The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

Bigfish

Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #560 on: 7 Oct 2010, 01:51 pm »
The Tranquility DAC doesn't support it.

???

A good friend of mine and I have had the same experience with the Tranquility and Pure Music in Hog Mode.  Try Pure Music in Hog Mode and report back that the the sound does not improve!

Ken

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #561 on: 7 Oct 2010, 02:08 pm »
The Tranquility DAC doesn't support it.

Thanks
Bil

Sure it does.  Just pick internal output in Audio Midi (i.e NOT Tranquility) and close it, then set up hog mode exclusivity in PM's advanced preferences, and hit the restart button at the bottom of that screen. 

bhobba

« Reply #562 on: 7 Oct 2010, 02:10 pm »
A good friend of mine and I have had the same experience with the Tranquility and Pure Music in Hog Mode.  Try Pure Music in Hog Mode and report back that the the sound does not improve!

Scratching head.  It is grayed out when using the Tranquility - you can't select it and it gives a message it's not supported. If you know how let me know.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #563 on: 7 Oct 2010, 02:23 pm »
Sure it does.  Just pick internal output in Audio Midi (i.e NOT Tranquility) and close it, then set up hog mode exclusivity in PM's advanced preferences, and hit the restart button at the bottom of that screen.

No longer scratching head.  That worked.  And I think it does sound better.  Slightly less sibilant to my ears.

Thanks
Bill

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #564 on: 7 Oct 2010, 02:32 pm »
The Tranquility works fine with Hog mode enabled via Pure Music. It does not need "support" from our dac.

Please consider thinking of "Hog mode" as a computer program's functionality on your computer (in this case, Pure Music's program function). So the computer model and operating system defines whether or not it's "supported" and has nothing to do with the dac for "support". We have plenty of customers using Hog Mode at this very moment  :green:

Eric Hider - dB Audio Labs

bhobba

« Reply #565 on: 7 Oct 2010, 02:57 pm »
The Tranquility works fine with Hog mode enabled via Pure Music. It does not need "support" from our dac.

It sure does. The trick is to select the internal sound source rather than the USB driver.  If you don't it grays it out and says it is not supported.  Not only slightly less sibilant but a bit smoother as well.

Thanks
Bill

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #566 on: 7 Oct 2010, 03:13 pm »
Yes, the process of selecting and implementing "hog mode" is well documented in Rob's PDF that comes with the download...but as card-carrying audiophiles we seldom "read the manual".   :)  Make sure not only to set the internal audio in Audio midi, and not only to choose the DAC driver in the pulldown on the PM advanced preferences page, but also check off the hog mode exclusivity box on that page too, then restart via the bottom button. 

Audioclyde

« Reply #567 on: 7 Oct 2010, 03:16 pm »
My Signature Tranquility hasn't arrived yet (hope Eric has received the check), and I already use Pure Music (in Hog mode), but just to be clear:  I leave my audio midi (and Pure Music) settings at 24/96 (or whatever), and the Tranquility will play my high res tracks?

Thanks!

bside123

« Reply #568 on: 7 Oct 2010, 03:17 pm »
Just downloaded Pure Music.  Man in my system does it sound good.  So much more vivid detailed and alive....

I've down loaded and tried the demo version and agree with other posters. The Pure Music sounds better.
So, are folks buying the software for the full $129, or are there discounts codes, coupons or specials for AudioCircle members? Thanks.

Bigfish

« Reply #569 on: 7 Oct 2010, 07:37 pm »
I've down loaded and tried the demo version and agree with other posters. The Pure Music sounds better.
So, are folks buying the software for the full $129, or are there discounts codes, coupons or specials for AudioCircle members? Thanks.

I purchased Pure Music in or around March and I had to pay $129.00.  I believe the latest upgrade downloaded last week - version 1.63.  Unfortunately, I have not seen any discounts offered.

Ken

bunnyma357

« Reply #570 on: 7 Oct 2010, 08:15 pm »
I purchased Pure Music in or around March and I had to pay $129.00.  I believe the latest upgrade downloaded last week - version 1.63.  Unfortunately, I have not seen any discounts offered.

Ken

I think in the past Channel D have offered discounts around RMAF, don't know if they will again. I've had Pure Vinyl for a while and really love it.

Jim C

Bigfish

« Reply #571 on: 8 Oct 2010, 12:23 am »
Yes, the process of selecting and implementing "hog mode" is well documented in Rob's PDF that comes with the download...but as card-carrying audiophiles we seldom "read the manual".   :)  Make sure not only to set the internal audio in Audio midi, and not only to choose the DAC driver in the pulldown on the PM advanced preferences page, but also check off the hog mode exclusivity box on that page too, then restart via the bottom button. 

Ted:

Thank you for posting the detailed instructions to set-up Hog Mode.  I had a friend walk me through it months ago and I forgot the steps.

Ken

bhobba

« Reply #572 on: 8 Oct 2010, 01:28 am »
Thank you for posting the detailed instructions to set-up Hog Mode.  I had a friend walk me through it months ago and I forgot the steps.

Yes Ted thanks for posting that.  And I have noticed that Hog mode definitely sounds better.  It goes beyond better sibilance - it removes a slight edginess it had before.  Just reacquainting myself with Carol King Tapestry - man does it sound good in hog mode.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #573 on: 8 Oct 2010, 10:09 am »
Hi All

One thing I forgot to mention is to get hog mode working I needed to untick the device validation box.  I have since read in the manual this is not recommended.  It is suggested in the manual that if you select something other than USB output in the midi interface (I selected the internal device) then there is no need to do this.  However this is not what I found.  Does anyone know how to get around this or even if it is a problem.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #574 on: 9 Oct 2010, 01:46 am »
Hi Again All

I am still having problems with hog mode.  It still sounds great but not only do I have the problem to get it working I have to turn strict validation off which is not recommended but now when I fire it up it reverts to not playing through my dac but through my tv.  This is rather annoying but even apart from that it suggests some deeper underlying problem.  Anyone got any ideas?  Or should I really contact Prue Music support about it?

Thanks
Bill

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #575 on: 9 Oct 2010, 03:12 am »
Bill,
Hog mode is not enacted if the DAC is playing through your tv.  All other Tranquility owners are playing Hog mode fine, I think (as per Eric and others).  Your issue is somewhere else IMO. 

I'd start over, make very sure Audio Midi has your input and output set to internal (not Tranquility), make sure you see and pick the Tranquility driver in the PM advanced preference screen pulldown, check off the exclusivity box below it, and then make sure you do the auto-restart of PM by choosing the large button at the bottom of said Advanced  pref screen (my red circles).  if possible do a screen capture for us.

bhobba

« Reply #576 on: 9 Oct 2010, 04:19 am »
Hog mode is not enacted if the DAC is playing through your tv.  All other Tranquility owners are playing Hog mode fine, I think (as per Eric and others).  Your issue is somewhere else IMO.

I don't know what's going on but it did for me - with hog mode checked it played through my TV. 

I'd start over, make very sure Audio Midi has your input and output set to internal (not Tranquility), make sure you see and pick the Tranquility driver in the PM advanced preference screen pulldown, check off the exclusivity box below it, and then make sure you do the auto-restart of PM by choosing the large button at the bottom of said Advanced  pref screen (my red circles).  if possible do a screen capture for us.

I have done that until the cows come home - at least 10 times and probably a lot more.  I have set Midi to the internal speaker.  Sometimes it will let me check both the strict validation and Hog Mode - and sometimes not.  But regardless when it restarts it never has both boxes checked - Hog Mode is checked off and grayed out so I can not change it.  To get it to stay I need to uncheck strict validation.  However when it fires up the USB DAC in preferences is no longer the output - it is my TV and I need to change that.  Only if Hog Mode is checked does it fire up defaulting to my TV.

It does not stop Hog mode from working - it is simply is a bit of a kludge so maybe others using the Tranquility simply put up with it.  Don't know.  I am hoping some others using PM with the Tranquility and the latest Mac Mini can chime in.

Thanks
Bill 

wilsynet

« Reply #577 on: 10 Oct 2010, 05:15 am »
I've had the Tranquility SE for a few days now.  It has been nice, the kind of natural, laid back presentation I expect a good NOS DAC to have.  I confess that while it has been utterly without fatigue to these ears (a very good thing for me indeed), up until now it has not really stood out in any special way.

Based only on Eric Hider's strong recommendation, I picked up a 2010 unibody Mac Mini today.  I also turned off spotlight, the IR controller, made sure the DAC was on its own USB controller, got Pure Music installed, configured hog mode etc.

My conclusion?

Mac Mini + Pure Music + Essential USB + Tranquility SE is really, really good -- an extraordinary and superior solution.  This audiophool has seen quite a bit of gear go through his home over the past three years now, and it's the very best he's heard.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2010, 08:00 am by wilsynet »

bhobba

« Reply #578 on: 10 Oct 2010, 06:31 am »
Mac Mini + Pure Music + Essential USB + Tranquility SE is really, really good; an extraordinary and superior solution.  This audiophool has seen quite a bit of gear go through his home over the past three years now, and it's the very best he's heard.

That is exactly what I found out.  Unless fed the way you said above it is rather ho hum.  But when it is fed correctly watch out.  It is simply the best digital I have owned and very close to the best I have ever heard.  It fact it may be the best.  I will hopefully be able to take it down to the person I knows place who has the better DAC to check it out tomorrow.

Thanks
Bill

2bigears

« Reply #579 on: 10 Oct 2010, 12:27 pm »
 :D  it's going to sound better ???? i still have the mini-tranq dac in 'hohum' set-up.i thought it sounded really good.will have to get the pure music going .do you really need to take out the IR controller ?? does that mean no ipod for a remote.???? :D