Dipolar Madness

JoshK

Re: Dipolar Madness
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2008, 05:29 pm »
I have a feeling someone is going to be *very* happy with these.  The veneer is quite stunning.  SS drivers are no sloutch. 

klh

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jan 2008, 06:19 pm »
What are the dimensions of the enclosure? If one wanted, could the pair of 8" drivers be side by side instead of one above the other provided the MTM portion (including baffle width) isn't changed? This would look a little awkward, but it might allow the design to fit under a FP screen.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 24 Jan 2008, 08:00 pm »
Beautiful, and good choices all the way! :D

Now Rick, tell us a bit about the specs, please.

I'll be finished with tweeking the crossover this next week and will have all of the measurements at that time. The woofer section is a sealed box and -3db around 45hz. The impedance is 4 ohms.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jan 2008, 10:20 pm »
What are the dimensions of the enclosure? If one wanted, could the pair of 8" drivers be side by side instead of one above the other provided the MTM portion (including baffle width) isn't changed? This would look a little awkward, but it might allow the design to fit under a FP screen.

What is the maximum height that you can allow for the cabinet?

klh

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jan 2008, 06:08 am »

What is the maximum height that you can allow for the cabinet?

Max height is 29". If that's too short, How tall is the open baffle portion? If it can go down to 80Hz then the 8" drivers wouldn't be necessary.

0stackers

« Reply #25 on: 17 Feb 2008, 08:25 am »
Hey Rick. how are things coming? Do you have an ETA yet? 
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2008, 06:42 pm by 0stackers »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #26 on: 18 Feb 2008, 02:25 am »
Hey Rick. how are things coming? Do you have an ETA yet? 

You've got mail.  :wink:

I had a late night listening session this weekend - sorry to see them go.

0stackers

« Reply #27 on: 18 Feb 2008, 04:47 am »

You've got mail.  :wink:

I had a late night listening session this weekend - sorry to see them go.
Thanks. Eveything should be good to go now.  :rock:

0stackers

« Reply #28 on: 1 Mar 2008, 11:51 pm »
Just quick note of thanks to Rick and all the members of this, and various other forums that, knowingly or not, steered me towards Selah Audio...

I am currently powering these with a Marantz PM11S1 integrated and my source is a Media Center PC run through an external DAC. The only unfortunate thing about the Marantz is that I have to leave it on pretty much 24/7 because it sounds fairly awful cold. Though once it's warmed up for a day or so it really does sing. It's (way) underrated at 200wpc into 4ohms, and it powers these speakers with absolute ease. Any thoughts I had of getting another one for bi-amping have been completely erased... for now anyway.  :lol: 

The speakers themselves are pretty much everything I wanted - nice and spacious, non-boxy sounding... wonderful. Their configuration (mtm + dipole) is allowing me to 'hear' my small room less and to hear more of the music than any other speakers I've had in this room. Midrange and treble is as detailed as I can imagine without being irritating. There's a fine line between detailed and fatiguing and these walk it perfectly. I actually get bad headaches from certain speakers that are too bright (for me) in the upper-mids and treble - no such problems with these. Bass is nice and taut, punchy and totally non-boomy. These speakers aren't the last word in bass extension, but I knew they wouldn't be. Rick actually suggested that I go with the 8" SS woofers rather than the 10" due to my room size and I'm glad I listened. If I feel the need for more bass in the future I can always get a couple of subs and a parametric EQ or two.  I am currently using a Velodyne SMS-1 in my HT and it is awesome.  Oh, all of this about the bass and I haven't even spiked them yet - still playing around with placement, but it's a little too easy to get distracted if you know what I mean.  :D

Anyway, thanks again, Rick. Chalk this one up as another very satisfied customer!  :thumb: