RS 8

jphaggar

RS 8
« on: 17 Jan 2007, 11:23 pm »
Just finished building my pair of RS 8 line array from Selah Audio about one month ago, and wonder if anybody else build a pair and could share their opinion with me about the sound of those monsters    ?
JP

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: RS 8
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2007, 12:09 am »
How about some pictures?

George

gitarretyp

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2007, 12:50 am »
I'm curious to hear your opinion of the speakers, as well.

jphaggar

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2007, 11:03 pm »
Some pictures are most welcome !!
Here is a picture of mine
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/jphaggar/DSC00556.jpg
They sound big and bright for the moment , waiting for a braking period !
JP

Cacophonix

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2007, 04:21 am »
JP

They look wonderful!
Great work!! :thumb: :thumb:

FredT300B

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2007, 01:40 pm »
I can't comment on the RS-8's, but I have the XT-8's and they were big and bright too when I first heard them. Big is good but bright isn't. I finally ended up with a six ohm resistor ahead of the tweeter crossover. That value is overkill, but I prefer a slightly dark sounding speaker.

Yours will be different, as will your preference for brightness, but you might want to experiment with some resistors. If they have bi wire terminals you can install a resistor between the woofer and tweeter positive terminal on each speaker and single-wire to the woofer terminals. I would order several pairs of inexpensive resistors of different values, e.g. one, two, three, four ohms. Dayton non inductive wirewounds or Madisound metal oxides are fine for this application. When you finally decide which value you like you can permanently install some parallel Mills resistors to get the value and power handling capacity you will need.

Nice looking enclosures!

jphaggar

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2007, 03:53 pm »
Thanks for the trick ! I will try it asap.
But how do they sound now ? Do you have any midrange anomalies ?I have some hardness in the frequencies around 300 to 700 Hz specially in the violins and human voices and of course piano notes in this range !!!! :hard and transistor like sound , do you happen to have the same problem?
By the way I am a furniture manufacturer and my hobby is speaker building (2 years now).
JP

jholtz

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2007, 05:39 pm »
Thanks for the trick ! I will try it asap.
But how do they sound now ? Do you have any midrange anomalies ?I have some hardness in the frequencies around 300 to 700 Hz specially in the violins and human voices and of course piano notes in this range !!!! :hard and transistor like sound , do you happen to have the same problem?
By the way I am a furniture manufacturer and my hobby is speaker building (2 years now).
JP

I've had a pair of line arrays Rick designed for me for 3 years now. Here are some thoughts. It appears from the picture that your walls are close to the RS8's. I have the same issue. Position the speakers with the ribbon line on the inside rather than the outside. Rick's designs are very accurate and revealing but never harsh or bright. He's done a bunch for me. Way to many according to my wife.  :D

I'd look at the source components and room, particularly if you're hearing hardness in the 300-700 Hz. range. It's definitely not the speakers at that frequency range, IMHO.

Talk to Rick. He's the man that can help far more than me or anyone else who responds.

Jim

gme109

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2007, 08:59 pm »
JP

Don't know how many hrs. you have on them, but I'd forget about any critical listening until they had around 4-500 hrs. at least. Also as mentioned before, the room as a LOT to do with the end result. I also have one of Rick's line array's, the Excelarray, and although the bass on a line array seems less room dependent than many other types of speakers, I've found that the mids and highs seem to be more affected by the room acoustics than others. Perhaps its because of the wide horizontal dispersion of the Seas and Newform ribbon drivers that I'm using.  You might want to experiment with toe-in, as I've found less room interaction in the mids and highs, with the Excelarry's toed-in.  Also as suggested, I'd try putting the ribbons on the inside and see what happens. But for now, let them fully break-in before driving yourself nuts, and moving them all over the place.

By the way, great job, they look fantastic! 

jphaggar

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2007, 09:13 pm »
Yes mine only have about 60 hours break-in , but do you think the caracter of their sound will change that much after the right break-in time ?
JP

gme109

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2007, 09:37 pm »
Yes mine only have about 60 hours break-in , but do you think the caracter of their sound will change that much after the right break-in time ?
JP

Every piece of equipment and speaker I've owned, sounded awful until it was fully broken-in. That's why I wont do any critical listening or speaker positioning until then. Just let them play nonstop if you can. Then when they're broken-in, start moving them around and playing with room treatment. But for now, try not to panic.