Can an OPPO BDP-83 Play Full Resolution DVD-A via Coax?

mathgeek97

According to the manual,
"Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, full resolution audio from DVDAudio
discs cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen
to DVD-Audio in full resolution, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections."

So, if I download some high-res 2-channel tracks, throw them on a DVD-Audio, what will I get going into my DAC from the BDP-83?  Obviously, if I'm making my own DVD-A, there shouldn't be any copyright flags set.  Should I just give up and send high-res from the optical output of my MacBook Pro?

ctviggen

Re: Can an OPPO BDP-83 Play Full Resolution DVD-A via Coax?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2010, 06:28 pm »
I believe you get a downsampled version of the file. That is, something with smaller sampling frequency and perhaps bit depth. 

Mike Nomad

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2010, 06:41 pm »
Depends on how you want to define Hi-Rez. If we are talking 24/192, there has never been (to my knowledge) a consumer grade disc player that will pass 24/192 on a digital out.

If we are talking 24/96, that is an entirely different story. Some manufacturers will let you (Pioneer), others (Sony) will not. Previous Oppo decks have passed 24/96.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2010, 07:34 pm »
Yes, the Oppo will pass 24/192 DVD-Audio (even though it should be protected PPCM) via the digital outs.  I have a thread elsewhere that talks about it; Oppo states (in a few emails, one as early as Jan 2008 commenting on the then 980 ) that although the mediatek (I think that's the chip) is supposed to down rez it to 16 bit to protect the DVD-A standard it doesn't with this batch.  (make sure you have HDMI off, resolution set to at least 720P and LPCM set to 192k).

However, your comments "So, if I download some high-res 2-channel tracks, throw them on a DVD-Audio" is confusing.  IF you download anything but a MLP ISO image you won't have true DVD-Audio you'll have PCM (FLAC, wav, etc) which can be burnt to a DVD, but it ain't DVD-Audio.  It's hirez, but it's not DVD-Audio (just making sure we have nomenclature here).  If you find ISO images that are true MLP DVD-A rips you can do so with DVDFab 7 or Imageburn if you know the layer break, etc (via the corresponding INI file, etc). 

mathgeek97

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2010, 08:21 pm »
ted_b,
Thanks for the info.  So I set the HDMI audio to "off," video resolution to at least 720p, and set LPCM to 192K?  (I wasn't clear on the "HDMI off" statement.)
As far as me burning things to DVD-Audio, I meant downloaded some high-res FLAC, either 24/96 or 192/96, and use http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net to turn it into a DVD-Audio ISO image.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2010, 08:28 pm »
ted_b,
Thanks for the info.  So I set the HDMI audio to "off," video resolution to at least 720p, and set LPCM to 192K?  (I wasn't clear on the "HDMI off" statement.)
As far as me burning things to DVD-Audio, I meant downloaded some high-res FLAC, either 24/96 or 192/96, and use http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net to turn it into a DVD-Audio ISO image.

The 24/96 stuff can be burnt to any standard DVD.  The higher rez needs a DVD-Audio ISO, yes.  I don't use that program but assume it works fine.