The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #340 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:23 pm »
But as a guy that is rebuilding his setup from scratch financial considerations such as a dac with volume control that can feed directly into amps and with home theater pass though is something I need to take seriously when the cost of doing that is the same as getting a decent pre amp alone.  Another option is to get an amp with a built in pre amp and there are some ones around that appeal.  But the amp I am really interested in (a Soraya) is not offered like that.  I suspect you are correct - your dac may be the better choice.  Its all part of the decision making process.
bill, (and all), sorry if this is a bit off topic, but, imho, the single most important piece of electronics in a system is the preamp - do not skimp here.  if you can blow a wad on only one single piece of gear and have to cut corners elsewhere, blow it on your preamp, do not cut corners here.  even if your source has a wolume pot, it's gonna sound better when run thru a proper quality active line stage.  imo, of course!

ymmv,

doug s.

bhobba

« Reply #341 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:51 pm »
bill, (and all), sorry if this is a bit off topic, but, imho, the single most important piece of electronics in a system is the preamp - do not skimp here.  if you can blow a wad on only one single piece of gear and have to cut corners elsewhere, blow it on your preamp, do not cut corners here.  even if your source has a wolume pot, it's gonna sound better when run thru a proper quality active line stage.  imo, of course!

Thanks for the tip.  As always such things are much appreciated.  But a while back I did hear a squeezebbox direct connected to an amp and was very impressed - its digital volume control  was utterly transparent.  However I do agree an active line stage is of value and am seriously considering a Burson buffer:
http://bursonaudio.com/burson_buffer_160.htm

Hugh Dean, the maker of the Soraya I am interested in, is very impressed with the Burson and his amp.

I was considering their full blown pre:
http://bursonaudio.com/Burson_pre160.htm

However I find myself totally unable to justify the approx $1700 it costs over a digital volume control which I was so impressed with.  In the context of the tranquility DAC that's why I can see myself waiting until they release their 24 bit model.  I can use the digital volume control in the computer without loosing any resolution.

The other option is to ditch the Soraya and get a Burson integrated amp.  I am loathe to do this however as, just like the tranquility dac, I am very impressed with how its maker developed the product.  I was just speaking to a friend over the phone about this stuff and we both agreed that techy nerd types like us are often drawn to the technicalities of a product rather than in Hi FI what they say you should do - sit down and listen.  I have written elsewhere I am not entirely happy with that approach as you can easily be fooled.  Its part of the reason for me blind listening trests are a big plus.  I have great faith in technically knowledgeable designer/engineers who use it.

Thanks
Bill

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #342 on: 21 Apr 2010, 01:23 pm »
Another option to maximize a Mac Mini set-up is to power the Mini and even an external hard drive with a good linear power supply.
Chris H.

bhobba

« Reply #343 on: 21 Apr 2010, 02:03 pm »
Another option to maximize a Mac Mini set-up is to power the Mini and even an external hard drive with a good linear power supply.
Chris H.

Yes indeed.  I have bad experiences with switching powers supplies anywhere near audio equipment.  It does not matter what I do unless it is moved a good distance away I always seem to get some kind of hash output.  I don't even like it when it is a distance away - I suspect even though you cant hear it specifically any more there may be a bit of a residual that interferes with good reproduction.  Anyway that is an option I will get somewhere down the line I am sure.

Thanks
Bill

chadh

« Reply #344 on: 21 Apr 2010, 02:20 pm »
Chris H.

Don't you mean that this is an option that will improve performance on any computer/server?  I'm not looking to be an asshole or anything, but there's really nothing special about the Mac Mini in this respect. 

Has anybody talked to Vinnie about a Black Lightning battery supply for their server (mac Mini or otherwise)?

Chad

jrebman

« Reply #345 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:00 pm »
Bhobba,

That digital volume control on the squeezebox is one that drops bits from the audio data, FYI,.

-- Jim

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #346 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:05 pm »
Why not just use quite battery power for your computer based system? Use your laptop unplugged! :D Nice and simple, eh?

-Roy

viggen

« Reply #347 on: 21 Apr 2010, 07:02 pm »
ChadH:

I see you had a Audio Sector USB DAC in your gallery.  Could you give a brief comparison between that and the Tranquility?

Thanks in advance.

chadh

« Reply #348 on: 21 Apr 2010, 07:57 pm »
ChadH:

I see you had a Audio Sector USB DAC in your gallery.  Could you give a brief comparison between that and the Tranquility?

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully, I'll be able to do so sometime soon.  But my AS DAC has been out of commission for a while, and I've been too lazy to sent it off to Peter to get it fixed.  As soon as it happens, I'll let you know what I think.

Chad

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #349 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:07 pm »
Why not just use quite battery power for your computer based system? Use your laptop unplugged! :D Nice and simple, eh?

-Roy
I've read several threads refering to the Mini Mac as state of the art for digital playback. When I sold my Wadia CDP I purchased a Macbook (and RWA Isabella linestage/dac) assuming the Macbook was the way to go. Does a Mini Mac streaming bits really sound better than a Macbook?

viggen

« Reply #350 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:19 pm »
Hopefully, I'll be able to do so sometime soon.  But my AS DAC has been out of commission for a while, and I've been too lazy to sent it off to Peter to get it fixed.  As soon as it happens, I'll let you know what I think.

Chad
Just to let you know I had sent my dac back to Peter for a repair as I fried a chip when I incorrectly wired a DIY powercord.  Peter's turnaround time was 24 hrs and only charged me for the chip.  Excellent customer service.

trianglezerius

« Reply #351 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:47 pm »
Hey guys, can we keep this thread on track and not meander about other dac's, please? If you feel the need to discuss off topic things start a new thread or take it private. Sorry if I sound like a buzz kill.

Thanks,
Tom

bhobba

« Reply #352 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:29 am »
That digital volume control on the squeezebox is one that drops bits from the audio data, FYI,.

Not so sure about that.  My understanding is it maintains "bit perfect" output until you drop below 34-35 db for a 16 bit source.  Anyway its utterly transparent to my ears.

Thanks
Bill

coverto

« Reply #353 on: 25 Apr 2010, 02:48 pm »
Somebody mentioned earlier in the thread that the Tranquility beat their Havana DAC. I've pm'd the poster asking what kinds of tubes/mods he was using on the Havana, but meanwhile am wondering if anybody else has heard both DACs, and if so what tubes/mods were they using on the Havana? (as well as which input - I've heard that coax sounds much better on the Havana than USB, and would be especially interested in hearing about Havana via coax vs Tranquility via USB, given all the talk about coax and jitter). Basically, I'm trying to decide whether to get the Tranquility or a modded Havana with better output caps (probably the Mundorfs that the Tranquility uses), transformer shielding and vibration control, premium tubes, etc.

jkelly

« Reply #354 on: 25 Apr 2010, 07:46 pm »
I am getting on this track and starting to assemble stuff
What is the minimum Mac Mini processor that will work in this config?

Jeff

truant

« Reply #355 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:21 am »
I had the Havana before buying the Tranquility.  My Havana was stock though I did have the Bel Canto usb LINK.  The dB Tranquility, in my experience, offers a much more involving musical presentation.  While I liked the Havana very much I always felt that I was missing something, that something wasn't coming through.  So far that hasn't been my experience with the Tranquility. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #356 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:33 am »
I had the Havana before buying the Tranquility.  My Havana was stock though I did have the Bel Canto usb LINK.  The dB Tranquility, in my experience, offers a much more involving musical presentation.  While I liked the Havana very much I always felt that I was missing something, that something wasn't coming through.  So far that hasn't been my experience with the Tranquility.

Were you using the Havana as a USB DAC cuz if you were, I can understand why the Tranquility would outperform it. The Havana being a NOS Dac that uses older chips has nothing in it to combat jitter like the new generation of USB Dacs now have. In the right system, the Havana has the potential to shine bright IMHO,,, but not as a USB DAC, again IMHO.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

cfcmick

« Reply #357 on: 26 Apr 2010, 04:06 pm »
I am getting on this track and starting to assemble stuff
What is the minimum Mac Mini processor that will work in this config?

Jeff

As long you have one of the Intel Core 2 Duo processors in your Mini you should be fine, but I would double-check with Eric to be sure  :D

coverto

« Reply #358 on: 30 Apr 2010, 04:42 am »
The Tranquility owners seem to have been a little quiet lately. Anybody care to give an update on how things are sounding?

timztunz

« Reply #359 on: 30 Apr 2010, 10:24 am »
The Tranquility owners seem to have been a little quiet lately. Anybody care to give an update on how things are sounding?

I can't speak for the others but I'm just too busy enjoying the shockingly good audio coming out of this Mac Mini and Tranquility combination.