The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

gerald porzio

Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #200 on: 24 Jan 2010, 05:26 pm »
Given that a properly designed amp's power supply is designed to filter the AC line input, this is like washing your car prior to going to the carwash.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #201 on: 24 Jan 2010, 05:31 pm »
Given that a properly designed amp's power supply is designed to filter the AC line input, this is like washing your car prior to going to the carwash.

In theory, I agree.  :green:

newzooreview

« Reply #202 on: 24 Jan 2010, 08:07 pm »

I fully agree: in theory the carwash should clean my car perfectly. It never seems to work out that way for me, however. I guess I could go to a much more expensive carwash that cleans perfectly, or do some extra detailing myself. :)

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #203 on: 24 Jan 2010, 10:30 pm »
There are a lot of assumptions made in the design of power supplies for audio gear.  Often those are made because the designer may have specific problems where he/she lives and designs accordingly.  Where I live, we have (and I'm serious) about a billion watts of RF floating around between all of the broadcast, repeaters, defense coms and all.  We also have big EMI problems.  For a designer to design a power supply that will adequately address all of these problems would necessitate BIG $$$ to deal with these problems.

One of the big problems with digital audio reproduction has been the fact that digital circuitry is incredibly sensitive to electrical abberations in the power supplies.  As a person that makes his living designing equipment to address these issues, I am very impressed with the effort that dB Audio Labs has put into making power problems less of an issue for their DAC.  What they have done works very well.  They had to honor design/pricepoint considerations, but their approach is quite elegant for such a low cost product.  I'm impressed with their entire approach to the product.

AC cannot be too clean.  Good power conditioning is a must for excellence in digital reproduction

Dave

wilsynet

« Reply #204 on: 25 Jan 2010, 06:44 am »
Eric, is Larry Moore involved with dbAudio Labs?

On your website, it says that you are former Bell Labs engineers, and it is known that Larry Moore once worked at Bell Labs.  And it is also a matter of record that Eric Heider and Larry Moore were partners at UltraFi.

trianglezerius

« Reply #205 on: 25 Jan 2010, 07:02 pm »
Also, trianglezerius, since you also have the Tranquility DAC, can you comment on any improvement with the Dodd power supply? Danny thought it wouldn't do as much for the Tranquility (due to built-in regulation and filtering in the DAC) but would help my amp (with switching power supply) a good bit.

Thanks.  :thumb:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, newszooreview but I wanted to validate my findings to be as accurate as possible. So I tried everything all over again and took notes. 

On hand, I have the Dodd BPT and the MIT Z-Stabilizer with various power cord (JAS, Acoustic Zen, Diy, and Straley) to try. I used the well recorded Alice in Chains "Unplugged' and Adele 19 as my reference and demo CDs.

Here are my findings:

Plugged into the wall directly: This was the way I preferred the Tranquility with a non-digital type of power cord - a high current DIY design:

The sound was a bit wider and very clear this way. Everything was very quick and out of the way sounding. The center images sometime seemed not as focused as they were wide. My speakers optimally placed for one of the conditioners instead. I would probably place and toe in my speakers differently to focus the image better due to the width being greater for plugging the Tranquility directly into the wall.

Into the various receptacles Dodd BPT with Jas power cord powering the Dodd (Front end, Digital and Analog Amplifier receptacles used with DIY high current power cord into the Tranquility):

The receptacles labelled front end make the highs a little grainy and the dynamics sound constricted. Imaging is slightly more centered but everything sound thin overall.

The receptacle labelled Analog Amplifier sounded the best on the Dodd. The high frequencies were not dirty and grainy like the front end receptacles. The dynamics were improved too. Imaging was centered and focused. Everything seemed balanced. There was not the width I experienced with the Tranquility plugged into the wall though. And the dynamics were not improved just different. Bass seemed fuller but heavier. Which one is better? I'm not sure. I could see how some would like the Dodd in this configuration where others would prefer plugging the Tranquility directly into the wall. Both sound excellent.

The receptacle labelled Digital Amplifier sounded too pinched on the center images. The high frequencies were not as extended. Maybe some systems would benefit from these things? I don't like the imaging to be small and compressed on center images.

Another interesting change happened when I used my Acoustic Zen El Nino power cord on the Dodd. It sounds syrupy when the Tranquility is plugged into the wall with the Zen. When I used the Zen with the Dodd it worked better. It was like the syrup sound was fixed. I still prefer using my DIY high current cord over the audiophile Zen. They say it is designed for digital sources. The Acoustic Zen just doesn't do anything better than my DIY high current cord. It has a syrupy sound that I can hear.

MIT Z-Stabilizer powered by MIT Z cord 2, Tranquility connected to MIT Z with DIY high current cord:

This is my preferred way to power the Tranquility DAC. The images are defined and centered and the dynamics are natural. Everything here makes me want to tap my feet the most as compared to the other configurations. I still don't get as wide of imaging as plugging the Tranquility directly into the wall. I think the MIT may be creating a balance that my system needs. I am going to stick with my MIT as my preference of choice. After all that is said and done I would still try everything you have on hand and see what works best for you  :thumb:

Tom

Gannon

« Reply #206 on: 25 Jan 2010, 10:16 pm »
I'm new to the game here...and don't have time to read the entire thread, but I feel quite strongly about adding my two cents.

I heard this DAC fed by Hider's MacMini through a very carefully constructed high-end rig, which I can get specifics on if anyone cares...but I've enjoyed this system before, mostly with vinyl.

I knew I was going to hear something new, but didn't have the specifics. After some time setting up, which I didn't care to see...Hider can be very particular about his procedures and there was good beer to drink and conversation to be had in the next room...we finally commenced to listening.

It wasn't blind, with either or both eyes (heh), but my initial reaction was palatable.

I simply couldn't believe it was coming from the computer. Even though it was right in front of me, it was tough to believe the fluidity and decay and staging width and depth were from iTunes fed through USB. I couldn't reconcile what I was hearing with what I saw.

This was a paradigm change for me, but I've not kept up on computer audio...like the old Home Theater PC pioneering days, every demo was a disappointment...until this one.

Next time Eric is through Detroit, we can setup a demo using some recordings I've done live...and we can also play with my MIT Z-box and cables (thanks for that report, btw, killer experimenting) and a few other line conditioners that I've grown very fond of over the years. I would be curious to hear comparisons to competing product, and then we can do the double-confusion testing.

So, in short...this thing holds promise. It has me excited over computer handling of music now, and that is a HUGE deal to me.

Cheers,
John

P.S.: In full disclosure, I've known Eric for over ten years...since I met him through a very early ISF calibration on his Sony RP Television...and consider him a man of high integrity, honesty, and good intent. He's been turning me onto cheap tweaks and such for high-end gear seemingly forever, but this device is absolutely the most groundbreaking item he's ever brought to my attention. It is as if his quest for perfection is closer to completion, and if you knew the guy like I do...that is the largest compliment I can make to him. He is one of the most fastidiously detail-oriented people I've ever met...and almost NEVER obviously happy. With this product, he is obviously pleased, and seems eager to share it.

timztunz

« Reply #207 on: 25 Jan 2010, 10:26 pm »
Eric, is Larry Moore involved with dbAudio Labs?

On your website, it says that you are former Bell Labs engineers, and it is known that Larry Moore once worked at Bell Labs.  And it is also a matter of record that Eric Heider and Larry Moore were partners at UltraFi.

Is this relevant somehow that I am missing?

bmckenney

tubesound

« Reply #209 on: 25 Jan 2010, 11:43 pm »
For those of you who own Tranquility, is it possible to post some internal pics of the DAC? Thanks.

newzooreview

« Reply #210 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:24 am »
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, newszooreview but I wanted to validate my findings to be as accurate as possible. So I tried everything all over again and took notes. [SNIP]

Well, it was worth the wait! Thanks for the detailed insight into what works best for you. I will definitely experiment when the Dodd comes. Danny should be sending an Electra Cable B-7 as well, so I can try that with the Tranquility and the amp, in various Dodd receptacles and directly into the wall. I hope I hit upon a configuration that improves the sound.

My system sounds much better late at night, so I obviously have various types of noise in the A/C to deal with, as most of us do.

Thanks again.  :thumb:

trianglezerius

« Reply #211 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:32 am »
Well, it was worth the wait! Thanks for the detailed insight into what works best for you. I will definitely experiment when the Dodd comes. Danny should be sending an Electra Cable B-7 as well, so I can try that with the Tranquility and the amp, in various Dodd receptacles and directly into the wall. I hope I hit upon a configuration that improves the sound.

My system sounds much better late at night, so I obviously have various types of noise in the A/C to deal with, as most of us do.

Thanks again.  :thumb:

N/P zoo. :D

newzooreview

« Reply #212 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:56 am »
Read this post.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Review-Ultra-Fi-Musicstream-USB-DAC

Bryan

Dear Bryan,

Please state clearly the relevance that you see to the Tranquility DAC.

The DAC reviewed in this link has no relation to the Tranquility. The reviewer says the DAC showed up in his system (a Mac) as "C-Media USB DAC". On my Mac the Tranquility shows up as "USB Audio DAC". And the sound that he describes is nothing like my experience or that of others with the Tranquility.

trianglezerius

« Reply #213 on: 26 Jan 2010, 01:17 am »
Dear Bryan,

Please state clearly the relevance that you see to the Tranquility DAC.

The DAC reviewed in this link has no relation to the Tranquility. The reviewer says the DAC showed up in his system (a Mac) as "C-Media USB DAC". On my Mac the Tranquility shows up as "USB Audio DAC". And the sound that he describes is nothing like my experience or that of others with the Tranquility.

I agree with newzooreview and do not see the relevance of Bryan's link. I read it and do not see the correlation between the two except them both being USB DAC's. Okay I'm going to go back to enjoying the Tranquility and spend my time on listening.

truant

« Reply #214 on: 26 Jan 2010, 03:47 am »
Tonight I decided to unplug my MacBook Pro to hear how things sound running on battery power.  I have no idea why I haven't tried this before now, possibly because I had done this when the Havana was in my system and as I recall I had not experienced much more than a subtle difference.  Amazing. Amazing.  The increase in transparency and dynamics is far beyond what I had expected.  And, it probably doesn't hurt that on battery power the MacBook's screen shuts down to conserve power.

wilsynet

« Reply #215 on: 26 Jan 2010, 04:14 am »
This posting does not assume an accusatory or defamatory posture.  I'm only pointing out that there may be a relationship here that people have heretofore been unaware.  Whether this relationship is relevant to you or not is entirely up to you.

Here's the more relevant link:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Larry-Moore-Ultra-Fi

In the posting, an unfortunate buyer was "talked into" exceeding a 15 day return period.  Say what you will, Larry may have followed the letter of the law, but you would certainly not say that Larry was fair or genuine in his dealing with the customer.  For the record, Larry has had plenty of time to respond, and has not taken the opportunity to do so.  Read into that however you will.

As per this Positive Feedback article, you will also note that Eric Heider shared a partnership with Larry Moore, a partnership in the UltraFi business.  And also that Larry Moore was a former Bell Labs engineer.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/ca_moore.htm

Finally, on the dB Labs home page, it says:

"[The] Tranquility DAC is the cumulation of over three years of research and development by an assembled team of engineers who previously worked at Bell Laboratories."

I suspect that in this case "a team of engineers who previously worked at Bell Laboratories" may really be a single engineer, namely Larry Moore.  Having said all that, I don't blame Eric, and in the posting on Computer Audiophile it seems like he tried to do the right thing.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2010, 05:28 am by wilsynet »

newzooreview

« Reply #216 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:44 am »
Note that this posting does not assume an accusatory or defamatory posture.

Everyone who has reported purchasing a Tranquility DAC from dB Audio has had a very good experience.

I've received exceptionally responsive and helpful customer service from Eric, and as I mentioned earlier when I opened the DAC it was very obviously a clean and careful design (dB Audio is printed on the circuit board, so this is not something thrown together, re-purposed, or an off-the-shelf board inside).

The sound from the Tranquility DAC is also exceptional by all reports from those who have heard them. I'm very happy with mine, compared to a well-regarded PS Audio DAC with Level III Cullen mods (fed by a HiFace asynchronous USB to coax adapter). As I've posted above I'm currently seeking to improve the power coming into the DAC (and my amp) to find its full potential.

Those are the facts that are relevant in my view.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #217 on: 26 Jan 2010, 08:01 am »
I agree with newzooreview and do not see the relevance of Bryan's link. I read it and do not see the correlation between the two except them both being USB DAC's. Okay I'm going to go back to enjoying the Tranquility and spend my time on listening.

The relevance is, admittedly a little vague...but, it has more to do with the earlier questions by wilysnet about Larry Moore than the Tranquility DAC itself. 

Let's leave just a teensy bit of liberty towards fellow audiophools to discuss matters lightly attached to, rather than directly connected to, the DAC itself.  Eric could himself connect some of the loose dots to that post by filling in his current or past relationship with Larry Moore, etc...but I suspect he's busy making DAC's ( 8)) and hasn't chimed in for a day+

Thx, John / co-Mod
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2010, 10:13 am by TheChairGuy »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #218 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:24 pm »
This posting does not assume an accusatory or defamatory posture.  I'm only pointing out that there may be a relationship here that people have heretofore been unaware.  Whether this relationship is relevant to you or not is entirely up to you.

Here's the more relevant link:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Larry-Moore-Ultra-Fi

In the posting, an unfortunate buyer was "talked into" exceeding a 15 day return period.  Say what you will, Larry may have followed the letter of the law, but you would certainly not say that Larry was fair or genuine in his dealing with the customer.  For the record, Larry has had plenty of time to respond, and has not taken the opportunity to do so.  Read into that however you will.

As per this Positive Feedback article, you will also note that Eric Heider shared a partnership with Larry Moore, a partnership in the UltraFi business.  And also that Larry Moore was a former Bell Labs engineer.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/ca_moore.htm

Finally, on the dB Labs home page, it says:

"[The] Tranquility DAC is the cumulation of over three years of research and development by an assembled team of engineers who previously worked at Bell Laboratories."

I suspect that in this case "a team of engineers who previously worked at Bell Laboratories" may really be a single engineer, namely Larry Moore.  Having said all that, I don't blame Eric, and in the posting on Computer Audiophile it seems like he tried to do the right thing.
its only relevance, if any, is it shows that, regardless of who helped design the tranquility dac, eric h's business practices seem to be diametrically opposed to larry moore's...   8)

doug s.

bmckenney

« Reply #219 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:08 pm »
I'm thinking of getting the Tranquility in for a trial.  It's in my price range and seems like a promising DAC for a computer music server I'm building.  The DAC being the last piece of the puzzle.  So far I have auditioned at home a Metric Halo ULN2 and the Ayre QB9 and I do like the QB9 the most so far.  I also have a temporary DAC, the HRT Streamer, which will go to a family room system once I finalize the DAC for this system.

I'm curious if anyone reading this thread has compared the Tranquility to the Ayre.  Or knows of someone who has.  I'm interested in what the differences are.  Not necessarily which was better, but how are they different, how are they similar.

Bryan