The sound charactoristics of the various Omega speaker series

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
It often comes up on the AC forum and in dealing with customers: "what are the differences between the 3, 7, and Alnico series speakers?"
My conclusions are based on having tube and SS amps in front of the Omegas, and the systems in various venues from quite live to quite dead acoustically. All will run well on a watt and a half. YMMV.

Concerning imaging: All Omegas image insanely good, often extending beyond the outside left and right of the speakers.  They play well with all types of music in all kinds of environments, not just intimate nearfield "girl with guitar" type situations.  All Omegas are also very fast.

3 Series: Electrostatic speed, huge presentation for such compact speakers with a single tiny driver, clear defined well focussed pinpoint imaging, very transparent and revealing with incredible detail.  Hearing what comes out of such a small driver will play with your head.

7 Series: Fast, dynamic, punchy, fuller sounding than the 3 series.  Top end closer to the 3 series than the Alnico.  Soundstage a little deeper than the 3 series, but not quite as defined.  Greater texture than the 3 series and can go louder than any of the Omegas I've heard. Aside from the new 8" coming out they are the most efficient.  Happy with all types of amplifier.

The Super 8: I haven't heard it yet, but Louis says it sounds like the RS5 on steroids, and with more dynamics.  Also very efficient at 98dB.  One of the prettiest drivers I've ever seen in some of the most beautiful towers Louis has ever produced.

Alnico Hemp Series: Really in a class by themselves.  Rich and lush, tonally very even and non-fatiguing, incredible tonal density layering and texture, deepest and most ethereal image of all the Omegas, the most refined, and the best rendering of bass I recall hearing.  Smooth without sounding rolled off on the top end. Complex music is a cinch.  The most addictive Omega I have ever heard.

The High Output (HO) Series: These take the sound of the single driver version to the next level in dynamics, and in their ability to play more complex music.  They still have all the excellent properties of a single driver.  Nothing is lost.  Everything is gained.

:thumb:
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2017, 06:49 pm by Canada Rob »

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Thanks Rob.....   I want Super Alnico Monitors!   

......Peter

seikosha

Thanks for posting Canada Rob.  Very appreciated.

n2djazz

Canada Rob et al,
Could you elaborate on the differences between the Super Alnico Monitors and the Super Alnico XRS? I know the monitors are rear-ported and the XRSs are ported at the bottom of the cabinet. My room is open-ended and measures 11 x 11 feet with a 9ft ceiling. Behind my sitting position is a two-story foyer. Beyond the foyer is a dining room with 9ft ceilings. Technically, the nearest wall behind my seating position is of no consequence. I am leaning towards the monitors because I think I heard them about 7yrs ago. If it were the Monitor I heard, I was very impressed. I would like to go with 14" stands. Your advice on that too? Thanks. Michael

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
The Super 8: I haven't heard it yet, but Louis says it sounds like the 7 series, but with even more dynamics.  Also more efficient at 98dB.
Rob,
There is a new 8'' FR at Omega or you are referring to the old 8'' models?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Rob,
There is a new 8'' FR at Omega or you are referring to the old 8'' models?
Hi FRM,

It's the new model I'm referring to, which I haven't heard yet.  Its shown here near the bottom: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129159.0

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Hi FRM,

It's the new model I'm referring to, which I haven't heard yet.  Its shown here near the bottom: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129159.0
OK just see it, its Alnico too?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
OK just see it, its Alnico too?
Ferrite, and not hemp.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Ferrite, and not hemp.
Ferrite and paper it will be a option to persons that like that kind of sound, sensitivity 98dB is very good to a small amp.
A nice add to the lineup.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2015, 04:25 pm by FullRangeMan »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Thanks, Rob.

I'll check them out in a very few days.

See you then.

Michael

recarcar

Re: The sound charactoristics of the various Omega speaker series
« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2016, 04:56 am »
Anyone have any experience comparing the Alinco series with some DIY plans from commonsenseaudio? I'm trying to decide whether I should just bite the bullet on the Super Alinco monitor or go the route of maybe 10' or 12's from the classic line in the biggest of their monitor cabinet plans.   

Seamaster

« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2017, 03:18 am »
Can someone describe what is the new SUPER 8 XRS' tonal signature?

pursuitofnow

« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2017, 03:07 pm »
Any comparisons of Super 3 HO XRS to the Super 8 XRS?

tdogzthmn

« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2017, 03:21 pm »
I'd also be interested in learning more about the RS8 vs RS5 drivers.  I listen to a wide array of music and worry the RS5 while speedy and accurate will not provide enough body to the music.  I've run 2.1 systems before but I'd prefer to keep it a simple 2 way setup for now.

Brianportugal

« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2017, 06:10 pm »
I have the 3xrs and I am so impressed with them. These with my Primaluna prologue 2 and Ressonance dac are wonderful sounding. I just heard Feastrex 12 cm on you tube but they are 10 times the cost. The clarity of both are unsurpassed. I have Spica Angelus and they sound vieled compared to my 3xrs. Louis is amazing!!
Brian

nature boy

« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2017, 06:16 pm »
I'd also be interested in learning more about the RS8 vs RS5 drivers.  I listen to a wide array of music and worry the RS5 while speedy and accurate will not provide enough body to the music.  I've run 2.1 systems before but I'd prefer to keep it a simple 2 way setup for now.

It's probably unlikely that someone, other than Louis, has compared the two drivers side by side.  The RS8 are so new.  You may have to wait a while.

NB

pursuitofnow

« Reply #16 on: 26 Mar 2017, 06:58 pm »
I was hoping Louis or Rob would chime in.  :wink:

roscoe65

« Reply #17 on: 26 Mar 2017, 07:42 pm »
I have the 3xrs and I am so impressed with them. These with my Primaluna prologue 2 and Ressonance dac are wonderful sounding. I just heard Feastrex 12 cm on you tube but they are 10 times the cost. The clarity of both are unsurpassed. I have Spica Angelus and they sound vieled compared to my 3xrs. Louis is amazing!!
Brian

Did you listen to them using Youtube as a source or listen to a video of them on Youtube through your current system?

rfprice

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2017, 05:53 pm »
Hello,

I have a Cary 300b integrated and I'm thinking about a pair of Omegas. I like what I'm reading about the Super 3 High Output but maybe the Alnico, Compact or Super, is the way to go. Silly question, I know, but can someone comment on the differences here? Are the Super 3's more fast, more dynamic, than the Alnico? What do you give up?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 11 Jul 2017, 10:58 am »
A good Alnico driver is all about sweet harmonics and even the the FF is better than a Ferrite magnet imo.