James, shouldn't this move as well?

yes - thanks :thumb:

james

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
Re: Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle
« Reply #521 on: 27 May 2011, 09:01 pm »
James, wanted to email you about the user manual but I don't know how to get your email address.  How do I contact you.  Thank you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #522 on: 27 May 2011, 09:36 pm »
Jamestanner@Bryston.com

Marius

« Reply #523 on: 29 May 2011, 09:22 am »
Hi James,

I can not find the latest on this one. Can or can't the BDP-1 see a NAS?

Marius

Bryston BDP-1 (Bryston Digital Player)
Moving forward we are going to look at the possibility of integrating a NAS (network attached storage) drive to the BDP-1 so the network would ‘find’ the NAS drive instantly on the network when connected.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #524 on: 29 May 2011, 10:20 am »
Hi James,

I can not find the latest on this one. Can or can't the BDP-1 see a NAS?

Marius

No - sorry - Marius I think there are just too many issues wirth the BDP-1 for you.  Do you not think a NAS with a more traditional computer setup would be the better choice for you?

james

Marius

« Reply #525 on: 30 May 2011, 07:29 am »
Well, James, I don't know.
I wish to buy the BDP BDA combo because of the absolute quality of sound and build, no discussion about that.

Only issue I have is this: In the beginning I wanted  the BDA to have a USB 2 port to enable hirez playback through that port and connect PC/MAc/Nas (indeed streaming anything, from internet radio, locally stored files in an pc/mac, or whatever hirez source comes out of my pc.mac). Sadly the BDA does not have a USB2 and you frequently make clear it wont in the future because Bryston's philosophy is it is better to play files through the BDP-1. Ok, I follow that and I certainly will, but am then left with the problem that the BDP-1 does not connect to a NAS either. The technique of having several HDD's is too complex, unhandy and user-unfriendly to me.

Buying the two machines gives me ultimate playback on digital files. But it seems to me that it is perfection of a system that in it self should be changing also. It now still is indeed what you explain it to be: a cd-player of usb-stored files. A unique and very fine one.
The whole process of ripping cd's, storing them automatically on a NAs and playing from a Nas is left out of your Bryston setup.

Is Bryston going to work on that too?
Just to be clear: I am not looking for the Swiss armyknife you often referr to. I simply have my hopes up for Bryston to enter that part of modern and computer assisted music-handling. Paradigm change is needed?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Marius

No - sorry - Marius I think there are just too many issues wirth the BDP-1 for you.  Do you not think a NAS with a more traditional computer setup would be the better choice for you?

james

skunark

« Reply #526 on: 30 May 2011, 08:05 am »
I wish to buy the BDP BDA combo because of the absolute quality of sound and build, no discussion about that.

Only issue I have is this: In the beginning I wanted  the BDA to have a USB 2 port to enable hirez playback through that port and connect PC/MAc/Nas (indeed streaming anything, from internet radio, locally stored files in an pc/mac, or whatever hirez source comes out of my pc.mac). Sadly the BDA does not have a USB2 and you frequently make clear it wont in the future because Bryston's philosophy is it is better to play files through the BDP-1. Ok, I follow that and I certainly will, but am then left with the problem that the BDP-1 does not connect to a NAS either. The technique of having several HDD's is too complex, unhandy and user-unfriendly to me.

Buying the two machines gives me ultimate playback on digital files. But it seems to me that it is perfection of a system that in it self should be changing also. It now still is indeed what you explain it to be: a cd-player of usb-stored files. A unique and very fine one.
The whole process of ripping cd's, storing them automatically on a NAs and playing from a Nas is left out of your Bryston setup.

Just to be clear: I am not looking for the Swiss armyknife you often referr to. I simply have my hopes up for Bryston to enter that part of modern and computer assisted music-handling. Paradigm change is needed?

Marius

Marius,

I find just using a usb drive formatted to fat32 is enough and just treat the BDP-1 as a NAS itself. When it comes to the cost of the BDP-1, it's not much more to snag a drive.   I personally like this as there's now no influence with network traffic or even the idiosyncrasy with USB DACs.   You can use various clients to sync data between your computer and the BDP or just simply copy new files over and once the files are copied over just ask the BDP to rescan the drives and update the database.

With that said, I think the BDP will play well with any DAC, but I do have to say that the BDA/BDP combo is pretty amazing.   I do have one issue with the power toggle IR codes for the BDA and BDP as they appear to be the same with the BDP shutting off each time I turn on the BDA.... it's a bit annoying  Another annoying tidbit are the 12v triggers with the BDA and BDP as one is the mini-jack and the other is the 2 wire crap, so if you can order them both with one or the other, I would inquire about that.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #527 on: 30 May 2011, 10:31 am »

Marius

Hi Marius,

Granted the BDP-1 was designed as a unique product relative to the way most others are doing it but we felt it provided better performance. We will certainly look at adding additional features going forward but not if they compromise performance. Just look at the measurements in Stereophile - Bit and Depth Perfect all the way to 192/24 in a plug a play component and distortion below the measuring threshold of the best measuring gear in the world :thumb:

james

Marius

« Reply #528 on: 30 May 2011, 11:03 am »
and thats exactly why I want the combo....no doubts there!

adding additional features,as in software updates using the BDP-1, or as in designing a new machine that can do all the other stuff...making it a BDP-2?

Marius

Hi Marius,

Granted the BDP-1 was designed as a unique product relative to the way most others are doing it but we felt it provided better performance. We will certainly look at adding additional features going forward but not if they compromise performance. Just look at the measurements in Stereophile - Bit and Depth Perfect all the way to 192/24 in a plug a play component and distortion below the measuring threshold of the best measuring gear in the world :thumb:

james

Hi Marius

I would certainly look at Software additions to the BDP-1 rather than a new and different product. Example would be the dedicated nas drive we are playing around with now or a chassis that would take 4 plug in 2.5 USB drives and attach to the BDP. 

The nice thing about the BDP is the hardware side is superb and there is room to experiment going forward with additional features.

James
« Last Edit: 30 May 2011, 11:10 am by James Tanner »

Marius

« Reply #529 on: 30 May 2011, 03:01 pm »
certainly hope you go for the NAS addition. Would be the end of a big Quest. And the entrance into the era of computer aided music-systems. Doing that the Bryston way would be the ultimate.

Again, hopes up!
Marius

Hi Marius

I would certainly look at Software additions to the BDP-1 rather than a new and different product. Example would be the dedicated nas drive we are playing around with now or a chassis that would take 4 plug in 2.5 USB drives and attach to the BDP. 

The nice thing about the BDP is the hardware side is superb and there is room to experiment going forward with additional features.

James

lesmarshall

« Reply #530 on: 7 Apr 2012, 01:34 am »
Hi Og,

I have been experimenting at home this weekend and if you want to be on the network then the BDP-1 should work well with any USB drive (that is physically attached to the BDP-1) and has a good interface like Minion or Mpod. If you want to use the front panel display then I think limiting yourself to a thumbdrive makes more sense given the file management issues.  We are working on a ‘Bryston interface’ for the larger computer screens and the itouch as well. The Bryston BR-2 remote works well as a simple forward or back or stop or pause function if your moving through the files one at a time while listening.

I think the issue here is that this is not a product designed for thousands of music files and the management of such.  it is really much more applicable to someone wanting to listen to and have access to hundreds of files rather than thousands.

I have to say though that this product sounds superb.  I am getting terrific resolution and transient response and hearing subtle details I was not as aware of before – really happy with the performance so far!

Here's a shot of the unit at home in soundroom 1.

James

I'm not sure why you say its only designed for someone wanting store hundreds and not thousands of music files because certainly an attached hard drive can store more than a few hundred files. I would not buy a unit that I could only use such a small collection . This can't possibly be what you meant, no?