RMAF photos

Greggo

Re: RMAF photos
« Reply #40 on: 31 Oct 2006, 06:57 pm »
Rick,

Thanks, it was my pleasure, and at some point I am sure I will be passing through Charlotte on my weekly runs to the airport (Asheville never works out well, so it is Greenville/Spartanburg, Atlanta, and someday soon... Charlotte as the better value alternatives even with the extra driving), and I will definitely make an effort to go hear the RC5s.

I will be surprised if the IDS-25 does anything but stay controversial at every level in the audio opinion foodchain, I have given my own fairly detailed reviews in other posts and I definitely found your arrays to be much more consistent performers across different types of music.

I have heard that you are somewhat of a fan of the MDM-55 (had a friend do a 3-way a few years ago and I was very impressed with the mid dome, and I doubt his implementation was even close to your Tanzanite in overall performance) and was wondering if you have ever been tempted to try them in a 3 way line array.  My evild idea was of course overkill (and you probably wouldn't want to run the Aura 10s up to 7-or-800hz), but one reason why I tossed out the idea of splurging on 25 of them was not just for the even balance of series/parallel wiring for same impedance as a single unit, but also because I do think there is something about staying closer to 7 feet than 5 feet for line length in your typical 8-9 foot high ceiling.  My own purely subjective theory is that the cylinder pattern of radiation is much better defined and coupled to the room when your line length gets closer to running "floor-to-ceiling", at least from the lower mids on up.  Now that you have advanced the state of your art across two or three models in the point source camp, are you tempted to go back to line arrays and figure out how to up the ante a bit?  Just wondering.  I have to say, I am still torn between the two sounds (line array versus point source), I definitely find them to be quite different, and have things I really like about both that puts me at odds most of the time.

Regards,

Greg Jensen

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: RMAF photos
« Reply #41 on: 1 Nov 2006, 05:16 pm »
Rick,

Thanks, it was my pleasure, and at some point I am sure I will be passing through Charlotte on my weekly runs to the airport (Asheville never works out well, so it is Greenville/Spartanburg, Atlanta, and someday soon... Charlotte as the better value alternatives even with the extra driving), and I will definitely make an effort to go hear the RC5s.

I will be surprised if the IDS-25 does anything but stay controversial at every level in the audio opinion foodchain, I have given my own fairly detailed reviews in other posts and I definitely found your arrays to be much more consistent performers across different types of music.

I have heard that you are somewhat of a fan of the MDM-55 (had a friend do a 3-way a few years ago and I was very impressed with the mid dome, and I doubt his implementation was even close to your Tanzanite in overall performance) and was wondering if you have ever been tempted to try them in a 3 way line array.  My evild idea was of course overkill (and you probably wouldn't want to run the Aura 10s up to 7-or-800hz), but one reason why I tossed out the idea of splurging on 25 of them was not just for the even balance of series/parallel wiring for same impedance as a single unit, but also because I do think there is something about staying closer to 7 feet than 5 feet for line length in your typical 8-9 foot high ceiling.  My own purely subjective theory is that the cylinder pattern of radiation is much better defined and coupled to the room when your line length gets closer to running "floor-to-ceiling", at least from the lower mids on up.  Now that you have advanced the state of your art across two or three models in the point source camp, are you tempted to go back to line arrays and figure out how to up the ante a bit?  Just wondering.  I have to say, I am still torn between the two sounds (line array versus point source), I definitely find them to be quite different, and have things I really like about both that puts me at odds most of the time.

Regards,

Greg Jensen

The idea of a 3-way array has  crossed my mind a few times. I would be open to doing a custom design and taller arrays are certainly possible.