Sound quality difference between the Tanzanite and the RC3R??

Rklepl

Hi,

Could someone describe what the differences between the Tanzanite and the RC3R would be? Obviously the Tanzanite uses a better mid-woofer, but I find it interesting that the FR graph on Selah's site shows that the RC3R has much flatter response, why is that? I realize the RC3R will have slightly better bass response, but if they would be used with a subwoofer anyway (in my case), that is not an issue.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2006, 06:23 pm by Rklepl »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Hi,

Could someone describe what the differences between the Tanzanite and the RC3R would be? Obviously the Tanzanite uses a better mid-woofer, but I find it interesting that the FR graph on Selah's site shows that the RC3R has much flatter response, why is that? I realize the RC3R will have slightly better bass response, but if they would be used with a subwoofer anyway (in my case), that is not an issue.

Thanks

Thanks for your Tanzanite order  :D  With a subwoofer I usually suggest the Tanzanite sealed version. The RC3R is popular with our 2-channel customers who benefit from the extra bass extension.

Rick

Rklepl

Hi Rick,

Can't wait to test them out for sure! Am I remembering correctly that I read somewhere that the Tanzanites are being reviewed by some internet publication (a follow-up more detailed review of a shorter version done not long ago)?

I forgot to ask you too why is it that the FR graphs look so different between the Tanzanite and the RC3R in the upper frequencies?

Thanks!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Hi Rick,

Can't wait to test them out for sure! Am I remembering correctly that I read somewhere that the Tanzanites are being reviewed by some internet publication (a follow-up more detailed review of a shorter version done not long ago)?

I forgot to ask you too why is it that the FR graphs look so different between the Tanzanite and the RC3R in the upper frequencies?

Thanks!

The Tanzanite review will be in Positive Feedback's online magazine. I believe the smoothing may have been different for the two response curves. It's been awhile since I did the measurements but it looks like the Tanazanite curve is with no smoothing and the RC3R is 1/12 octave. That would account for some of the difference plus they are voiced a little different.

Rklepl

Cool, that makes sense on all counts. Thanks Rick!!