Firmware Updates - V25

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Firmware Updates - V25
« on: 26 May 2017, 06:16 pm »
Starting a new Firmware Update topic (sticky)  for the V25 preamp controller board

We've gone through a couple of  firmware updates since original release of the V25 with initial version 1.0.0.3. 
Version 1.0.0.4 fixed a fairly egregious bug with the autocal logic which kept erasing old cal data.
Version 1.0.0.5 provides a more elegant way of turning preamp off via the remote
A few other minor bug fixes mixed in with those updates.

An updated firmware ChangeLog can be found in our new online Product Documentation
We're in the process of moving/updating our old Product Docs into this new system.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Firmware Updates - V25
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2017, 07:28 pm »
Version 1.0.0.6 firmware for the V25 is now available. This is mostly relevant to 2 or more V25 boards in a master-slave configuration including balanced audio systems. At this point the V25 is looking very solid and we are past the critical bug fix stage that's typical after the release of new hardware. The focus going forward will be on adding new planned capabilities.

How do you know what firmware version you have? The firmware version will flash briefly on the display when when power is applied (but not when you turn it on normally). 

Updated firmware and ChangeLog can be found in our new online Product Documentation

New - 2 way serial data link is now operational between master and slave boards so it's now ok to connect master J7.TX1 & J7.RX1 to slave board's J7.RX2 & J7.TX2 respectively. Prior to 1.0.0.6 making the connection to slave.J7.TX2 would cause master board to stop working properly. (relevant to multi-board/balanced configurations only)

Fix - Input switching via encoder was not getting through to attached slave boards. (relevant to multi-board/balanced configurations only).

Fix - All boards were defaulting to 6 available inputs regardless of how many inputs were actually installed and available. This remains the default for DIY V25 boards regardless of installed inputs but V25 boards installed in finished preamp products now have defined input # limit.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2017, 08:38 pm »
Version 1.0.0.7 firmware for the V25 is now available and can be found in our new online Product Documentation

Importance - This release fixes some minor bugs related to muting, volume limits and and changing inputs

Fix – Muting via Encoder press/release was immediately unmuting once volume ramped down to zero rather than staying at zero and remaining muted.

Fix – Max volume limiter on turn-on or input change was not limiting the volume to the user adjustable max limit value

Fix – When changing input the volume was not changing to the volume level last associated with the input when it was previously selected

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2017, 12:00 pm »
Version 1.0.1.1 firmware for the V25 is now available and can be found in our new online Product Documentation

Importance - This update is only relevant if you want to use the Mono Switch feature

New – Added controls for Mono feature – double press Enter button toggles mono on/off. User must press enter button on remote 2 times in a row within 1 second to toggle mono mode. Requires presence of an LDR module in the V25’s mono switch socket. If this feature doesn’t work in your V25 preamp after uploading this firmware revision there’s about a 99.999% chance your preamp does not have a mono switch LDR installed.

Tweak – Minor mods to certain timer routines to improve overall operation

More info in this AC post - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151613.0

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2017, 09:17 pm »
Version 1012  This update makes numerous changes to how adjustable impedance is handled. Info on this update can be found in the online documentation via this link:  https://www.tortugaaudio.com/support/product-documentation/
Go to section:  General Information -> Firmware Updates -> V25 Firmware

Importance  Release 1012 represents a major change to how adjustable impedance is handled. Upgrading to 1012 will cause your preamp to erase and reset all existing impedance settings and calibration data followed by automatically running calibration at the new fixed default of setting #1 @ 20k. The update will not be completed until this calibration step is completed. Please allow up to 15 minutes to allow the updating, reseting and calibration process to complete. The unit will reboot and restart after completion. Try not to turn of power or otherwise interrupt this process or else it will repeat from the beginning until allowed to fully complete.

Details
1) Impedance settings increased from 5 to 10.
2) Impedance setting #1 is now fixed at the default of 20k and can no longer be changed by user. Only settings 2-10 can be setup and modified by user.
3) The display will now blink when user selects an impedance setting number and level combination that has not already been run through calibration.
4) Switching the unit to any setting/level combination that is not calibrated will result in no output from the preamp.
5) Changing an impedance setting/level will not be saved or go into effect until after calibration is run. Press the Enter/Center button on remote after completing a change and then proceed to run calibration as the next step.  It's up to the user to ensure calibration is run as the final step. If calibration is not run immediately after making a setting/level change, the unit will revert to last known valid setting/level. If no other settings/levels have been configured the unit will revert to default #1/20k.
6) As before, each setting/level change must be done individually and then processed through calibration to become effective and/or available. User can not make multiple simultaneous changes to settings/levels and run them all through calibration together.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2017, 10:06 pm »
Version 1016 This update addresses a couple of changes in how responsive the Apple remote is to auto-repeat and also disambiguates (great word!) how to turn off the preamp with the remote.

Importance:  Minor improvements if operabiliity of controls

Details:
* Change (auto-repeat) - The faster Apple remote auto-repeat response introduced with 1014 has been slowed down for all buttons that can auto-repeat except for the Raise & Lower buttons.

* Change (turning off preamp) - The old way of turning off the preamp by press/holding the Menu button has been removed. The reason for this is the Menu button was serving two functions - toggling the mute status (brief press), and turning off the preamp (a longer press/hold). Too often this led to ambiguous results. Starting with 1016 the Menu button is now solely for muting/unmuting the preamp.

Turning off the preamp is now an unambiguous 2-step process:
1) Mute the preamp by briefly pressing the Menu(Mute) button
2) When the preamp is muted (volume @ 0), press the Lower button to turn it off.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2017, 02:33 pm »
Version 1021: This update encompasses versions 1017 throuh 1021 which were not posted individually since the last update to version 1016.

Importance: This update corrects a few minor bugs and generally improves smoothness and responsiveness of the preamp to control intputs from the remote.

Details:

* Fix - Corrected problem with impedance setting #10 that prevented info associated with this setting from being initiated and/or stored properly. This corrects a problem that was introduced with the major update in rev 1012.
* Fix - Corrected a long standing problem where the Apple remote would fire off a repeat command too quickly causing double-hits on some commands depending on how quickly user pressed/released the remote buttons. As a result of this fix the responsiveness of the Apple remote should proved to be smoother and predictable for both single button presses and also for button hold/repeats.
* Tweak - Fine turned interrupt priorities for remote, encoder and internal timers
* Tweak - Eliminated special repeat command function
* Tweak - simplified code for _vref_get and _vref_save in cal.c
* Tweak - Added interrupt priorities to IR input, timers and encoder leg inputs to improve reliability of remote/encoder input response
* Tweak - Modified turn off logic so that user doesn't have to wait until volume has ramped down to zero to press the lower button which shuts off the preamp. Pressing Mute/Lower in a rapid 2 button sequence will now shut down the preamp.
* Fix - Corrected bug introduced with Rev 1017 where updated volume was being displayed incorrectly during fast input switching
* Fix - Volume was not being updated with volume level previously associated with input during fast input switching

Firmware update file/info can be found here: https://www.tortugaaudio.com/support/product-documentation/
Look under General Info - > Firmware Update -> V25 Firmware

Jens

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2017, 02:54 pm »
Hi Morten,

Update 1021 sounds like it will solve some of the 'nervous behaviour' problems that I have experienced (e.g. difficulty in adjusting volume in single steps).

However, I have a strange remote sensor related issue: In our house we now use LED bulbs everywhere instead of old-fashioned glow bulbs. If the Tortuga is exposed to light from an LED bulb (400 lumen), it starts acting erratically, muting and unmuting by itself and doing other stuff as well. This happens even though the bulb is 14 feet away. Do you think 1021 will solve this, too?

Fortunately, my Tortuga is in a cupboard behind a wooden door (controlled by an IR blaster), so it does not usually 'see' the LED bulb, but since it's in the same cupboard as my Oppo player, I have to be careful when I open the door to put on a new CD.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Jens

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2018, 10:21 pm »
Hi Morten,

Update 1021 sounds like it will solve some of the 'nervous behaviour' problems that I have experienced (e.g. difficulty in adjusting volume in single steps).

However, I have a strange remote sensor related issue: In our house we now use LED bulbs everywhere instead of old-fashioned glow bulbs. If the Tortuga is exposed to light from an LED bulb (400 lumen), it starts acting erratically, muting and unmuting by itself and doing other stuff as well. This happens even though the bulb is 14 feet away. Do you think 1021 will solve this, too?

Fortunately, my Tortuga is in a cupboard behind a wooden door (controlled by an IR blaster), so it does not usually 'see' the LED bulb, but since it's in the same cupboard as my Oppo player, I have to be careful when I open the door to put on a new CD.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Jens

I have LED bulbs everywhere with no ill effects. Go figure. The worst offender in terms of IR noise are older plasma TVs.

The current firmware (as of  rev 1021) has 2 different versions of remote identification code/logic;  one for the Apple remote, and a second for another simpler legacy remote. It's very hard to randomly excite the Apple remote code because it requires 3 unique identifiers in sequence before it will respond to command code. The legacy remote has only 1 unique identifier and is far easier to falsely trigger.

I suspect the solution is to cut out the legacy remote code altogether once and for all. I'll plan on doing that in a future firmware update. Try as I might I've not been able to simulate a really noisy IR environment so testing is difficult. Your feedback will be helpful.

Jens

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2018, 05:12 pm »
Thanks, Morten!

I think you may be right about the 'old' remote codes. Commands will simply be executed if light is the 'right' frequency or powerful enough.

It would also explain the second problem I am experiencing: The Tortuga executes a command when I send a command to my Oppo which is in the same cupboard. The command executed by the Tortuga is usually a 'copy' of the last 'real' command that was sent to it, no matter what command I send to the Oppo.

All infrared signals in the cupboard are coming from my Logitec IR blaster, which is a standard Harmony blaster that converts the RF signals from my Harmony remote to infrared. It's pretty powerful, so it's likely that the sheer power of it excites the 'old' remote codes in the Tortuga. I've used the blaster for quite a few years without problems, and my Oppo is quite happy with it, so it's probably not at fault.

Anyway, I'll run the firmware update as soon as possible and let you know how it goes :)

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2018, 02:40 pm »
The Tortuga executes a command when I send a command to my Oppo which is in the same cupboard. The command executed by the Tortuga is usually a 'copy' of the last 'real' command that was sent to it, no matter what command I send to the Oppo.

That is a potentially very useful bit of insight/feedback. The NEC IR protocol used by Apple and many other remotes includes a generic repeat command sequence. The repeat command contains no specific command per se, it just says to the receiving entity..."repeat the last actual command received whatever it may have been".

A potential problem with the NEC repeat command is it could be coming from any remote using the NEC protocol. That may be what's happening with the Oppo. The Tortuga preamp may be interpreting the Oppo IR signal as a repeat. To prevent this from happening there has to be a time  limit after which the most recent command is cleared and all repeat commands are ignored.

I'm going to examine the firmware and see if this is being done properly and if not implement a fix. Jens, you may get to be the beta tester to confirm if this resolves the problem.

Jens

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2018, 12:44 pm »
No problem - I'll be happy to test!

I hope I will have time to upload the 1021 this evening and will let you know if this changes anything  :wink:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jan 2018, 02:23 pm »
No problem - I'll be happy to test!

I hope I will have time to upload the 1021 this evening and will let you know if this changes anything  ;)

Please hold off until I have 1022 ready. I will email you a copy of 1022 to try out.

Jens

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2018, 05:40 pm »
Oups - didn't see your post until after I uploaded 1021.

However, it has taken care of the 'skittish' behaviour, and so far, the Tortuga has not reacted to the Oppo commands :)

Neither does it seem to take any notice of the LED bulbs anymore :)

It seems that 1021 has taken the 'hyper-sensitivity' out of it!

Doesn't mean I won't be happy to try out 1022 ...

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2018, 02:54 pm »
Version 1022:   This update further hardens the V25 against responding to non-Tortuga remotes or to randomly generated infrared noise

Importance:   This is a minor release and is a refinement of changes made in version 1020 which appears to be very effective in stopping the preamp from responding to other remotes and IR noise.

Details:

* Change - Eliminated support for Tortuga Audio legacy remote. Code was responding to input from various non-Tortuga remotes that use the NEC protocol and same remote ID/codes
* Tweak - Added remote repeat command timeout that clears repeat command buffer to avoid false repeats in response to non-Tortuga remotes that use the NEC protocol
* Fix - Corrected problem with impedance setting #10 that prevented info associated with this setting from being initiated and/or stored properly. This corrects a problem that was introduced with the major update in rev 1012.

Version 1021:   This update corrects a specific bug in impedance setting #10  (this and all prior updates are rolled up into 1022 above)

Importance:   This is a minor release and is only relevant to users who are actively using all 10 impedance settings 

Details:

Firmware update file/info can be found here: https://www.tortugaaudio.com/support/product-documentation/
Look under General Info - > Firmware Update -> V25 Firmware

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jun 2018, 02:33 pm »
Version 206

Firmware for the V25 for the new OLED display is now available for download.

With the release of the OLED display, firmware versioning has changed from the earlier 4 digit (1029) to the new 3 digit (206). It kind of makes sense if you just ignore the "0" in the old 4 digit version.

Of note, the latest V25 firmware now works with both the new OLED display as well as the old 7-segment displays. However, if  you upgrade to the newer "OLED" firmware please be aware that the roles of the Menu and Play(mode) buttons on the Apple remote have been switched going forward. This was done in order to have a uniform control scheme for both the displays.

Version 1029

This is the last firmware version that will be posted and left available for download that supports the V25 but only with the 7-segment display. All future firmware updates will support both the new OLED display as well as the original 7-segment display.

Details on V25 firmware versions including their download can be found here: https://www.tortugaaudio.com/support/product-documentation/?section=v25-firmware-updatesdownloads

kernelbob

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jun 2018, 05:12 pm »
Hi Morten,

I always thought that the Menu and Play button functions were backward, but (for once) didn't share my thoughts.  Good move.

Robert

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2018, 07:10 pm »
Version 209 firmware for the V25 for the new OLED display is now available for download.

Here's the link: https://www.tortugaaudio.com/support/product-documentation/?section=v25-firmware-updatesdownloads

This is the 9th update of the newer OLED firmware and while it's not unusual to have several updates soon after a major firmware release my sense is version 209 together with the previous updates represents a good stable build that resolves all current known issues.

With this release we correct one particular egregious bug of omission where the audio outputs were not being shut off during calibration. This could cause trouble during calibration and lead to recommending disconnecting on interconnects prior to starting calibration. With this bug fixed, disconnecting interconnects should no longer be needed to get good calibration results.

Lastly, keep in mind that the version 209 firmware is intended to work with both the old 7-segment displays as well as the new OLED display.  :thumb:

Jens

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jul 2018, 04:44 pm »
Hi Morten,

I got the OLED display installed today without any problems. It's really a neat display :D

It's obvious that a lot of thought went into the menus and it works very well indeed!

The OLED display certainly makes it a lot easier to control the Tortuga and to know what exactly you are doing :)

I discovered one small and insignificant glitch in the firmware, and you probably know already: If setting maxVol to e.g. 35, the Tortuga does not adhere to this, but adds 1 step. So, if I have volume at e.g. 45 and then change input, volume is set to 36. Quite funny, it seems to have a bit of a will of its own.

It is no problem at all, I just thought I'd let you  :wink:

Cheers,

Jens

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #19 on: 20 Jul 2018, 02:47 pm »
Hi Morten,

I got the OLED display installed today without any problems. It's really a neat display :D

It's obvious that a lot of thought went into the menus and it works very well indeed!

The OLED display certainly makes it a lot easier to control the Tortuga and to know what exactly you are doing :)

I discovered one small and insignificant glitch in the firmware, and you probably know already: If setting maxVol to e.g. 35, the Tortuga does not adhere to this, but adds 1 step. So, if I have volume at e.g. 45 and then change input, volume is set to 36. Quite funny, it seems to have a bit of a will of its own.

It is no problem at all, I just thought I'd let you  ;)

Cheers,

Jens

Hi Jens,

Thank you for the positive feedback and letting me know about the +1 glitch. The OLED firmware involved a significant amount of new code plus rewriting of existing code so not surprising to find a few minor glitches that got by us despite our best efforts.

Cheers,
Morten  :thumb: