29 am »
:wave:
OK, John.  You are the Control.  Who else?

I have no idea if this will work or not.... well maybe just a little..... :lol:   It will be a grand experiment for all of us.  Cut 'n' try, cut 'n' try...

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2012, 01:35 am »
I have no idea if this will work or not
From a metallurgical standpoint I know it works.  Whether it works to an audible effect on a Cd... :dunno:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2012, 01:38 am »
From a metallurgical standpoint I know it works.  Whether it works to an audible effect on a Cd... :dunno:
OK.  I pick you. 

We have our players.  Now all that has to happen is for Rclark to pick a CD.  If he doesn't, you or John can pick one and we'll still play.

Back to football night with the family..

Toodles,

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2012, 01:43 am »
OK.  I pick you. 

We have our players.  Now all that has to happen is for Rclark to pick a CD.  If he doesn't, you or John can pick one and we'll still play.

Back to football night with the family..

Toodles,

Dave
I don't own a Cd player but quite frankly, I have no interest trying it on a Cd.  Thanks anyway! 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2012, 02:08 am »
I don't own a Cd player but quite frankly, I have no interest trying it on a Cd.  Thanks anyway!
Bummer.  :(  I figured that you might be interested in hearing if there is a difference.  Empirical data and all of that.

Next?

Dave

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2012, 02:13 am »
interesting experiment :thumb:

The concept is great, but I should think that the number of required participants for a statistically meaningful result would get a little costly. I don't mind paying postage to send the CDs to the next participant in the test. It would be worth a few bucks for the fun of participation in a blind experiment. You seem confident. I am doubtful, but curious - and I don't mind being proven wrong.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2012, 03:01 am »

The concept is great, but I should think that the number of required participants for a statistically meaningful result would get a little costly. I don't mind paying postage to send the CDs to the next participant in the test. It would be worth a few bucks for the fun of participation in a blind experiment. You seem confident. I am doubtful, but curious - and I don't mind being proven wrong.
Ok, Kevin.  You be duh guy!

We'll see/hear if we need to add participants along the way.  I'm as curious as you are - perhaps about different things.

Hit me with a PM with your address and email addy.

<><

Dave

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2012, 03:18 am »
Might I make a suggestion.

Would be worth starting different threads for the topics listed after Dave's original post.  Would make it easier to follow the conversations and respond. 

cab

« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2012, 03:23 am »
Here's an idea: instead of playing the cd's, rip them to a computer file, then play them. Would be interested to see if there was then a difference due to cyro....

SoCalWJS

« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2012, 03:32 am »

Ditto on the postage here - especially if it's a CD I wanted to check out anyway.  :green:

dflee

« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2012, 03:36 am »
Man, this already beats the heck out of reality tv.
Only question is which holiday are we talkin about so I know
what Decorum to get out of the attic?

Don
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2012, 04:08 pm by dBe »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2012, 04:41 am »
Man, this already beats the hell out of reality tv.
Only question is which holiday are we talkin about so I know
what Decorum to get out of the attic?

Don
Hanramakwanzamas, I think.

:scratch:

Dave

srb

« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2012, 05:21 am »
To demonstrate the effects of cryo I will do this: tell me what CD you want to purchase as your next acquisition.  I will go out and buy two copies, leave them in the jackets and cryo one.

Had you chosen electrical conductors to challenge the possible improvement with cryo, I might have been interested.  But since you chose an optical disc as the test, I'm no longer interested and probably couldn't buy a product from you on that basis.  So thanks anyway, but for that reason, I'm out.

Steve