Here is an Uber Uber...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Here is an Uber Uber...
« on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:17 pm »
Built this one for a customer that thinks outside of the box and shipped it off to him with a Mongo that matches.  A combo of top mount NEMA receptacles and Powercons.  This is so he can determine for himself which he prefers.  The Powercon outs are 20A versions.  The Powercon inlet is the 32A/250V version.  I like it.  VERY beefy!!!

Dave

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Here is an Uber Uber...
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:25 pm »
WOW!  Holy Frijoles, Batman!  :o

bluemike

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2012, 01:05 am »
Wow ! that looks the business  :thumb:

fridays

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2012, 01:25 am »
I like the idea of being able to plug things from the top, much easier IMO

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2012, 01:25 am »
Very nice Dave! Looks fantastic (and impressive)  :thumb:

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2012, 01:59 am »
Built this one for a customer that thinks outside of the box and shipped it off to him with a Mongo that matches.  A combo of top mount NEMA receptacles and Powercons.  This is so he can determine for himself which he prefers.  The Powercon outs are 20A versions.  The Powercon inlet is the 32A/250V version.  I like it.  VERY beefy!!!

Dave

Cool, Dave!!! I'm extremely curious on the sonic attributes of the PowerCon connectors. They are very impressive, well built and "hot connection" capable. A great way to eliminate a sonic degrading switch without causing external arcing!

Please keep me posted!

Keep up your superb work, brother!

Cheers,
Pete

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2012, 02:37 pm »
************** They are very impressive, well built and "hot connection" capable. A great way to eliminate a sonic degrading switch without causing external arcing!
Cheers,
Pete

I too think that the PowerCon is a great connector, much better that the IEC connector.
But it's definitely not a "hot connection" capable connector!

From the Neutrik catalog:

It is conceived as a non-standardized 3 pole connection system without breaking capacity to serve the needs of high power distribution systems

http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/powercon/powercon-32-a/nac3fc-hc

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2012, 03:32 pm »

I too think that the PowerCon is a great connector, much better that the IEC connector.

It is conceived as a non-standardized 3 pole connection system without breaking capacity to serve the needs of high power distribution systems

I used the newer Powercon True1 which is a little less capacity at 16A but allows it. From their site:

The powerCON TRUE1 is a locking 16 A true mains connector. It replaces appliance couplers wherever a very rugged solution in combination with a locking device is needed in order to guarantee a safe power connection. The powerCON TRUE1 is a connector with breaking capacity (CBC), i.e. it can be connected or disconnected under load or live.

http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/powercon/powercon/powercon-true1/

I love them and really like what Dave did here to offer both on the same unit, but still keeping it compact. I sure wish my UberBuss had them!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2012, 04:15 pm »

I used the newer Powercon True1 which is a little less capacity at 16A but allows it. From their site:

The powerCON TRUE1 is a locking 16 A true mains connector. It replaces appliance couplers wherever a very rugged solution in combination with a locking device is needed in order to guarantee a safe power connection. The powerCON TRUE1 is a connector with breaking capacity (CBC), i.e. it can be connected or disconnected under load or live.

http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/powercon/powercon/powercon-true1/

I love them and really like what Dave did here to offer both on the same unit, but still keeping it compact. I sure wish my UberBuss had them!

The True! is a great connector.  Like em.  I like all of the Neutrik connectors.  Send your Uber back to me and I'll add it.

On another note - one of the vendor catalogs that I read listed the 32A as hot-swappable.  I told Pete.  Just proves we can't believe everything we read.

Dave

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2012, 02:12 am »

Thanks for the clarification... my bad!

Pete

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2012, 02:19 am »
Thanks for the clarification... my bad!

Pete
Actually it was mine.  I believed a sales flyer from a vendor ( or read it wrong, whatever) and didn't do due diligence.

Thanks, Speed  :thumb:

Dave