The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

funkmonkey

Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #480 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:58 am »
Hi Ken-
Thanks for your reply.  Since my EML fizzed out I haven't been too worried about the latest and greatest, I've put my favorite combination in and haven't changed anything for nearly 6 months now. 
I sent Eric an email, shortly after my post in this thread, and within his VERY helpful reply he stated that it shouldn't have any effect as long as it was at least 6 inches away from the computer.

cheers,
Greg

funkmonkey

« Reply #481 on: 15 Sep 2010, 04:55 am »
Greg, I'm going down the exact same path.
As the latest Macmini apparently out performs a fully tricked out earlier mini then I'm going to just get the regular Macmini with 4GB of memory.  I'll convert all the FLAC files to aiff and use the Macmini as a headless unit, and use remote desktop from my iMac when I need to.  The consensus appears to be that using Pure with iTunes is the optimum cost/performance solution.  I'll then use my iPad as the remote to run iTunes off the mini.
I'll hook all this up to the Tranquility DAC.
This is the plan, I want to start implementing this in the next few days or so - lets keep in touch.
Phil

and thanks for this too Phil... I'm all about the cost/performance solution.  I will definitely keep in touch, as I am still a few months from making a move (I think).  :green:

jdbrian

« Reply #482 on: 16 Sep 2010, 12:42 am »
Hi folks

I just ordered a Tranquility and cable from Eric. It was a hard decision but I decided that Red book CD reproduction was more important to me than potential high res purchases in the future. My cd collection is unique and many of the cd's bring back memories and emotions from past times. I will never be able to get many of these titles in high res. I also don't want to deal with software drivers for async. usb. Since I already have a Mac mini and I have not seen a single negative comment about the Tranquility's sound, I bit the bullet and made the call. I will be upgrading from a Behringer DEQ2496 so I will be moving up quite a bit. I have recently upgraded the rest of my system to a Wyred4sound STI500, anticable speaker cables and GR Research OB7's with upgraded woofers, binding posts and platinum bypass caps.

Brian

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #483 on: 16 Sep 2010, 02:40 am »
Hi folks

I just ordered a Tranquility and cable from Eric. It was a hard decision but I decided that Red book CD reproduction was more important to me than potential high res purchases in the future. My cd collection is unique and many of the cd's bring back memories and emotions from past times. I will never be able to get many of these titles in high res. I also don't want to deal with software drivers for async. usb. Since I already have a Mac mini and I have not seen a single negative comment about the Tranquility's sound, I bit the bullet and made the call. I will be upgrading from a Behringer DEQ2496 so I will be moving up quite a bit. I have recently upgraded the rest of my system to a Wyred4sound STI500, anticable speaker cables and GR Research OB7's with upgraded woofers, binding posts and platinum bypass caps.

Brian
Brian,

You won't be disappointed.  Eric and the guys at db Audio Labs have done a great job of capturing music in a box from the Redbook format.  I was at a listening session last night with the local audio brain crust and we were all just grooving to the music.  This is a bunch of diehard analog guys and NOBODY said let's put a piece of vinyl on the TT.  The vinyl rig is a Sota Star Sapphire with an SME V Tonearm, top of the line Zyx cartridge into a Pass Labs preamp.  Darrell's Tweaked Mac Mini into the Tranquility sounded just great.  There was music happening and nobody was yearning for the vinyl.

Ya' dun good.

Dave

newzooreview

« Reply #484 on: 16 Sep 2010, 02:42 am »
Hi folks

Brian

I think you'll really like the Tranquility. I listed out all of the setup and adjustments that improved sound in my system here (many of them Eric's suggestions): http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74816.msg810025#msg810025

"Hi Rez" is to me the most ridiculous thing going in digital audio right now. I calculated the proportion of higher resolution files in my collection, and it was less than 2%. And the proportion of new music that I buy that is higher than Redbook resolution is even less so far this year. Additionally, a lot of those higher resolution files are faked: some sites just upsample them from standard files.

I had a PS Audio DAC III with Cullen modifications before I got the Tranquility, and so I could play higher resolution files at that point. I never noticed a tremendous difference. I think I heard an improved sound with some of them, but to play them I had to change the output settings in Audio Midi Setup, restart my player, and use the optical output from my MacBook (before I got the mini). That can be mitigated with different software and DACs that handle higher resolution over USB, but the end result is marginally better sound from music I rarely listen to.

The Tranquility DAC elevated the sound quality of my CD resolution music above the level of anything I played using the PS Audio DAC, so the whole issue has become irrelevant to me.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #485 on: 16 Sep 2010, 02:58 am »

"Hi Rez" is to me the most ridiculous thing going in digital audio right now. I calculated the proportion of higher resolution files in my collection, and it was less than 2%.

Just because you don't own much hirez doesn't make it "the most ridiculous thing going in digital audio right now".  It's quite sublime when done well, really.  And Eric is using his magic to make a higher end hirez DAC next.  Not ridiculous at all.  Yes, redbook is way underrated...but good 24/192 is quite amazing...too.  :)

newzooreview

« Reply #486 on: 16 Sep 2010, 03:14 am »
Just because you don't own much hirez doesn't make it "the most ridiculous thing going in digital audio right now".  It's quite sublime when done well, really.  And Eric is using his magic to make a higher end hirez DAC next.  Not ridiculous at all.  Yes, redbook is way underrated...but good 24/192 is quite amazing...too.  :)

I said it is ridiculous to me—not to you or anyone else. I gave my reasons. Your mileage may vary.

denjo

« Reply #487 on: 16 Sep 2010, 03:55 am »
There was music happening and nobody was yearning for the vinyl.

Ya' dun good.

Dave

This a great testimony and affirmation of how good the Tranquility DAC is and of how close the gap now stands between analog and digital. Way to go!

denjo

« Reply #488 on: 16 Sep 2010, 05:37 am »
I have been exchanging emails with Mr Tranquility (Eric Hider) regarding my quandary whether to stick to the Tranquility with USB implementation or wait for his SPDIF version and his advice has surely steered me into the decision I will soon be making. With his permission, I am posting his comments as I feel this will help many AC members in helping them decide which interface to choose between (USB or SPDIF):

"The Tranquility will playback all high rez from a computer but the computer sends a re-calculated 16 bit signal to the Tranquility (automatically). Hence, the playback is at Redbook resolution as you stated. As far as internet radio, so long as your computer's USB output is a typical USB standard the processor in your computer will automatically create a 16 bit resolution and send it to the Tranquility dac.

In regard to SPDIF, you should think of that method as a very complicated signal system. SPDIF works by interleaving or "tangling" the clock and music data together which then flow down the SPDIF and have to be untangled on the other side. Now we have to pay serious attention to both clocks on each side of this transmission and sync them up with ultimate precision. Jitter is everywhere and really ugly in this format. The differences between SPDIF vary dramatically because of this overtly complicated transmission system. Ever see those really expensive outboard "Rubidium" clocks that you can implement between cost no object SPDIF CD transports and DACs?Well, now you know why ;-) In regard to USB. once you've utilized a decent receiver circuit inside of the dac and have a properly designed USb cable you've exceeded a SPDIF's complicated issues. Of course, there are still plenty of USB implementations that can fall short just from a poor receiver or USB cable implementation too. Care is needed in each transmission format. SPDIF in general is hugely more complicated though. This is why we went with USB ourselves. It is easier to get superior sonic performance."

I must say that Eric is a class act, very knowledgeable and approachable. I will soon be placing my order for a Tranquility DAC. Any guesses on which implementation I will choose?  :D

jdbrian

« Reply #489 on: 16 Sep 2010, 12:05 pm »
Brian,

You won't be disappointed.  Eric and the guys at db Audio Labs have done a great job of capturing music in a box from the Redbook format.  I was at a listening session last night with the local audio brain crust and we were all just grooving to the music.  This is a bunch of diehard analog guys and NOBODY said let's put a piece of vinyl on the TT.  The vinyl rig is a Sota Star Sapphire with an SME V Tonearm, top of the line Zyx cartridge into a Pass Labs preamp.  Darrell's Tweaked Mac Mini into the Tranquility sounded just great.  There was music happening and nobody was yearning for the vinyl.

Ya' dun good.

Dave

Until recently I would have described myself as a diehard objectivist- show me the spec's, bigger is better, yak,yak,yak! I was not enjoying my music and moved away from listening. After a period of time I realized how much I missed music in my life and that  having good music reproduction would make me happier and more relaxed.
  I started listening again but was unhappy with the sound and upgrading became a focus. At that point a friend and fellow music lover introduced me to AudioCircle. I decided that I would move towards a focus on sound quality and simplifying my system, which at that time was active tri amped and sounded... loud but not musical. I decided to trust other peoples judgement to help pick my new equipment. I am very happy with the new gear I have purchased and built. The Tranquility is the final major component in the chain and probably the most important. Testimonies like Dave's above are the reason I went with the Tranquility over other solutions. Music, pure and simple, which is what I need!

Happy Listening
Brian

tasar

« Reply #490 on: 24 Sep 2010, 04:17 am »
A little on topic, I wondered if some of you can elaborate on interfacing with the MINI. Seems an ordinary wireless keyboard could be bettered with one having an integral touch pad. Then, there's the bluetooth and line of sight types, and wonder about the advantages of either ? Any suggestions ?

newzooreview

« Reply #491 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:26 am »
A little on topic, I wondered if some of you can elaborate on interfacing with the MINI. Seems an ordinary wireless keyboard could be bettered with one having an integral touch pad. Then, there's the bluetooth and line of sight types, and wonder about the advantages of either ? Any suggestions ?

It's best to turn off bluetooth and wifi to reduce RF noise in the MacMini. For example, I connect it by Ethernet to a WiFi router across the room and control it via Screen Sharing from another Mac. You could also control it with the Remote app on an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad. And it's possible to setup screen sharing to a Windows computer as well (requires background software running on the MacMini, I believe).

Once I set the MacMini to open iTunes on startup and initiate screen sharing, I can run it without a monitor, keyboard, WiFi, or bluetooth.

glenda17

« Reply #492 on: 25 Sep 2010, 12:34 pm »
I assume it has an AD1865 Dac chip,  I can't think of any other chip available that works with NOS ?

tasar

« Reply #493 on: 25 Sep 2010, 03:40 pm »
thanks for the input newzooreview. I believe you need Leopard or Snow Leopard to perform screen sharing ? So bluetooth or remote gaming keyboards are bad news ? And, using the Mini wirelessly as opposed to hard wire thru ethernet cabling, is not the best ?

truant

« Reply #494 on: 25 Sep 2010, 09:08 pm »
I am still experimenting with footers for my Tranquility and received some Baby Booties from Herbies Audio Labs yesterday.  They replaced three EdenSound TerraStone footers and I was floored by the transformation.  When I order the Booties I wasn't thinking to use them with the DAC but they were smaller than I expected so I thought I'd at least give them a try since they weren't going to work with my amp.  Much of the music I listened to last night seemed dramatically transformed...with emphahsis on 'dramatic.'  These little guys must be doing their job well and allowing that much more of the music through.  More space between the notes, an even more realistic tone to instruments, etc.  Charles Lloyd's new record  sounded especially riveting after switching out the TerraStones.  I've owned many of the Herbies Audio Labs products over the years and have always been impressed,  I'm sure glad that I lucked into the Tranquility/Baby Bootie combination.

denjo

« Reply #495 on: 26 Sep 2010, 11:21 am »
Does The Tranquility run hot? There does not appear to be an "On\Off" switch at the rear, suggesting you leave it on 24/7?

2bigears

« Reply #496 on: 26 Sep 2010, 12:21 pm »
 :D the dac runs cool,24/7.....what the heck are baby-booties ???? :D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #497 on: 26 Sep 2010, 01:31 pm »
:D the dac runs cool,24/7.....what the heck are baby-booties ???? :D

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/bbootie.htm

jrebman

« Reply #498 on: 27 Sep 2010, 08:47 pm »

My Tranquility DAC is connected to a USB port shared with the IR receiver, and now that it's off the sound is more fluid and smooth, with some hash/grit in the upper treble removed. No negative effects--just better music.

newzooreview,

Can you describe which of the 4 ports on the 2010 mini is the isolated one that is shared with the IR receiver?

I'm anticipating the arrival of my 2010 mini anyday now and it would be helpful to know which port to start with as I'm a complete newcomer to the Mac world.

Thanks,

Jim

Audioclyde

« Reply #499 on: 27 Sep 2010, 10:20 pm »
Jim, I'll chime in.  I just got my 2010 Mac mini installed this weekend (replacing a 2009).  I found that the USB port on the far left (as you stand facing the front of the mini) is the one that shares the IR receiver.  That's where I installed my USB to my box modded HiFace and since I don't use the IR, shut off the IR receiver (thanks newzooreview and all).

I had the Mercury SSD from OWC installed, as well as 8gig of RAM (and got the 2.67 processor).  I'm running in 64 bit mode, and find that it indeed does sound better, a little bit in all respects, in 64 bit mode.

For now, I'm feeding the bnc digi input of the EE Dac; sounds pretty darn good.

I'm anxious to get the high-res version of the dbaudio DAC when its comes out  :thumb:!

Best,

Randy