The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #520 on: 5 Oct 2010, 02:15 am »
For what it's worth, I've not found more elaborate power cords to help the Tranquility either. I tried a couple, but I went back to a $12 Volex because the others didn't improve things (they actually degraded the sound in one way or another). On my amps and preamp the nicer power cables can help, but I think that Eric has engineered the filtering on the Tranquility power supply to need little in the way of help from the power cable (e.g. a lot of cables provide a filtering effect).
Your findings mimic ours here in the Burque Group.  We've tried different cables on the Tranquility and though they sound different, they do not sound better.  The power supply design on the Tranquility makes the effects of aftermarket cables mostly ineffective.  It is my understanding that the Signature is going to have a different power supply topology.

Dave

TomS

« Reply #521 on: 5 Oct 2010, 02:32 am »
So is the "Signature" version the new higher-rez DAC or is it a decked out version of the Tranquility?

bhobba

« Reply #522 on: 5 Oct 2010, 02:45 am »
So is the "Signature" version the new higher-rez DAC or is it a decked out version of the Tranquility?

No - it's a better version of their standard 44.1/16 bit DAC.

Thanks
Bill

mamba315

« Reply #523 on: 5 Oct 2010, 04:46 am »
Does anybody know if the standard Tranquility will be upgradable to the Signature?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #524 on: 5 Oct 2010, 05:18 am »
The signature version is not high rez, but has a new analogue section (and possibly beefed up power supply).  You can not upgrade from standard to signature as the pcb is different.  But Eric said you can trade in your standard Tranquility for full purchase price and pay the difference.  Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #525 on: 5 Oct 2010, 01:01 pm »

Hi guys,

I will be providing an overview of our new the Signature Edition Tranquility DAC and all of its associated details later this afternoon.  :thumb:

dB Audio Labs - Eric Hider

saisunil

« Reply #526 on: 5 Oct 2010, 01:13 pm »
Even better - if it was on your website ...  :thumb:
Hi guys,

I will be providing an overview of our new the Signature Edition Tranquility DAC and all of its associated details later this afternoon.  :thumb:

dB Audio Labs - Eric Hider

mamba315

« Reply #527 on: 6 Oct 2010, 01:06 am »
Is it afternoon yet?   :D

My Virtue amp is in for upgrades, so I'm feeding my Tranquility into my ancient Logitech 2.1 speakers.  $2000 transport/DAC into $50 speakers  :lol:  gotta say,  I still hear the smooth and detailed sonics I've come to associate with the Tranquility.

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #528 on: 6 Oct 2010, 04:52 am »
Hi guys, although we planned on announcing the Tranquility Signature Edition at RMAF...questions are now being asked so here is a brief preliminary overview -

The Tranquility Signature Edition dac is our latest "top shelf" of our Tranquility NOS dac series.

Circuit enhancements: The Signature Edition is based around the same original dac chipset as utilized within the Tranquility but with MANY added enhancements. The interior circuit board and component layouts are entirely new. We've doubled the size of the power supply and added associated capacitance, enhanced the bridge with new rectifiers, tweaked the regulator circuits and further refined the electrical parameters throughout. MOST importantly, we have incorporated an innovative circuit that is BRAND NEW TO HIGH END Audio! It is situated just after the dac chipset and has a serious impact on improving a dac's inner most resolution. We are patenting it too! Don't expect to see this refinement in any other digital product anytime soon  :rules:

Sonic attributes: As compared to the original Tranquility you will hear improvements to all music characterizations throughout the entire frequency range. The smallest characterizations that define the "inner soul" of music are more readily apparent. Some would label this as "more transparent sounding'" but we think the newfound character of this dac is something very unique to digital audio. Sound staging is also further focused. Dynamic contrasts are also more profound particularly in the lowest frequency registers. Can we say over the top dynamics from an NOS design :o Sophistication and delicacy are at levels that bring us even closer to our own absolute reference, analog mater tapes.

Exterior : the Tranquility Signature Edition dac will have a singular USB input just like the original Tranquility. The outputs will be RCA too. So, the casework is identical to the base Tranquility, except the front facia has additional milled writing after the word Tranquility saying; "Signature Edition" By using the identical case as the original Tranquility, we get to offer you guys this next level Uber design at a more reasonable price.

Pricing: Tranquility Signature Edition has a price of $2395 MSRP but initially launching the Signature with a special introductory $500 off sale of $1895. This introductory pricing already includes the $200 off AC discount. So, $1895 is your best price. It will be offered at this price for a VERY limited time too :wink:

"Trade-up program" : As good measure to our loyal Tranquility customers; who have supported us from the very beginning! We are offering them a "full purchase value" trade-up of your original Tranquility dac for just the difference in price between what you paid and the $1895 price. Example_ If you paid $1295 for your original dac, plus $600 gets you into the Signature dac. Hence the "full value" of your original purchase toward the Signature's current price. This applies ONLY to current Tranquility customers who have purchased their dac directly from dB Audio Labs. Trade-up dacs cannot have been modified or damaged. This trade-up program will be offered for a very limited time and is non-negotiable.

Open box special program ; As a good measure to those who want a killer deal on the original Tranquility, we will be offering a $995 deal for the dacs we receive on trade-in. All will be tested and re-certified with a full 3 year warranty. These deals will be limited to our supply of trade-ins and once those are gone the unique deal will be gone too. If you are interested in this offer I STRONGLY suggest you contact me directly to get on the waiting list. It will be a limited supply indeed.

Thanks again to everyone for your wonderful support here on AC. We are seriously excited to meet many of you at RMAF...and even more excited to let you hear the new Signature Edition Tranquility DAC  :thumb:

Eric Hider - dB Audio Labs

mamba315

« Reply #529 on: 6 Oct 2010, 05:54 am »
When will the Signature become available for those who wish to trade up?

wilsynet

« Reply #530 on: 6 Oct 2010, 06:07 am »
Just got one.  I haven't heard the original Tranquility but Eric said the SE is more resolving.  My only concern was whether the increased resolution would induce listener fatigue in some way.

I'm happy to report that right out of the box, not a trace of glare or harshness, no listener fatigue whatsoever.

highfilter

« Reply #531 on: 6 Oct 2010, 06:25 am »
I just ordered a Signature Tranquility DAC along with the new Signature USB Essential Cable. I'll be comparing it directly with my current DAC, the W4S DAC-2. I'm very excited to get it and get listening. Talked with Eric on the phone and he's a great guy and we're lucky to have a guy like this in this industry.  :)

mamba315

« Reply #532 on: 6 Oct 2010, 06:59 am »
A new SE USB cable too?  Tell me it's more flexible  :D that's my only gripe with the regular Essential

highfilter

« Reply #533 on: 6 Oct 2010, 07:03 am »
A new SE USB cable too?  Or is it the regular Essential cable?

It's an updated version called the Signature Edition, like the new Signature Edition Tranquility DAC. I have the original Essential USB Cable right now and Eric told me about a new version and says it is a little more refined and smoother.  :drool:

mamba315

« Reply #534 on: 6 Oct 2010, 07:04 am »
What is price on the new cable?

jhm731

« Reply #535 on: 6 Oct 2010, 07:18 am »
WOW! Wailea on Wednesdays

bhobba

« Reply #536 on: 6 Oct 2010, 08:24 am »
I just ordered a Signature Tranquility DAC along with the new Signature USB Essential Cable. I'll be comparing it directly with my current DAC, the W4S DAC-2. I'm very excited to get it and get listening. Talked with Eric on the phone and he's a great guy and we're lucky to have a guy like this in this industry.  :)

I have directly compared the WFS DAC 2 to the Tranquility and preferred the Tranquility.  Very interested to hear how you think it compares to the Signature.

Thanks
Bill

highfilter

« Reply #537 on: 6 Oct 2010, 09:00 am »
What is price on the new cable?

I believe it is $100 more than the current Essential cable on the Web site, but don't quote me. I'm trading in my current Essential Cable for the new one, but I'll have a chance to compare both since the new one is coming and I will have some time before I ship Eric the old one back. I was offered -$100 on the DAC since I already had the Essential cable, but Eric said I could get the new cable if I sent in the old Essential and split the difference.  :)

I have directly compared the WFS DAC 2 to the Tranquility and preferred the Tranquility.  Very interested to hear how you think it compares to the Signature.

Thanks
Bill

I've been reading your comments and they've been very interesting through your DAC shootout. The one thing I love about the DAC-2 is the amount of detail it presents, especially on high-resolution files (but not limited to). If this thing can let that, or more shine through while being smoother and more liquid, well, you'll find my jaw on the floor. And if the original Tranquility did all this, then my jaw might be permanently dislocated since this Signature Edition is a step up.  :lol:

But I have high hopes as Eric sounds like he's got something very special on the table, after reading pretty much zero negative comments on the sound of the Tranquility and talking with him about his products on the phone. Eric was saying the Tranquility holds its own up to $5k to $6k DACs, and that this Signature Edition is comparable to the $10k range. I'm ready to take a ride.  :)

bhobba

« Reply #538 on: 6 Oct 2010, 11:55 am »
I've been reading your comments and they've been very interesting through your DAC shootout. The one thing I love about the DAC-2 is the amount of detail it presents, especially on high-resolution files (but not limited to). If this thing can let that, or more shine through while being smoother and more liquid, well, you'll find my jaw on the floor. And if the original Tranquility did all this, then my jaw might be permanently dislocated since this Signature Edition is a step up.  :lol: But I have high hopes as Eric sounds like he's got something very special on the table, after reading pretty much zero negative comments on the sound of the Tranquility and talking with him about his products on the phone. Eric was saying the Tranquility holds its own up to $5k to $6k DACs, and that this Signature Edition is comparable to the $10k range. I'm ready to take a ride.   :)

You are correct.  The one area the WFS is jaw dropping is the amount of detail it produces.  Every single person who has heard it has been floored by it even if overall they don't particularly like it.  Eric has built ESS Saber DAC's as well and will tell you the same thing - drop dead detail.  He thought the Tranquility in this one area may be just slightly inferior.  Now I have had it for a while I don't agree.  I find the detail just as good and for some reason the detail seems to have greater slam.  I find this particularly enjoyable because my speakers are Lenehan ML1's which are steel lined and have even further measures to reduce resonances.  Notes stop dead in a way other speakers can't seem to manage.  Slam in a recording really does sound special with these speakers.  Of course it gets rid of some of the other issues I had such as sibilance but I must be fair and say except for guys around where I am no one else seems to hear it.  The WFS is a bit cold and analytical to many and the Tranquility fixes that as well.

Yes the standard Tranquility is comparable to some $5K or so DAC's we compared it to but they were still better.  I have a signature arriving soon and am very much looking forward to not only hearing it but comparing it to some of those more expensive DAC's.  I have some acquaintances who are eagerly looking forward to comparing it to the best DAC they know - the Killer DAC which has gone toe to toe with some even much more expensive stuff.

Thanks
Bill

Bigfish

« Reply #539 on: 6 Oct 2010, 12:59 pm »
I read Eric's post, a few minutes agon, concerning the Tranquility SE and trade-up offer to existing Tranquility Owners.  I have already sent him an e-mail this morning requesting him place my name on one of the SE's and will finalize the deal later today or next week when he returns from RMAF.  The amazing thing about this is that I am totally happy with my existing Tranquility DAC.  However, I trust Eric and since he is claiming the new SE is an old Tranquility on Steroids I have to take the plunge. 

When I committed to go away from the streaming player I was previously using, early this year, to a computer/dac system the choices were seemingly limitless.  I was sick and tired of dealing with Windows based computers and their issues, therefore I welcomed the thought of a Mac Mini based computer audio system.  As you can tell I am very happy with my choices and if you read back through the many pages of this thread I believe you will conclude that the Tranquility is the heart or the soul of a Mac Mini/Fire Wire DAC/Essential USB Cable/Tranquility DAC System. 

Ken